Budget Conscious GPU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Conscious GPU

My PC is getting on now, it was built in the summer of '08 and has served me well - whilst I would love to spend on a new setup money does not run as freely as it used to!

It's based on a Foxconn Mars mobo, with a G0 stepped Q6600 and 4GB of OCz Platinum Pc2-6400. Whilst no longer top of the line I am fairly comfortable that my bottlenecks are found in my GPU (but please correct me if you think I am wrong - you'll save me money!).

I have an XFX Geforce 9600 GTS 512Mb.

Which range of the many GPU releases in the last 3 years is the best to be looking at to increase my FPS, and ideally have me running at 1900x1200. I am not so concerned with these 'ultra' graphics settings, but 'high' would be nice. I have a feeling at some point, no matter how good the card other parts of the system will become the bottleneck - I want to push it to this threshold and no further.

Re: Budget Conscious GPU

What is your price range? Nvidia's 560 line seems to me a good mid range card. At around $200, it's performance is excellent and should last you another few years.

Comment

rhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814102908
      I have this card. Runs BF3 on auto at all high settings. Space marine maxed. OC's okish, just had to mod some heat sinks onto the onboard VRMs as the heat sink and fan only cooled the processor on the card. Other than that, works like a champ with proper cooling never gets above 53C under full load :)

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

There isn't a budget per se (thats the problem with finding out your contract could be up in a month!!!) - but the suggestions I get I decide if I think I can stretch to a new card or just hang in for better times. Both of the above suggested are more than I would like to spend but still in the feasible if I budget carefully. I also probably should have said likely games are BF3 and Arma 2.

Comment

You could also look in to the Nvidia 550 Ti series. It's in the $135 range and it'll run BF3.

Comment

I just realized i put an "r" in front of the link. lol sorry about that. That card is about 144 + shipping. But you could get a 6770 from XFX for about 124, and there are a few gts 450s i think around that mark as well as a couple gtx 260. not sure how these cards would run bf3 per say but if your looking for medium to low settings, very playable settings, then maybe this is the price range your looking for? That and with black friday and stuff coming up and the online black monday deal they do now you could probably snag a better card than these for the same price.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Someone is selling a used 4870 in the buy/sell section for $40. Go get that.

Comment

Regrettably I am in the UK so shipping and Customs could prove a small problem - I definitely wish I could get dollar pricing here in the UK however!

EDIT - Well, a bargains a bargain and I found a ZOTAC GTX470 with 1280Mb for 109 on clearance in my city - deliberated long on whether to grab or not but decided it was saving me 50 or so.
                Last edited by DingoDv; 11-22-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X