Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Shooting New Build

Hey guys,

Some of you might remember me from a few weeks ago when I submitted my build for editing/suggestions here in the hardware forum.

Well I finally did buy the parts and I just built it on Wednesday of this week. So far everything has been running pretty smoothly and I am really happy with it. There are two issues that I currently am having trouble with though and I figured maybe you can help.

Issue #1: This is probably what concerns me the most and I am not really sure why the computer is doing this but whenever I turn it on the lights on the case fans will light up and start spinning and the computer emits the usual soft thrum of activity for about 5-10 seconds and then it just shuts off for about 5 seconds or so. Then it starts up again and it loads windows, good to go. Then this morning as I was booting it up to go make this post it did the whole spooling up then shutting off thing twice before loading windows which has got me concerned. I am really not sure what this could be and whether or not something is terribly awry so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Issue #2: This issue involves my monitor and I just updated my drivers for it this morning so the problem may be fixed, I will have to wait and see. Anyways, when ever my computer goes into sleep mode or it has been sitting unused for a couple hours the monitor goes into sleep mode as usual however, when I push the power button to bring the computer out of sleep mode and/or cycle power on the monitor to bring it out of sleep mode it says no signal and then goes back into sleep mode after a bit. This happens even when the computer is on and running, with restarting the computer being the only option to regaining signal to the monitor. This in turn leads to issue #1 happening more frequently.

My build:
    i7 2600k
    EVGA GTX 570 superclocked
    ASUS P8P67 mobo
    Corsair HX750 Professional
    16gb of G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Corsair 600T Limited Edition White Graphite case

I really feel like issue #1 is bad for the components and just seems very wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    lTG-Irrl Argetnar
    If you hear the chatter of my Vossaraptor you're already dead.
    "Squad attack Tollhouse!" Experiment626
    "Cookies?" Argetnar
    "Yes bring your cookies too!" Experiment626
    sigpic

Re: Trouble Shooting New Build

I think I have had this problem (#1) before but I can't remember what the issue was.

I would probably remove all your hardware components (including gpu) except for 1 stick of RAM, cpu, boot drive, and psu. See how that behaves, and then start adding components back in. That will give you something to do until someone else comes along with a more helpful comment.
    Viking

Comment

Update: I let my computer slip into sleep mode then tried to turn it on. The system turned on and again no monitor display. Powered down and restarted. Then I decided to enter the bios and just check around and everything seemed ok. Loaded into windows but before it did it gave me a message saying something about memory not being carried over the hibernate transition and that my firmware needed updating or something. I think it was referring to windows so does that mean I need to update my drivers for windows or something?
      lTG-Irrl Argetnar
      "Cookies?" Argetnar
      sigpic

Comment

I recently had a similar problem on one of my systems and it turned out to be bad ram. try taking out 2 sticks, boot, if successful, swap out the ram and try to boot again. if still boots, try memtest. or try memtest first, whichever. I just do the ram swap first because it is faster than running memtest for a few hours ;)
        |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Ok. Could it be that the sticks are not pushed in all the way or that maybe the ports on the motherboard are damaged?

BTW My monitor still is not coming out of sleep mode even with the new drivers installed. Could it be that the drivers for my mouse are old and that somehow after going into and then coming out of sleep mode the mouse isn't recognized?
          lTG-Irrl Argetnar
          "Cookies?" Argetnar
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Argetnar View Post
            ... Loaded into windows but before it did it gave me a message saying something about memory not being carried over the hibernate transition and that my firmware needed updating or something.
            The 'or somethings' in there may be quite important for finding the cause of your problems. Write them up next time and google for them.

Check with ASUS what the latest BIOS for your motherboard is and update if necessary. Then check all the drivers (esp the Intel chipset and graphics drivers) and make sure they are up to date.

Intel has a plugin that checks your drivers, and ASUS probably has a web page with the latest drivers.

If that doesn't help remove peripherals, leave only one stick of memory and test again.

Also look in the windows event viewer/system logs for problems. There may be a hint in there.
            Last edited by marstein; 11-27-2011, 01:47 AM. Reason: addtl info

Comment

I don't think your drivers have anything to do with this. Especially the problem with your computer shutting down during boot and starting back up. The drivers haven't even loaded yet in the boot process.

The very first thing you need to try is what Viking and Llama pointed out. Take out all the memory execpt 1 or 2 sticks and try booting and seeing if that helps. If you still have the boot problem, try it with a different stick of memory. This is just a rudimentary test to see if any of your memory sticks are bad. If your boot problem persists regardless of which memory stick is installed, the next step would be to run memtest 86 and see if your memory returns any errors. This test takes a few hours so do it overnight or something.

