New stuff coming out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New stuff coming out?

Hey all....I was thinking about upgrading my system but was wondering if intel was coming out with anything new this spring that would dramatically affect pricing on procs? I haven't heard anything but wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

*Edit*- Ok...so I found the stuff about Sandybridge-E. But I don't really understand what I have been reading. So, I guess the question is, should I wait till it comes out? Or spring for a 2500K and mobo (maybe one with PCI 3.0)? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by avenging llama; 11-13-2011, 06:17 AM.
    |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
    I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Re: New stuff coming out?

Originally posted by avenging llama View Post
    Hey all....I was thinking about upgrading my system but was wondering if intel was coming out with anything new this spring that would dramatically affect pricing on procs? I haven't heard anything but wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

*Edit*- Ok...so I found the stuff about Sandybridge-E. But I don't really understand what I have been reading. So, I guess the question is, should I wait till it comes out? Or spring for a 2500K and mobo (maybe one with PCI 3.0)? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Well intel is gonna be releasing their new brand of processors, ivy bridge soon. So you might want to take a look at those.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
      Well intel is gonna be releasing their new brand of processors, ivy bridge soon. So you might want to take a look at those.
      Correction, Intel will be releasing the Sandybridge-E processors shortly. Those will be the expensive 2011 socket processors. Ivy Bridge will be later and be featured on both 1155 and 2011. So if you get a 2500/2600k for example you'll be able to switch it out with Ivy Bridge/Haswell down the road. Then 1155 will be phased out for 1150 after Haswell, so you'll be left with the 1150/2011 sockets. That's your forecast through year 2013.

To answer your question about the SB-E processors and the 2011 socket. This socket will basically be reserved for the "extreme" version of Intel's processors that are typically priced around $1,000. Most consumers just overclock anyways, and for gaming the difference will be minimal.

Also, I believe no graphics card fully utilizes PCI-E 2.0. So we're still aways from that as well. So by the time you have a GPU that utilizes 3.0 you'll most likely be at the point of switching out motherboards again.
      Last edited by Kappa; 11-13-2011, 09:30 AM.
      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I would wait a couple weeks. The Sandy Bridge-E stuff should be coming out this month and while it may be priced for the high end, it will still be worth seeing how it affects pricing (if at all) on the current Sandy Bridge line.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
          I would wait a couple weeks. The Sandy Bridge-E stuff should be coming out this month and while it may be priced for the high end, it will still be worth seeing how it affects pricing (if at all) on the current Sandy Bridge line.
          So your saying that at this stage the 2500/2600k is the one I should update to? I was looking at the SB-E stuff and it looks good. Cost isn't an issue so I might wait to see what they come out with pricing/reviews/OC wise before I buy one.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys....I decided to wait a bit to see what happens =)
            |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
            I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Originally posted by bolagnaise View Post
              So your saying that at this stage the 2500/2600k is the one I should update to? I was looking at the SB-E stuff and it looks good. Cost isn't an issue so I might wait to see what they come out with pricing/reviews/OC wise before I buy one.
              Your saying a CPU alone costing $1000 isn't an issue? Maybe you are feeling generous and can throw in for a new rig for me as well.
              Really though, the SB-E is pretty much just for the hard core overclocking junkies that get off on tweaking, not really the guys looking to game. Buying an E and tweaking it might get you a couple more FPS in BF3, but your money would be better spent getting a new 2600K and upgrading your gfx. card/s every year when the new series comes out. Or even better would be getting some really good extras so you can completly enjoy your game, like setup of multiple top of the line monitors/ headphones/ etc.

I'm really trying to hold off till Ivy Bridge personally. I only want to upgrade my CPU/MB every 3-4 years, with gfx. card about every 2, so it's worth waiting.

And as far as PCI-E 3, the cards will be out in a year or so, and if you keep your MB more than just a couple of years, it's worth going for the PCI-E 3 since there is no way to now how amazing the improvements to cards might be in 2-3 years. I would hate to be kicking myself for not spending the extra $10 now. It might not even be a gfx. card with the new PCI-e ssd cards finally getting price drops.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                Your saying a CPU alone costing $1000 isn't an issue?
                I'm pretty sure there have been reports that the Sandy Bridge-E lineup will include models in the $300-$500 range as well as the Extreme Edition that will run $1000.

