Best way to reinstall Win 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to reinstall Win 7

I have the daunting task of reinstalling the OS on my wife and I's machine, this week. I want to make this reinstall as seemless as possible for my wife and would like to do it in as short of time as possible. I am replacing the motherboard and processor in both machines. I know I dont HAVE to reinstall her OS, but would like to reduce any possible issues down the road. What I am looking for is suggestions, links to guides or ideas on how to make this an easy and painless transition.

|TG-IRR|

Re: Best way to reinstall Win 7

3 ways to do it.

(I will assume you have a Windows 7 installation DVD and the valid CD Keys to make this work. Also, remember if your CD Key was used before, you'll have to call Microsoft and have them issue a new one.)
    (Also - Just so we are clear: you can try this, and it may work wonderfully, but I am not to blame / liable for your OS installation going the way of the dinosaurs.)

------------------------------------------
    1) (My favorite.) Windows Easy Transfer and Sysprep.

Step One: Click Start, type Easy Transfer into the search box, and open the Windows Easy Transfer wizard. Tell it you will save it to an external drive, and that this is your old computer. (Have an external drive ready, USB flash drive, or save it to C:\ and transfer it to a network location later.) You can accept the defaults for the profiles it will back up, but if you have any special folders you need to make sure are included, *DON'T FORGET* to select Customize under Shared Items and then select those folders. Let it go through and backup your stuff.

Step Two: Sysprep the existing hard drive for reinsertion into another computer. Please read: What is Sysprep? How To Sysprep Windows 7
    You can either run sysprep.exe to view the GUI, or use a command line: sysprep.exe [/oobe | /audit] [/generalize] [/reboot | /shutdown | /quit] [/quiet] [/unattend:answerfile]
    For example - to strip the OS of all ID's and drivers, so that it is fresh and ready for installation on a new computer, we would use: sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown
    Sysprep will perform it's tasks, ready the Windows 7 installation for insertion into the new computer, and then shutdown. (Don't power on the computer after this, or you'll have to configure it then start all over.)

Step Three: Take the hard drive and plug it into your new computer, then power it on. Windows will begin the setup and configuration oobe (out of box experience) just as if you had freshly installed Win7 to that drive!

Step Three: Click Start, search for Easy Transfer, and recover your saved .MIG file from Step One. (Its so easy, a cave man could do it... which is why I don't elaborate on the specific steps to recover the data.)

2) Windows Easy Transfer / Repair or In-Place Install of Windows 7

*In theory, plugging the hard drive into a new computer will work. It will try to load the drivers it needs automatically, and should remain stable even if it missed some. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. If something does go wrong, you can run a repair to fix the issue and recover your OS.*

Step One: Run the Windows Easy Transfer as described above. (Just because its good to have some kind of backup when you muss with the OS.)

Step Two: Insert Hard Drive into new PC. Boot to the hard drive and see if Windows 7 works.

Step Two Point Five: (Optional.) Cross fingers. Pray. Rock back and forth in your chair repeating your favorite voodoo chant.

Step Three: (If needed.) If you get any boot errors, follow the Win7 repair process. Insert Win7 installation DVD into DVD-ROM. Boot from DVD-ROM and perform the Repair / In-Place Install of Windows 7. http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ive-reinstall/

Step Four: Load missing chipset drivers, if any.

3) Windows Easy Transfer and complete reinstallation of Windows 7

Step One: Run the Windows Easy Transfer as described above. (Must do this to preserve your data!)

Step Two: Mount your Windows 7 installation DVD to the DVD drive, format your C: Drive, do a fresh install of Win7.

Step Three: Use Easy Transfer to recover your user accounts and files.
    Last edited by Grieg; 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM.
    sigpic
    Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Comment

Also - before doing any of those steps, make sure you download all of the device drivers for your hardware. Such as: Chipset drivers for your motherboard, video card drivers for the GPU, Audio drivers, etc...

It is handy to have them all on a flash drive ready to go.

