Yet another Build advice thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Build advice thread

My wife has finally release the purse strings on a new pc(we just bought a new home...so it will be the last time I will see any money for LOOOONG time) hehe...sigh.

I am tempted(tempted I say) to actually build this one myself. I usually pick the parts and pay the tech's at the shop 50 bucks to build. I am trying to future proof as much as one can but still stay within a budget of about 1700-1800 CDN.

I have not bought much for my beast for about 4 years so the only thing I might attempt to save is the corsair 650tx power supply and the 1 Tb hard drive i bought about 2 years ago.

I have been rummaging through the forums and doing online research, so I think I have some quality choices...however there are some things in which I am not 100 per cent sure (i.e. ssd)
    So here goes, I welcome all opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,
    Fignut

motherboard 220.00
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Socket 1155 Intel Z68 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=042562

cpu
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.40Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm 330.00
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=035532

memory 100.00
    corsair vengence 16gb ddr3 1600 price match with ncix
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=040046

vid card 400.00
    Asus EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 AMD Radeon HD 6970 Chipset (890MHz ) 2GB (5.5Ghz) GDDR5 Dual Display DVI/HDMI/4x DisplayPort PCI-Express 2.1 Graphics Card

case 140.00
    Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower ATX PC Case (CC600T)
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=033444

SSD
    Corsair Force 3 or Crucial M4 : something bada$$ like 200gb+
    ...i have so many reviews (as well as info from these forums) that scare me from both brands...but they cannot be all bad...<famous last words?>

cooling?
    air or hydro (h80 maybe)... 75 - 100.00

Optical: regular brand cheap (my old one is on the fritz or i would use that one) 25.00
    fignut

For the cooling I would definitely go water. You might have seen my h100 I installed in the hardware section recently and I would absolutely recommend it. The crucial M4 is an awesome drive, however I would recommend looking at the new intel drives if you are worried about drive failure and life. Overall it Looks like an awesome build. If you feel confident then why not have a crack at putting it together by yourself, It was quite fun for myself to build a computer for the first time, and YouTube helped a lot lol. Then again, having the shop put it together can eliminate hassles down the road for defective items etc.

Good luck
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: Yet another Build advice thread

For the cpu, have you considered the i5 2500k? It performs nearly identically to the 2600k in games. You could even take the savings of going with the 2500k and throw it towards a Radeon HD 7970.

I've never used the Crucial M4, but I've heard good things about it's performance after their recent firmware update and I haven't heard about any abnormally high failure rates. You should also be able to find pretty good deals on Sandforce SF-2200 based SSDs right now like the Corsair Force 3, Force GT, OCZ Vertex 3 etc. I have a Vertex 3 which has been running awesomely with no issues for the past 9 months or so. Seems like the last major firmware update resolved most of the BSOD issues.

Everything else looks good.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Thanks for your replies Bolagnaise and Voodoo. Great advice from both of you guys.
        Bola do you think there much of a difference between the H80 and h100 (other than size of course)?
        and Voodoo I know you are right with the comment about the 2500k...but somehow (albeit maybe stoopidly) since I doubt I will be able to buy for QUITE some time...I thought i would get the "best" kit I can..maybe I am just a victim of intel marketing :)
        fignut

Comment

Probably not that much difference if you are not planning on overclocking(why wouldn't you.....:)

My h100 on prime 95 sits on 46c at 4ghz/29c at idle. You could expect around the same with a h80.
          sigpic

Former Pathfinder
          Former ARMA Admin
          Former ARMA TGU instructor
          Former TGU Headmaster
          Current Noob
          Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

I have the ANTEC Khuler 620 cooling unit.
            AMD 1100T OC'd 4.2 idles 23C maxes with prime 95 48ish or something close too it, BF3 barely gets my cpu core temp to 33c.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...