Until Intel officially launches the Sandy Bridge-E, the pricing, performance and everything else is pretty much just speculation. But if you want to speculate, here is what I'm expecting to see when SB-E launches:

Performance: Sandy Bridge-E will probably only be slightly faster than an equivalent Sandy Bridge.

Price: The total cost of an SB-E processor/motherboard combination will probably be $100 to $200 more than a SB processor/motherboard combo with similar performance and features.

What Bamboo wrote is true. In all likelihood, the cost of going to SB-E over a regular SB won't be worth it for typical computer workloads and gaming. Even for someone who has a big budget to spend on a new computer, there are plenty of other areas to put that money and get greater returns. Video card is the first thing to come to mind as that has by far the most impact on how fast and pretty your games run/look. Dual monitors are a great investment if you do work on your computer. SSD's are great for OS/applications drive.

But anyways, let me repeat that this is merely speculation. Who knows until SB-E actually launches.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Your saying a CPU alone costing $1000 isn't an issue? Maybe you are feeling generous and can throw in for a new rig for me as well.
                  Lol i just save up every week for upgrades. 50 bucks every week amounts to 2600 a year towards upgrades which can get you a lot. That and I'm in the second highest paid military after Sweden or some euro country. Can't remember which one. Yeah I might go look at a 2600k and an asus Mobo. Any recommendations?
                  sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                  Former ARMA Admin
                  Former ARMA TGU instructor
                  Former TGU Headmaster
                  Current Noob
                  Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Yep, I got that email as well and read the Techreport and Anandtech articles. Until the cheaper 4-core version of Sandy Bridge-E releases next year, the cost of entry for just an SB-E CPU starts at $600 with the Core i7 3930k. Factor in the cost of a motherboard and you're looking at $800-$1000 for just the cpu/mobo combo. With gaming performance being completely bottlenecked by the GPU in most games, I would have a hard time justifying an SB-E over regular SB for gaming.

Yeah I might go look at a 2600k and an asus Mobo. Any recommendations?
                    Asus P8Z68-V Pro is pretty awesome, comes with a ton of features and is still reasonably priced at $210. There are also cheaper versions of the P8Z68 too.

Comment

LOL....I received the same e-mail about the new procs. Talk about timing eh? Kinda bums me out though, was hoping something would be released that would drive some prices down. :(
                      |TG-Irr|Avengingllama

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                        Yep, I got that email as well and read the Techreport and Anandtech articles. Until the cheaper 4-core version of Sandy Bridge-E releases next year, the cost of entry for just an SB-E CPU starts at $600 with the Core i7 3930k. Factor in the cost of a motherboard and you're looking at $800-$1000 for just the cpu/mobo combo. With gaming performance being completely bottlenecked by the GPU in most games, I would have a hard time justifying an SB-E over regular SB for gaming.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro is pretty awesome, comes with a ton of features and is still reasonably priced at $210. There are also cheaper versions of the P8Z68 too.

By the way, if that is the same video on newegg explaining the differences in models that they had up when the boards first came out, it was a really good watch. Helped explain stuff so just about anyone could understand, or at least help them know what further questions to ask, like what is a SATA port and how many do I need/want.

It is good to watch just to know what options there are so even if you don't go with an Asus, you know what to look for on like a Gig board.

I will mention the day after BF3 hit I was really considering doing a crash upgrade, and I had put the Pro MB in my wishlist. It has just about all the features I would look for, and a crazy cheap price.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yep, many of those Newegg videos are quite informative and it's always nice when you're shopping for parts and they happen to have relevant videos for the items you're looking at.

I also wanted to add that I realize I probably sound like an Asus sales rep since I'm always recommending Asus motherboards over everything else. They're my preferred choice after years of building PCs, but you really can't go wrong with Gigabyte or MSI either.

Comment

Any word on whether the release of Sandybridge-E will drive prices for regular Sandybridge procs down? I'm really itching to upgrade considering one of my current DDR2 sticks up and died last night.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X