Computer upgrade question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer upgrade question

It's that time again, feel like my computer needs a decent upgrade. But here's the thing, my budget is max 200, just can't afford to drop more money into my rig.

Basically my current setup is :
    ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
    Intel core2 duo e8500 @3.16
    4gb RAM
    Ati Radeon 4870HD

Now I was wondering, should I hit up my motherboard+CPU or GPU. My friend upgraded his GPU and he's pretty happy with his rig (same rig as mine, except for the new upgraded GPU ofc). Or should I wait and upgrade everything together, or just buy a new one? Don't know what case I'm using but it's pretty decent I'd say, kinda looks like a alienware case.

Look for some hardware wisdom and people to debate this over with. I also play BF3 and my settings are low-med, although I lagg out and models (soldiers) load slowly which means that if I do a 360 turn I won't see everyone in the next 2 seconds.
    ˝Memento audere semper˝

Re: Computer upgrade question

Upgrade just your GPU. If you went up to a GTX 560 Ti or something similar, you would get a noticeable jump in performance and playability in BF3. Your CPU + Motherboard are getting long in the tooth and it will limit the performance you squeeze out of any new GPU you get, but you can still get by with it until you have the budget to swap out the platform.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

So basically GPU upgrade is the way to go right now. Would you recommend the GTX 560 Ti especially or some other card? I'm kinda a Radeon fan, but even more than that I'm a 'best performace/€ ' fan so that doesn't really matter. Is the GTX 560 Ti better than the Radeon 6950? I see they're pretty much the same price but according to Tom's hardware GPU chart the 6950 is a little better than the 560 Ti.

Edit: a thing I'd like to note, I have a 650W PSU, is that sufficient for either of the above stated cards?
      ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

nvidia and AMD pretty much match each others performance at every price point so picking between them really comes down to bias. I'm biased towards nvidia because I feel their cards run into fewer driver issues, but many people like AMD more. I think you should pick up the best performing video card that fits in your budget and choose whatever brand you're more comfortable with.

650W is sufficient for any single graphics card.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I agree with Vodoo. Upgrade your GPU you can carry it to your next build. try to think long term when you make the purchase.
          I also go for a 64bit OS if you don't have one already.
          Other than that save up your money for a new MB and CPU.that way you can spread out the cost of your next big upgrade.
          Sarcoma.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

So basically this is the GPU i'm looking to buy.

http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/1030480...-gb-gddr5.html
            ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

I currently have a Sapphire HD 6850. On stock settings it runs BF3 on auto on all HIGH settings. I OC'd the card quite a bit. Chews up BF3 on high without any studdering around 50-60ish fps. Be a decent price drop but if you can afford a 6950 I say go for it.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

I could afford it yes but if you say that the 6850 runs BF3 on high, do I really need the 6950? Or would the 6850 become outdated too fast so that I'm really better of with the 6950?

Right now we narrowed it down to the 6850 and 6950, what do you guys think?

http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/7594804...tml#pix-review

or

http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/1030480...-gb-gddr5.html

Personally while I could afford the 6950 the extra saved cash would mean I could get a headset and maybe a new monitor since my current one is pretty trash.
                ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

6950.....think long term. You would be able to bring that card into your next build. The 7000 series is close to coming out soon, going with the 6850 would put you 3 generations back right out of the gate.
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Think ahead, this is the card for your NEXT build! Not just an upgrade for your last build.
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

6950 is the better of the two especially for long term. I'm beating my 6850 to death just for the fun of it. It's a real champ but for long term the 6950 is better. Come spring I am upgrading to 2x 6950's or 6970s for Xfire depending on what the 7xxx series benchmarks does and the prices.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Keep in mind that a processor upgrade would help you in BF3 not because of the extra cores (it doesn't utilize more than 2 it seems), but because of improvements in hardware and architecture. In the end, every reply so far is pretty spot on, you need a GPU upgrade. I'd go for at least a HD6850 or a GTX460. If you must have a GTX5xx series card, skip the GTX550Ti.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

BF3 does utilize more than 2 cores, in multiplayer. Most of the reviews I have seen saying otherwise were pulling that conclusion from singleplayer.

You really need to upgrade both to keep a balanced system. GPU will allow you more seetings to high. CPU would not, however you would likely have less slowdowns during those intense moments where a stable framerate is key.
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Definitely upgrade your video card so it's worthy enough to put into your new build. Beyond that you should look at purchasing some more RAM as it is quite cheap now and although it wont speed up your computer a ton it will help when running multiple programs such as BF3, Origin, Web Browser, TS3, Fraps, and all that other stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                              Definitely upgrade your video card so it's worthy enough to put into your new build. Beyond that you should look at purchasing some more RAM as it is quite cheap now and although it wont speed up your computer a ton it will help when running multiple programs such as BF3, Origin, Web Browser, TS3, Fraps, and all that other stuff.
                              I ran a RAM test the other day. With chrome,TS,MSN,MSI afterburner open and encoding a video on windows movie maker I could not get the RAM usage above 5gb.
                              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                              Former ARMA Admin
                              Former ARMA TGU instructor
                              Former TGU Headmaster
                              Current Noob
                              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse