Striping (Raid 0) SSDs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striping (Raid 0) SSDs

Ok I see there is some great info being posted about what SSD's to get however I am looking for max performance.

I am looking at adding a pair of 128gb or 256gb drives in raid 0 to my new build. If you have any tips or tricks with this setup please share. Also please throw out some pros and cons.

So far I have been impressed with the Crucial M4 series.
    Crucial M4 128gb
    Crucial M4 256gb
    sigpic

Re: Striping (Raid 0) SSDs

Don't do it. RAID 0 give marginal performance for normal hardrives, let alone SSDs. I had my RAID 0 set up fail about a year after making it, and I lost all the date, the failed the same day I scheduled to make backs up of the data as well.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Personally I agree with Sir Nerd, lot of nonsense spouted about marginal gains with Raid and very little mention of the cacatastrophic failures from the same quarters. I wouldn't worry about it the ssd will be plenty fast. If you have money to spend and want the throughput pick up a Sata 3 mobo if you don't already have one and an ssd that takes full advantage of it.

Comment

I actually disagree about the marginal performance gains from going RAID 0. I used to run two 10k rpm mechanical drives in RAID 0 and the performance and responsiveness was noticeably better than going with a single drive. Benchmarks along with high resoultion FRAPS recording seemed to confirm this.

However there are some serious tradeoffs to consider especially in the case of SSD's. The well-known con of a RAID 0 array is that the likelihood of failure and data loss is doubled since either drive failing will cause you to lose the entire array. The other serious con is that your SSD's lose their TRIM functionality when you pair them in a RAID 0. You probably already know what TRIM is, but in short it is the background garbage collection and optimization function that minimizes performance loss of SSD's over time. For a system drive, TRIM is not something I would ever give up. However, if the RAID 0 array is going to act as a swap disk for fast access (i.e. for working on Photoshop projects), a drive that you can routinely purge and reset, then losing TRIM isn't as big of a deal.

If you're just trying to achieve an insanely fast drive and don't need the speed for anything in particular, I would recommend you going with a single SSD. If you need that crazy fast read/write speed for a specific workload, then by all means go for it.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
          The other serious con is that your SSD's lose their TRIM functionality when you pair them in a RAID 0.
          Not sure if this has happened yet but I did find an article about this. Intel to Add TRIM Support for RAID 0

At the moment I am feeling like doing the RAID 0 will be a bad idea as with SATA 3 I would be doubling the bandwidth already but as far as gaming goes today not much is pulled from the harddrive continuously. Obviously larger single player games would benefit like Rage or Skyrim however even now with SATA 2 and 7200RPM drives I am fairly content.

I dabble in everything from graphic design to software development to 3d modeling. Nothing too serious but after looking things over I think the RAID 0 will just end up being a liability.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm saving up for the Crucial M4 256G. I have a Crucial M4 64G already. optimized Windows to take up 15G. Has Bf3 on it and so on + TS. The speed is insane compared to my old mechanical drive.

Anyways... From what I have heard and seen, the larger SSDs tend to perform faster than the smaller space SSD's. Just be careful and keep your firmware up to date on your SSDs. Solves tons of issues with many. ALSO DO NOT DEFRAG your SSD! It shorten's there lifespan.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

I have an Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD that I bought in 2009. It has ran really well with zero problems. I don't particularly like Crucial products, but that is mostly due to massive problems with with DRAM I have purchased from them. Given that, I will most likely stay away from Crucial for the foreseeable future. Samsung and Intel seem like pretty good brands for SSD's. If and when I upgrade, I may go with Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                I have an Intel X25-M 160 GB SSD that I bought in 2009. It has ran really well with zero problems. I don't particularly like Crucial products, but that is mostly due to massive problems with with DRAM I have purchased from them. Given that, I will most likely stay away from Crucial for the foreseeable future. Samsung and Intel seem like pretty good brands for SSD's. If and when I upgrade, I may go with Samsung.
                Sorry to hear about your history with crucial products. I personally have never used a crucial product until my current SSD. The M4 series is just astounding with there reliability and performance thus far. Rated higher than Intel Samsung and various other top end WAY overpriced SSDs out there. They are on top of there firmware updates which have only improved there SSDs to date. I could run some tests and bench my drive this weekend.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

I run two RAID 0's on my present rig and the oldest has been running for more than three years. More than anything it's the larger cache from a RAID array that gives the biggest boost to my system. I use a separate drive for boot and critical data and I have everything backed up to a second "home server", so I wouldn't have to download anything again as the ddf's are saved to a back-up system. I wasn't aware of the TRIM issue with the combined drives (I also plan to RAID SSD's in my next build). Crucial, OCZ, and Samsung all make acceptable drives in this genre and I would be happy with any of them. I'm really waiting for the price to hit $.60/gig and it's getting closer all the time.
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
                    I'm really waiting for the price to hit $.60/gig and it's getting closer all the time.
                    That will be pretty sweet. :row__537:
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...