If your memory is ok, the other two possible culprits are the motherboard or PSU. The next thing I would try is flashing your motherboard's BIOS to the latest firmware as Marstein pointed out. You may have gotten a motherboard with an older BIOS installed.

Try both of those things first and report back.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I have an ASUS board. It's an AMD one, but it's something that alot of newer ASUS boards do. they double post the bios screen. It's kinda annoying, have not read anything about ASUS boards having issues starting boot shut down then boot up.

Example my comp turns on, fans go, lights on mem test runs on the board screen comes on flashes ASUS Bios screen, then goes black. Case fans and system keeps running and continues post as normal. It's annoying.

Also check your bios for #2 to make sure the primary display is PCI-E and not the default. ASUS UEFI dose not always set the display adaptor to your card. that may help bring hte monitor out of sleep mode. and It may fix #1 as well, causing it boot, catches the GPU then restarts boot using your GPU as the connected display adapter.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

OK. I think I read somewhere the ASUS boards do that double start thing. However, unlike you belander, the case lights and fans DO turn off and I never see anything on the screen until it starts to turn on again. The screen does light up though but its just black, then it shuts off and then turns on when the system does boot.

Something that I forgot to mention and was just reminded of as my comp did it again today, is that when starting up the system should turn on then off then on more than once it starts booting and I get an error message saying overclocking failed. I thought this was kind of weird because I haven't overclocked anything yet. I did however change the performance profile in the UEFI EZ mode to the higher option (out of 3, one being low power consumption profile, another being regular, and the one I selected is the performance profile). Could this be the source of the double boot?

I am really hesitant to flash my BIOS as I heard it can really screw things up. However if/when I do, in order to do it I burn the ROM file onto a CD then boot the computer up and it updates it, correct?
                  lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                  "Cookies?" Argetnar
                  sigpic

Comment

Flashing the BIOS is pretty simple. Leave the disk in the drive. restart. Sometimes you need to go into the bios and change the boot device from your HD or SSD to your CD drive/DVD drive But that is a different matter for now.

As per the double boot. I have had my system set to all 3 profiles just too see what it sets things too. In the long run I went into the advanced menu and used the AI tweaker to OC my system.

Alright the error saying that your overclock has failed. THAT"S the BINGO! My guess would be, narrowing it down a bit here.
                    #1 You have a or multiple sticks of ram that are not clocking to the right speed with the default performance profile
                    #2 The performance setting is setting your CPU clock to a certain preset speed/OC but incorrectly giving it enough:
                    voltage
                    NB compatibility not being bumped up enough
                    BIOS out of date? for the 2600k? not sure why this would be but you never know. ?QUESTION? What is your BIOS version?

Check your Memory with the MEM Ok button on the board and see if it passes. if not then That narrows it down to the ram which could be hardware/settings.

Also have you tried the low power consumption option? If not could you try that and restart the machine. Be interesting to know if you STILL get the Overclock has failed wrror.

sigpic

Comment

My money is on the memory clock. Sounds like the board is defaulting to a speed higher than his memory wants to run at

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Ya. That's my liking. If thats the case then you will need to set the timings and voltage manually in the bios. Keep in mind if it is that and you do set it, but then OC your system you may want to double check your timings after each bench you try to push to too make sure it stays the same.

sigpic

Comment

Alright well I just set it down to the stock profile (not the energy saving one) and rebooted and it booted normally so that takes care of that. I also managed to solve issue #2 by turning off monitor sleep mode under control panel power profiles ( I think my monitor has its own sleep mode and the control panel one was interfering with it).

Now the question is where do I go from here? Do I flash my BIOS or should I leave it? Would that resolve the overclock failed issue if I did flash it and select the high performance profile? Should I still run memtest?

If I have a defective stick of RAM I would like to fix the problem on warranty instead of buying more.
                          lTG-Irrl Argetnar
                          "Cookies?" Argetnar
                          sigpic

Comment

If everything is working fine right now, there's no reason to flash your BIOS. You really only want to flash your BIOS when your motherboard isn't working properly. I wouldn't worry about the high performance profile either. I doubt it made much of a difference and it's hard to say what those pre-baked settings changed from default. If you're really interested in increasing performance then manually overclocking your CPU is a better option.

But really I would just recommend not doing anything and enjoying your problem-free computer :)
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

With a ASUS board myself, the reason you see the "overclock failed" error message is because your system abrupted powered off then on. This usually triggers some ASUS boards to reset your BIOS settings to default and thus if you had OCed your system, it would just revert to stock rather than leaving you in a lurch because of a bad OC setting and forcing you to clear CMOS (battery removal). Also helps to prevent any damage to your hardware because of the bad OC. The board defaults to that error message whenever you abruptly power your system off then on as it's a trigger that's associated with a bad OC.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X