Upgrade: Advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade: Advice needed

Hey guys and gals it's time for me to upgrade an aging 9800GTX. I noticed that the video cards I am looking at are now using a 6 and a 6+2 pin for the power. My old PSU is a PC&PC Silencer 750 EPS12V which has only 6 pin connectors. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Agapito

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    System Model: TA790GX A3+
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM DDR3
    Power Supply:PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 EPS12V 750W EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
    Display Memory: 2287 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Power Supply:

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply $149.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703028

Video Card:

ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 $339.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121432

XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP $329.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150517

Re: Upgrade: Advice needed

I am not sure on your PSU, if you need a new one or not that is. Although I heard it can be a good practice to replace your PSU every few years...but really it is a matter of luck I guess, some nice PSUs will die in a year and others seem to last forever. Your PSU is definitely efficient than it was when you first got it so it is probably not putting out 750w, although 750w is over kill for a GTX 570 so you will probably be fine if the connectors work out.
    I guess the point I was trying to make is, do not feel bad about replacing a PSU and getting a fresh one in your system (especially if you plan to overclock).

The GTX 570 is a nice card though. In my opinion it is the best card you can get before you hitting large diminishing returns, (paying a lot more for little improvement).

Comment

I highly advise against buying the XFX HD-697A-CNFC .
      THe fan is so freaking loud it will drive your neighbors nuts.
      If you can find the XFX HD-697A-CNFR it's a bit quieter. Though the XFX 69XX's are quite loud in general.

Truly try to save another 20 or 30 bucks and get a 6950 or 6970 with a two fan solution.

Also, you can buy a PCIE 6 pin to 6+2 pin adapter for 5 to 10 bucks... cheapest route. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT ADAPTER.
      http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g11/...ers-Page1.html
      litoralis, litoralis, litorale, adj (Latin)
      1. of the seashore
      2. Beach bum

Comment

If you can wait, the new ATi 7000 series should be out early next year (Feb-March from what I've seen) which should drive prices of these cards down.

I wouldn't buy a 6000 series card from ATi. I just feel like they aren't really that big of a leap from 5000 series. That said, my 5850 is still fairly good, but I'm looking to upgrade early next year.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

If im looking at the ASUS 570gtx page correctly it includes a 2x6 pin to 6+2 pin adaptor so you dont need to go out and buy another one as LITOralis2 suggested. As for your PSU, the 750w one that you currently have should provide plenty of power for the 570gtx or the 6970.

Comment

That's weird, I have a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer and it had two 6+2 pins. It's powering my GTX 580 so I know it has one and I remember thinking I could theoretically connect two GTX 580s with the available pins. You should double check and make sure your PSU does or doesn't have the pins and if it doesn't you should just get an adapter. Either way, a PSU upgrade is totally not necessary.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
              That's weird, I have a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer and it had two 6+2 pins. It's powering my GTX 580 so I know it has one and I remember thinking I could theoretically connect two GTX 580s with the available pins. You should double check and make sure your PSU does or doesn't have the pins and if it doesn't you should just get an adapter. Either way, a PSU upgrade is totally not necessary.
              After confirming with my purchase history, I have that PSU as well and mine also has the two 6 + 2 connectors.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I have had my PCPC PSU since 12/20/2006. Never had a problem with it. I will look in the original box for the adapaters since I keep all my hardware boxes in case i need them.

PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703006

LITOralis2.nmd, have you ever heard a 9800GTX on full. I think I can handle the noise of just about any fan that a card may have. :)

Comment

With regards to the 6/6+2 power port the 570 needs. The card does indeed come with an adapter but, do I need to plug in two of the 6 pins to power that one 6+2 port? If so then maybe I do need to upgrade my powersupply since I won't have enough 6pin connectors on my PSU that only came with 2 6pin connectors.

Comment

Upgrading your PSU maybe a good idea. Your PSU is 5 years old, still holds up which is great! But you know I'm a nut for new hardware and the efficiency, and future upgrade-ability would be a huge plus with a new PSU. A decent 750w gaming series would hold you over for quite some time. I have an ANTEC 750w high Current Gaming Series PSU and it is running my water cooled system moderately OC'd *ram, cpu 4.113Ghz, and heavily OC'd 6850* with plenty of room to spare.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
                      I have had my PCPC PSU since 12/20/2006.
                      Ah ok that makes sense. I got my PC P&C unit in 2009 so my model was probably updated with the 6+2 pins and I'm guessing Spyder has one of the newer models as well.

I still think you should keep your current PSU because it is a really high quality unit and should still provide plenty of power. If you're short on 6 pin PCI-e connectors you can pick up one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200106

It's a simple adapter that converts two 4-pin Molex connectors into one 6-pin PCI Express connector.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

OP's original 750W is more than enough to power any of the video cards he's looking at. If he needs a 8-pin, there are adapters out there that will convert 4-pin molexes to 8-pins and 6-pins to 8-pins.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X