Cellphone Wifi calling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellphone Wifi calling?

I now own a new cellphone from christmas. I've been kicking around on a motorola i255 for a long-ass time, and they got me a smartphone. Why, I don't know, because there are no CDMA/GMS/EVDO/EDGE services out here in the house, and I'd have to drive 2 miles down the road to get in service. (Literally no bars with an X on it, or blank bars which allow sporadic cut-in-and-out calling outside). I have full signal through my iDEN network device.

Are there apps/services available for free or cheaper than 55/month to use wifi access points to call? I won't be calling other cellphones most of the time so services like Viber which rely on people also having the app and adding you to their contacts list to call them are going to be worthless. I'l be calling other iDEN phones and landlines.

I know of Skype but the service is relatively expensive to call out, I might as well just use the regular phone service. I haven't activated the phone's line yet, so i can't try Google Voice, but i read that it requires an active phone to use simultaneously, so.. what is the point of it?

Mostly i'm trying to see if i can use the wifi network at the house, as well as local hotspots to call, without using the prepaid plan.

The phone is a Samsung Prelude/Prevail running android 2.3.5.

My brother had to get around it by renting a box from Sprint that projected a 100' GSM signal like a wifi access point, and plugged into the router for the internet.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Cellphone Wifi calling?

While I can't offer any advice on the phone issue, I can certainly comment on the subject of Google Voice.

The default setting uses an active phone line. You punch in the number you are calling, the service calls you first, and once you pick up, it dials the recipient's number. You can also place calls from inside Google Talk, replacing the phone with a headset. If you can run Google Talk on your phone, this may well be possible (I haven't messed much with GV under Android).

It's worth noting that GV isn't foolproof. I've run into a few cases where I'd get instantly disconnected time and time again -- most likely by devices that screen auto-dialer calls. There is also the occasional terrible-quality call (somewhere around 5% of my calls), so if your tolerance for these is very low, this isn't the option for you. Most times the bad quality is a one-off and calling the recipient back a couple of minutes later solves the issue, but not always. GV also takes a really long time to disconnect after you hang up -- at a guess, somewhere around 30 seconds.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you (or anyone else) have about my experiences with GV. Good luck!

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Comment

It's looking like, at least on the phone, Google Voice will only solve half of my problem, that is, people calling my google voice number will also ring my phone. Then again, I'm not sure if that will work, because i have no reception at home. So will it just immediately dump to google voice's voicemail? Will it connect to the phone over wifi? (which is how i'm able to download things off the market and do things at home on the phone).

I'm needing something that allows me to dial in/out without a cell-carrier connection because there is no to very little connection within a mile of the house because of geographic area. Anywhere in the house will just get me a "mobile connection not found" and dump me to desktop, or the phone constantly searching for signal, aquiring signal, losing it 2 minutes later.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

GV gives you a tonne of control as to what rings where and when. You can set it to ring as many numbers as you'd like (I know for a fact that it works with two), and that includes your Google Talk client. If your phone doesn't get reception, you can always opt to receive the calls on your computer. You can even set up time-based filters, so that it only rings specific phones during business hours, others just on the weekend, and shunts everyone to voicemail past 10pm. You can also do number-based filtering with all of the aforementioned options available, though GV is damned literal in that respect: 1-800-555-1234 is treated as distinct from 800-555-1234, until you tell it otherwise.

I've not played around much with the GV voicemail, but I suspect you're going to run into your cellphone's voicemail as the issue there. With my cell at least, calls go to voicemail immediately if the cell tower can't find my phone to ring it. If you've got no reception, I suspect the same will occur, bypassing GV's voicemail entirely (GV stops ringing all other lines as soon as one picks up, which includes your voicemail answering the call).

I may have missed a post, but I'm not too sure what the problems you're dealing with are. Other than not having any cell reception in the house, that is.

Edit: I'm guessing a landline isn't an option, since you've not mentioned it at all. Are the issues there related or completely different?

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

It looks like a combination of an SIP client, like SIP Droid, with a maybe free account from PBXes and in conjunction with Google Voice might work. You'll have to research what to do though.

http://sipdroid.org/

https://market.android.com/details?i...sipdroid.sipua

https://pbxes.com/iptel_virtual-pbx.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
            I may have missed a post, but I'm not too sure what the problems you're dealing with are. Other than not having any cell reception in the house, that is.

Edit: I'm guessing a landline isn't an option, since you've not mentioned it at all. Are the issues there related or completely different?
            To be honest, basically I'm looking for some way to get some use out of the phone other than an expensive, limited tablet. With no cell reception at home, i can't recieve or send calls or get my voicemail without stepping outside and walking for a few minutes. Placing calls through the PC at home and through the landline is redundant. I can't use my phone at work at all, and I shouldn't be driving with it either. For the cost of the phone + 1 month of activation they could have gotten me a decent standalone GPS to replace my broken one, instead they pushed a phone on me that i can't use for 75% of the day.

Parents are always CONSTANTLY trying to push a cellphone on me, even though i used to have one and made a grand total of 20 or so calls/month, except when they wanted to ring me every 2 hours to see where i was when i was driving. Then they don't pay attention to coverage maps, and don't have a clue why my mom's iDEN network phone works while her AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon phones didn't out here, and assume that all cells have the same technology.

So they bought me a 160 dollar phone, activated it with a 55 dollar prepaid card, and gave it to me. It's most likely too late to return it since the account was activated, and the activation money is already gone.

It's not like i have more than about 4 people to call, and perhaps various restaurants/etc.

Comment

Here's a thread that explains how to set it up. Pretty cool.. I might try it some day.

http://androidforums.com/android-app...-sipdroid.html

Comment

skype is 30 bucks a year to make calls out, and 30 bucks a year to get a phone number. or like 2.95 a month for each. (5.90 total). It will allow you to make calls over your wireless, and you can forward your cell number to skype, or give out your skype number, and when you dont pick that up, have it roll over to your cell number.

I use google voice for voicemail, skype for my work phone, and tango for video calls... they all have their own strengths, and I use them where they shine the most.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

also, there are nano towers available for most carriers - like you mentioned. they are a one time fee to purchase the hardware, and use your existing broadband internet to give cell coverage in dead zones.

You do not have to rent the box, you can buy them from best buy, or online through amazon, newegg, computergeeks, or the like. they run usually about 100 bucks or so.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X