X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD announces next-gen Radeon HD 7970 for $549

I have to run to work, but wanted to get the news out:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/22/a...ys-it-soundly/

Reviews are starting to post this morning, like this really good one from Bit-tech
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...0-3gb-review/1

The reason I say really good review is (hold on to your hats here) because they benchmark ARMA2 with the new 7970!!
    Also hit up Battlefield 3.
    Over all I'm a tiny bit disappointed. From the talk up leading to this, I expected a bit more for $550, but it's still extremely powerful for a single GPU card, and the low power idle state sounds really good.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: AMD announces next-gen Radeon HD 7970 for $549

Dear baby Jesus....a 3 GB card? It surely is a nice boost over my 6970 in BF3. I would say the new architecture is a clear WIN!
    The OC ability looks amazing from this review......they may be on to something here.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

For that price point I say it's not worth it. From the many tests I've seen it seems as if it's only going to be ~20-30% jump from the 6000 generation, which isn't much of a leap for how much they are asking. If these predictions stay true, and If anyone is holding onto a 6000 series card, I'd say wait for the next gen. as you'll see greater improvements once they have figured out this new die size. They even tried to "glorify" their new card by testing it compared to a 1.5GB 580 vs. it's 3GB version saying "Look how much better this card is compared to Nvidia!". When first, they are comparing it to soon to be old gen. and second if they wanted to compare things at higher resolutions they could have easily put it up against a 3GB version of a 580 instead of one not mean't for multi-monitor use.
      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

The $550 price point makes sense when you compare it to what is available in the current market. The GTX 580 was released at $500 a year ago and is pretty much the same price today. This card is definitely faster than the GTX 580 and when it actually becomes available it will be the fastest single GPU card in the market.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

If only they would announce a mobile version...

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Nice article from bit tech. I think I will wait to see what Nvidia releases in 2012 before I go rushing to buy this though. I do like the new case design though and the power consumption seems to be very good with the 28nm process.
            sigpic

Former Pathfinder
            Former ARMA Admin
            Former ARMA TGU instructor
            Former TGU Headmaster
            Current Noob
            Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Well there's no way I can afford that. I'll wait till a cheaper 7950 or 7850 comes out before I upgrade.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Here is the link to the updated engadget article with a bunch of links to other reviews:
                http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/22/a...relatively-ef/

Overall, everyone likes it. I love the idea that it might be nearly silent at idle. Right now my 5870 is so freaking loud it bugs me to death. Its the only noise I can hear from my PC, which is in a p182 Antec case, considered one of the best at keeping PC quiet.

But as everyone said above, no way in hell I'm paying $550.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/18066-amd-radeon-hd-7950-specs-rumored/

7950 rumored specs. Looks like it will be good at around 400 dollars. Do you think you will be able to unlock it? I say probably not.
                  sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                  Former ARMA Admin
                  Former ARMA TGU instructor
                  Former TGU Headmaster
                  Current Noob
                  Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I am getting close to giving in and ordering the 7970, Sapphire version comes in at 440.00 and reviews indicate the reference cooler is performing better than some of the first gen after market ones.

Mainly swayed by the stellar performance in Arma II and low noise, power and heat plus the only thing beating this card is the dual GPU monsters, the Nvidia 590 (no longer made and so much heat and noise) or the Radio 4gb monster card. Again noisy as hell and too much heat.

I should probably wait till Keppler but I have seen rumours of a Q3 release and I'm getting impatient. Plus I've always had a soft spot for Radeons quieter, cooler cards. Decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                      I should probably wait till Keppler but I have seen rumours of a Q3 release and I'm getting impatient. Plus I've always had a soft spot for Radeons quieter, cooler cards. Decisions.
                      Aside from getting some more perspective of the playing field you may also get better pricing on Radeon 7970's after Kepler releases. But I've heard rumors of delays as well, apparently nvidia is having trouble with the 28nm manufacturing process, so buying now is definitely not a bad idea.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Only $549? Thought it would be more expensive.

Comment

Currently debating on getting a 7970 to replace my current 6850, or maybe just get 2x GTX 570s. I dunno though. I mean my 6850 plays everything on high, and OC's like a champ with relative low heat. Decision's decision's....

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Currently have the 7970 and have done now for 2-3 weeks or so.
                            I love it, it's brilliant, and beautiful looking card.
                            However, like all high-gen cards, it suffers from some really low Coil Whine when it's on a heavy load.

Other than that, I can't wait to get my second and third and kick my FPS up by about 100-200
                            "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
                            "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
                            "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

The Nvidia 680 looks fantastic too, maybe I will switch to Nvidia this time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X