multi-screen bf3, game on one, big minimap on other

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multi-screen bf3, game on one, big minimap on other

I've heard some stories about people have multi monitor setup with bf3 and the mini-map is permanently blown up fullscreen on the second monitor. Has anyone seen/use this? I would LOVE to try it but Have no clue on setup. I usually fly jets so this would be extremely helpful for identifying targets. I personally haven't had time to even mess around with bf3 multi-monitor due to IRL. Hope someone can help! Thanks!

p.s. (some system specs)
    amd 6850
    i7 930
    windows 7 64-bit
    19" wide as primary screen and 17" for secondary random webpage use (in this case for the minimap)
    (that's all that really matters with this situation :p)

- dill
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Dil i do not believe it is possible. I have googled it for about 2 hours trying to find some mention of what you are trying to do. I would presume to do it u would need to rewrite the game to allow the map to be shown on a different screen. Happy to be proven wrong though as i run 2 x 24inch monitors and that would be awesome. Game developers need to start considering that many gamers have multiple monitors and utilize it . I believe starcraft 2 has a similar multi screen setup u wish to have with the map able to be shown on a second screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: multi-screen bf3, game on one, big minimap on other

yeah i googled it for hours too :p but oh well maybe someone will figure it out....:) thanks for responding :)
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

It certainly is possible to go with multiple screens in many different setups however support looks not to great. I would be nice if DICE just let everyone design they're own UI or have a way to override the positioning.

sigpic

Comment

yeah, I still have to fool around with my second monitor this weekend. I finally have a weekend off wrestling tournys so I should be good to go saturday. I'll report back with results. :) I like the second video monitor setup , the third video seems dis-proportionate on the screen.
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I have a dual monitor setup for work. I lose 5-10 fps when I have the 2nd monitor running during gaming on my primary monitor. I have to disable the monitor in ati catalyst to gain back the fps. I have two 5770s in crossfire.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Isn't this kinda cheating lol? Isn't the UI designed do that you either look at your map or shoot, not have a handy full screen satellite surveillance next to you. Even using the transparent map has its disadvantages, to the extent that generally it is s clear choice map or shoot, as it should be. To be honest when you start messing about with the UI you are wandering dangerously close to 'hack' territory. The game is designed a certain way for a reason, tampering with it or attempting to circumvent that universal standard is very dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                Isn't this kinda cheating lol? Isn't the UI designed do that you either look at your map or shoot, not have a handy full screen satellite surveillance next to you. Even using the transparent map has its disadvantages, to the extent that generally it is s clear choice map or shoot, as it should be. To be honest when you start messing about with the UI you are wandering dangerously close to 'hack' territory. The game is designed a certain way for a reason, tampering with it or attempting to circumvent that universal standard is very dodgy.
                These are features already included in the game albeit what the OP is talking about I believe is something that was in the Beta. You can have a map open all you want while you shoot just press "M" once and to zoom press "N".

I know I had wish earlier on to be able to customize the position of each UI element but this is simply a look and feel aspect like arranging things on your desk.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh I'm well aware that you can open the map in game and have it as an overlay. The point is it's a trade off, obscured first person view and map open, therefore you are at a slight disadvantage combat wise, ie you make a choice, quick glance at the map and then back to shooting etc. Hence we have the minimap for normal use. Having a full blown map in full detail on a seperate monitor is dodgy and if you tamper with any of the UI to get that you are 'hacking' the game and in effect cheating. If the ability to do this has been removed from the beta, (don't know myself, never tried it) then that's how it is.

Comment

Oh I'm well aware that you can open the map in game and have it as an overlay. The point is it's a trade off, obscured first person view and map open, therefore you are at a slight disadvantage combat wise, ie you make a choice, quick glance at the map and then back to shooting etc. Hence we have the minimap for normal use. Having a full blown map in full detail on a seperate monitor is dodgy and if you tamper with any of the UI to get that you are 'hacking' the game and in effect cheating. If the ability to do this has been removed from the beta, (don't know myself, never tried it) then that's how it is.
                    Apologies for reviving a 2 month old thread, and on my first post no less! Do with me what you wilt, however seeing no reply to your comment I could not help myself.

