Alienware CPU Overkill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alienware CPU Overkill?

I'm purchasing a new computer so i can finally get back into gaming and play BF3 with you guys. The computer which i am looking at comes with: Intel® Core™ i5-2300 (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz , but for $150 more I can get: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. My budget is stretched to the limit, however, so i dont know if it's worth the investment. What do you guys think?

Here are the other Stats:
    Software & Services

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit

MEMORY 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz edit

VIDEO CARD Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545 - SLI Enabled edit

HARD DRIVE 1TB (2x 500GB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2x 16MB Cache) edit

SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW) edit

CHASIS: Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling

Thanks for any advice...i appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Dirt013; 11-14-2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: Sp
    Dirt013

Re: Alienware CPU Overkill?

Just curious, but how much does that Alienware PC cost with that configuration?

Also, a dual GeForce GT 545 SLI video card setup? That sounds like a terrible idea. After a quick search it appears the GT 545 is an OEM-only lower end video card. I think you would be much better off getting a single video card in the range of a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6850.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I would suggest against buying an Alienware because you are mostly paying for the name not what's inside the computer but that's just my 2cents.

Comment

So what would you recommend, other than building my own?
        Dirt013

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
          Just curious, but how much does that Alienware PC cost with that configuration?

Also, a dual GeForce GT 545 SLI video card setup? That sounds like a terrible idea. After a quick search it appears the GT 545 is an OEM-only lower end video card. I think you would be much better off getting a single video card in the range of a GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6850.
          $1399
          Dirt013

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt013 View Post
            $1399
            thats a good bit of cash. Does that include the 2500k?

Any reason why you don't want to build your own? Its extremely easy to do. Plug and play now a days.

Comment

If you have to go the laptop route for gaming then I believe Sager is better overall.
              A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Agreed machowner, it is quite a chunk of change. Would you be interested in suggesting comprable componets to those listed above for my own build? I suppose it would be ALOT cheaper. Specifically, CPU, Graphic card and MOBO, as well as power supply and chasis. (preferably liquid cooled.) I think i'd go with a solid state hard drive as well. Anyone who'd like to offer suggestions on a build, would be appreciated. I'll find the parts, just need pointed in the right direction i guess, since i'm a newb at this. I guess i'd like to spend around a grand (+) if i'm doing it myself.
                Last edited by Dirt013; 11-14-2011, 09:21 PM.
                Dirt013

Comment

No interest in a laptop Kappa, but thanks.
                  Dirt013

Comment

If you are really looking for liquid cooling, I can't help much. I stay away from it, except for a h100 cpu cooler.

I could be wrong, but I think the only advantage of liquid cooling for the average gamer would be a quiet system. Besides that air cooling is pretty good for 99% of most applications.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                      If you are really looking for liquid cooling, I can't help much. I stay away from it, except for a h100 cpu cooler.

I could be wrong, but I think the only advantage of liquid cooling for the average gamer would be a quiet system. Besides that air cooling is pretty good for 99% of most applications.
                      Ok, well the chasis isn't such a big deal, i'm more concerned about the other componets. Do you think going with alienware is a total rip off?

Heres my new build:

Software & Services
                      PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-2500K (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz
                      OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
                      MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
                      VIDEO CARD 1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 Ti
                      HARD DRIVE 500GB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200 RPM) Solid State Hybrid
                      SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
                      OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
                      CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
                      COOLING OPTION Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling

$1599

I can put $600 down, then as long as I pay the rest off within a year, no interest. Free shipping and no tax. Plus my credit sucks, and if i pay this off in a timely manner it would go along way in rebuildiong my credit. What do you guys think?
                      Dirt013

Comment

Off topic I know, but if you are going thru one of the rent-to-own places and they told you it would rebuild your credit you may want to do some research on that. AFAIK rent to own can only hurt your credit.
                        |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

If you really must go with the prebuilt route, check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ It's a lot cheaper than Alienware and their desktops are highly customizable. You just won't get any name brand cachet. (Free liquid cooling and RAM upgrade on all their desktops is the November special.)

A quick test build from the Z68 model got me:

CPU: i5-2500k with free liquid cooling upgrade
                          700 watt PSU
                          VIDEO: Nvidia GTX 560 2GB (You can opt for the Ti version, which is slightly faster with less memory and the one in your Alienware config, for $6 more)
                          Hard drive: 300GB 10,000 RPM Raptor
                          Memory: 8GB 1600Mhz
                          Windows Home Premium
                          BluRay reader optical drive

Price: $1114

This is basically your Alienware configuration, with a faster hard drive, faster RAM, more video card memory - though same card - and liquid cooling. And it's almost $500 less. So, yes, Alienware is a total ripoff. That Alienware build costs almost 50% more than this thing, unless the Alienware comes with a monitor or other stuff you haven't mentioned. No free shipping here though.

Llama, sounds like he's looking to finance it - not the same as rent to own. But they might not allow you to finance it if your credit is really bad.

Another place to look is http://www.ibuypower.com/ The website is set up similarly and the prices and options are comparable, except this place defaults you to a windows home premiums OS. Cyberpower doesn't, so you have to remember to manually add it.

Comment

Originally posted by avenging llama View Post
                            Off topic I know, but if you are going thru one of the rent-to-own places and they told you it would rebuild your credit you may want to do some research on that. AFAIK rent to own can only hurt your credit.
                            Rgr that Llama, it's NOT rent to own, I'd NEVER go to one of those places; NOT that stupid, this is more like a no interest loan. Thanks for the advice though, I totally agree with you.
                            Dirt013

Comment

THanks Alot Sordave, I'll be looking into that tomorrow.
                              Dirt013

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X