Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some help on a RAM installation issue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help on a RAM installation issue.

I am not entirely clueless when it came to purchasing the parts for my computer at the end of 2010 and I did fairly well considering what I set out to procure.

A gigabyte GA-X58-USB3
    i7-950 3.06gh
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 2TB Data drive running Win7 Home Premium
    Rosewil 750 PSU
    2x 4gb G.Skill RIpjaw 4gb sticks of ram running at 1333 and this is where my questions starts to come up.

You see, I recently came across an amazing deal online that afforded me the opportunity to buy 2 sets of Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600MHz for a little under $70 a deal my savvy self couldn't pass up.

Now with all this in mind, My conundrum comes with respect to the number of DIMMS slots my mobo has (6) and the number of sticks i can optimally run. I am aware that if I put the 4 corsair and the 2 ripjaw into all 6 slots the sticks would all run at 1333mhz because they would be throttled by the Ripjaw's baseline.

The penultimate question then is: Do I load up just 3 of the Vengeance 4gb 1600's in ddr3 for a total of 12gb or would the full 24gb at 1333 be better, dispite the loss in clock speed?

Sidebar: I realize i could upclock the ripjaw to 1600 but it feels like, to me at least, the jump from 1333 to 1600 seems like a stretch, not to mention I have zero experience with overclocking any hardware. Anyway. Thanks so much for the help and if you need any additional information please ask and I will give it up.
    sigpic

Re: Looking for some help on a RAM installation issue.

Mixing different make, brand and speed of ram can cause problems, best to stick with the new set of corsair.

Here is a link to some good info.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/07...-types-of-ram/

Comment

agreed with mojay. mixing is usually not a good idea for exactly the reasons that article outlines. why not just get another set of those corsair sticks? also, does your motherboard's online manual cite that particular line of corsair ram on its qualified vendors list?
      sigpicBF3

...That's a big twinkie

Comment

If you mix sticks run prime32 for two days and if that works you're good.
        Memory has a tiny effect on performance. When using faster memory in benchmarks the difference is hard to measure it's so small.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X