I am sorry if our opinions disagree but your comment is about as much baloney as, well... baloney.
                    Just think about it.

I can either have my vision obscured by a map overlay, or I can have my vision obscured by the necessity to move my attention to another monitor. I think they are approximately equal on the necessary evils scale don't you think?

I game on a 47" 1080p 3DTV so my mini map is not as 'mini' as some others may be. Yet I don't think it puts me at much of an advantage because I still have to look at it, taking my attention off the fight for a (possibly condemning) brief moment in order to get a view of the action around me.

If I had to look at another monitor, even if that monitor was right beside the one I was using, I personally think that I would garner more of a disadvantage in those 2-3 seconds it would take to avert my eyes from the battlefield, than the disadvantage that would be had by the half of a second it would take to look at my minimap or deal with a slightly obscuring overlay.

Comment

I am sorry if our opinions disagree but your comment is about as much baloney as, well... baloney.
                      Just think about it.
                      If you alter your game files in anyway so that you have a permanent map up whilst still having the advantage of a unobstructed fullscreen view, well, that's a hack. By definition you have tampered with the game, ie hacked it.

If it takes you 2-3 seconds to glance at the monitor to your side then I would suggest you seek medical assistance, 2-3 seconds to flick your eyes to a full screen map???? I run two monitors. The second is only 19" and has multiple 'not fullscreen' applications running when I play, yet I can identify who is speaking in mumble/ts etc in a split second whilst playing any FPS. This is way, way quicker and a decided advantage over opening the map conventionally on the main screen when playing.

This isn't about preference and bottom line if it's not in the game by design and you 'hack' it to get it working, well, it's a 'hack' isn't it. Not sure what the confusion is here.

Comment

If you alter your game files in anyway so that you have a permanent map up whilst still having the advantage of a unobstructed fullscreen view, well, that's a hack. By definition you have tampered with the game, ie hacked it.

If it takes you 2-3 seconds to glance at the monitor to your side then I would suggest you seek medical assistance, 2-3 seconds to flick your eyes to a full screen map???? I run two monitors. The second is only 19" and has multiple 'not fullscreen' applications running when I play, yet I can identify who is speaking in mumble/ts etc in a split second whilst playing any FPS. This is way, way quicker and a decided advantage over opening the map conventionally on the main screen when playing.

This isn't about preference and bottom line if it's not in the game by design and you 'hack' it to get it working, well, it's a 'hack' isn't it. Not sure what the confusion is here.
                        I never came here to discuss the intricacies of what constitutes 'hacking' in an online game, I never mentioned the fact once in my above post so I am unsure why you seem so hung up on it. I am well aware that altering game files would constitute hacking and probably earn a bfb (big fun ban) but that has about as much to do with my point as the freckle on my penis has to do with sex.

My point was rather direct imo; You gain no obvious measurable advantage having your map on a monitor beside the one you are using, as per compared to having to look down to your lower left or at a blown up overlay; Rather simple to understand I would think.

The advantage if any would be comparable to the advantage one gains by having a bigger monitor (like me) or having a better mouse.
                        Certainly not something you would write home about whining "No fair, that guy would have never kicked my ass without his monitor-map!", correct?

Now as far as it goes for the time it takes to look at the other monitor. Obviously it doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to 'flick your eyes to a full screen map' unless your monitor is on the other side of the room which would be, well... retarded. However, I hardly believe that in that 'split second' it would take to glance at the other screen that you would also manage to do a quick study of your battleground overhead. Anyone can 'flick' their eyes around, it takes a second to think about what you are seeing, no?

The exception being of course if you have some sort of eidetic memory, in which case I can understand your point. I however do not (nor do most), it takes me a (albeit very brief but measurable) moment to process what I am looking at.

