Does this sound like Motherboard death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like Motherboard death

Yesterday my desktop was running fine, turned it off and went to bed.

This morning I turn it on, and while walking away i don't hear the tell tale beeping sound the Mobo makes when it goes thru POST. I turn around and I see that my monitor is still in sleep mode and hasn't detected a signal.

I changed cables going to the monitor, used the different plugs on my video card (GTX 560 ti), and swapped out my video card for an older one i had laying around (GTX 260). The computer will boot, all the fans and LEDs on the motherboard itself come on, and the case fans and such connected to the Mobo turn on as well. The monitor stays in sleep mode, as if it's not receiving a signal.

Does this sound like a motherboard death, a processor death, a bad PCI-e slot, or a bad monitor. Either way, I'll have to replace the motherboard and processor since it's an old 775 socket motherboard (780i EVGA, the oldest thing in the computer). I'll be taking the video cards and trying the other 2 PCI-e slots later today, but I want to know if you guys have suggestions.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Does this sound like Motherboard death

Yes, i've had this before. It turned out to be the mobo. So im fairly sure its your mobo that died.

Comment

Ill be removing all the peripherals like sound card and all but one stick of RAM and seeing if those are keeping it from working, in the meantime, i guess im getting myself an expensive christmas present.

I had an SSD drive running my OS, and 2 500g hardrives in RAID0, any luck of me being able to pull the data off of those?
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Do the limited build like you are thinking, but also take everything apart(every connection), go get some lunch, come back 15-30 minutes later and put it back together and try powering it up. It may just be a build up of static somewhere in the system.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Would the static cause permanent damage?
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Well i basically pulled apart the computer and rebuilt it, reseated the RAM, CPU, and graphics card. Rewired everything and still not POSTing, safe to assume that it's dead so i can go online and buy 500$ worth of hardware for christmas?

The two hardrives i have on their are set up in RAID0, is that salvageable or not?
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

i had the a similar thing and it was as simple as swapping the ram slots around.

Might not help you, shoot by now I figure you already bought new gear.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I did, i had 4 sticks of RAM, swapped ALL of them out in each of my 4 slots (16 tries), and still nothing. I declared it dead when the video card i was testing it in also died, thankfully it wasnt my GTX560, but an older card.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

What power supply do you have? I have a feeling that you have a cheap OCZ pos that has crapped out. Try and borrow a power supply first before you try the motherboard.

Comment

I did swap out power supplies, i had a Corsair 750w professional series that had lasted for 3 computer builds before, i got a new, modular version of the same thing when i built the new computer. I tested everything before buying new hardware.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X