Honestly, I think options 1 and 3 are the best, but I can see the value of preserving all your data, drivers, and file structures.
      sigpic
      Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Comment

Don't forget the articles linked in the first post of the Windows 7 sticky at the top of this forum.
        Link:
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ga-sticky.html

I'm actually there right now because I just bought an SSD and am getting a quick refresh.
        The articles are under "I bought it, now how do I install it the right way?"

I'm about to backup Steam and Itunes now and it explains how.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The only time you don't have to reinstall/repair Windows 7 is if the new mobo is the same chipset as the old one. If the new mobo is a new chipset, you'll have to either do a in-place repair or reinstall completely (recommended).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thank you for the very detailed response. This is why I come to you guys. My wife is going from a very old AMD Sempron, single core chip to an AMD Athlon II X2 270 Regor 3.4GHz Socket AM3 on an A785 chipset. I am going from an Intel Q6600 on P45 chipset to an Intel I5 2500k on Z68 chipset. So I will be going with option 1 from your first response. That seems to be the best way to go, for a seamless migration to the new chipsets.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Sysprep works quite well. Just keep in mind it puts Win7 back into a pre-installation mode, so all user accounts go bye bye. Hence the Easy Transfer method, which is also quite nice. This is the method I use at work when upgrading or replacing computers. Pretty painless.
              sigpic

Comment

I contacted a friend of mine, about your advice. He is also a computer guy and the first person I talk to about these kinda things. He really liked it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

|TG-IRR|

Comment

So the update has been mostly completed. On my wife's system, I ran the Easy Transfer, sysprep'd, out with the old and in with the new, and restarted. Here is where things got alittle weird. The drive still had my wife's old profile on there with all the programs installed. When Win 7 asked for the new username and computer name, I tried using her same name from the old system. It wouldnt let me. No big deal, put up a new account, ran the rest of the install, bingo bango her system is up and running. Ran some updates to the OS and new hardware drivers. The whole thing lasted a couple of hours. She is in love.

My rebuild couldnt have gone any rougher. Followed the same basic steps as describe by Grieg. Easy transfer, sysprep and rebuild. Reinstall win 7 and ran into the same problems as on my wife's system. Had the old profile still on. Along with the above mentioned issues, I started having random crashes, corrupted video, black screens during windows update. I started rebuilding both my wife and I's systems at about 4pm yesterday. My wifes was complete around 6, I started my rebuild during the tail end of her updating. By 10pm, I was still having corrupted AMD/ATI driver issues. Even after uninstalling, reinstalling, driversweeper and just about every trick I could think of. After awhile, I figured out the cardd wasnt completed seated, but this only fixed some of the problems. Still was having issues with random video corruption issues and the system locking up after flashing to a black screen during windows updates.

Decided to screw attempting to fix a broken install and completely wiped the drive and started anew. This seemed to work for awhile, but random video corruption and black screens during windows updates were still keeping the system from running stable. I had noticed that pushing up on the video card would fix some of the corruption issues, but not all the time. So this afternoon I removed the video card, installed it in the lower PCI-E slot, removed ATI drivers, rebooted, driversweeper, reinstall ATI drivers and so far so good. Been running on about three hours with our video corruption or black screens during windows update. I have a feeling this motherboard is defective and will be contacting Newegg later today about it.

BTW, components installed on my new system:
                  Intel i5 2500k
                  ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
                  G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 160

Parts carried over:
                  XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
                  Corsair 650TX
                  Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
                  Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Did you remember to connect the 6/8-pin PCI-E power connector to your video card when you rebuilt your system? Not having enough power to the card also causes black screens randomly.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeap, both 6 pin PCI-E connectors are connected. I am RMAing the board through Newegg.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Just out of curiosity, when you say your video card wasnt seated properly...do you mean in the pci-e slot or on the back panel mount? I ask this because I once made the mistake of forgetting to screw down the back panel mount and my video card was hanging precariously off the pci-e slot and actually bent it a bit. Is it possible you did the same and you broke a solder joint? Just a shot in the dark haha
                        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I dont think that I pushed in all the way, is what I mean. After I removed the card and reseated it, it seemed to work properly for awhile. Then started having issues again. Removed the card from the PCI-E x16 slot and put it in the PCI-E x8 slot and it seemed to work fine. Now I am having the same issues again.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X