If you do not have an eidetic memory you can do a little control experiment with a friend to see just how fast you do indeed process such relevant info. Get them to jumble up some random objects (at least 8 sounds about fair) on a stand or shelf when you are not looking/blindfolded, then have them uncover then recover your eyes giving you just enough time to make a quick 'flick' (remember, split second!) towards the objects and immediately look away. Next try to write down all the objects you seen and the positions they were in relative to each other and keep tabs on how many you can get right. Next slowly widen the window in which they uncover/cover your eyes and try the experiment again, repeating until you can remember all the objects in their (at least) approximate, if not exact locations; recording the time it took you in milliseconds/seconds with a stopwatch every time.

If you can indeed look at the shelve/table of objects and remember all the objects and their relative positions even approximately in a fraction of a second then you Sir are the grand and illustrious poobah of this argument, and the proud (hopefully) and lucky (definitely, unless your parents are government experiments or were born in Okinawa) owner of an eidetic memory.

Congrats! If you succeeded, video or it didn't happen. :p

Comment

Originally posted by HappyHimitsu View Post
                          I never came here to discuss the intricacies of what constitutes 'hacking' in an online game, I never mentioned the fact once in my above post so I am unsure why you seem so hung up on it. I am well aware that altering game files would constitute hacking and probably earn a bfb (big fun ban) but that has about as much to do with my point as the freckle on my penis has to do with sex.
                          Charming. Whilst you may not have come here to discuss what hacking is, as this function is not available in the game you would have to 'hack' the game to achieve it, wouldn't you. That's not hard to understand is it.

My point was rather direct imo; You gain no obvious measurable advantage having your map on a monitor beside the one you are using, as per compared to having to look down to your lower left or at a blown up overlay; Rather simple to understand I would think.
                          In your opinion. I personally find it extremely advantageous as a concept. To support my theory as to why that was the case I cited example where I was able to very quickly look at a second monitor and read pretty small text in several boxes dotted around that screen and still have the benefit of an unobstructed view on my main monitor, which I would keep an eye on in my peripheral vision.

The advantage if any would be comparable to the advantage one gains by having a bigger monitor (like me) or having a better mouse.
                          Certainly not something you would write home about whining "No fair, that guy would have never kicked my ass without his monitor-map!", correct?
                          No, don't agree, as explained above.

Now as far as it goes for the time it takes to look at the other monitor. Obviously it doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to 'flick your eyes to a full screen map' unless your monitor is on the other side of the room which would be, well... retarded. However, I hardly believe that in that 'split second' it would take to glance at the other screen that you would also manage to do a quick study of your battleground overhead. Anyone can 'flick' their eyes around, it takes a second to think about what you are seeing, no?

The exception being of course if you have some sort of eidetic memory, in which case I can understand your point. I however do not (nor do most), it takes me a (albeit very brief but measurable) moment to process what I am looking at.

If you do not have an eidetic memory you can do a little control experiment with a friend to see just how fast you do indeed process such relevant info. Get them to jumble up some random objects (at least 8 sounds about fair) on a stand or shelf when you are not looking/blindfolded, then have them uncover then recover your eyes giving you just enough time to make a quick 'flick' (remember, split second!) towards the objects and immediately look away. Next try to write down all the objects you seen and the positions they were in relative to each other and keep tabs on how many you can get right. Next slowly widen the window in which they uncover/cover your eyes and try the experiment again, repeating until you can remember all the objects in their (at least) approximate, if not exact locations; recording the time it took you in milliseconds/seconds with a stopwatch every time.

If you can indeed look at the shelve/table of objects and remember all the objects and their relative positions even approximately in a fraction of a second then you Sir are the grand and illustrious poobah of this argument, and the proud (hopefully) and lucky (definitely, unless your parents are government experiments or were born in Okinawa) owner of an eidetic memory.

Congrats! If you succeeded, video or it didn't happen. :p
                          Being able to look a very simplistic map with glowing triangles on and obtain some degree of situational awareness in less than 2-3 seconds is not indicative of an iadetic memory in the same way that being able to add 2 + 2 and arrive at 4 is not indicative of having a degree in advanced mathematics.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X