DdogG's latest build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DdogG's latest build

My core i7 960 / 12GB / Radeon 4870 was plenty fast - especially with the corsair f60, and then the OCZ solid3, but the motherboard was driving me crazy. It didn't have usb3.0 or sata3 6gb... and only had 5 sata2 3gb ports.... not to mention sparse usb ports and a hideous esata connection that locked my computer at post if I had my drobo plugged in.

So, it's time to upgrade.

I was torn between the 2600k and the 2500k, but in the end, I plan to upgrade to Ivy Bridge, and the extra 90 bucks right now was too much money for too little performance.

i5 2500K - 230.00

I also had the OCZ solid3 that I originally purchased for the MBP, once I upgraded the MBP to a Corsair Force GT 120 for the lower power requirements, I had this to upgrade from the F60. With the rest of the system getting an update, I didn't want to forget the HDD. I added a second Solid 3 120 for a raid 0.

OCZ Solid 3 120GB - 179.00

Most people here will call me insane, but I need ram - lots of it. I don't do much gaming... more video and graphic work, as well as running som VM's. I found a deal for a PC1333 16gb kit (2x8gb) for 125.00 with a 30.00 instant rebate. So, since the z68 motherboard can take 32gb, I got 2.

2x GeIL 16gb kit (2x8gb) - 190.00

The power supply is the most crucial part of a build, and I wanted to never worry about it again - until I sell this computer at least. I also wanted 80plus platinum certified for 92% efficiency. Seasonic was having a 15% off deal, so I snagged an 860W modular for 220.00 with 33.00 off.

Seasonic 860W 80+ Platinum certified modular - 187.00

I completely plan to overclock the living crap out of the 2500k, so I needed some water. a Corsair H80 should do the trick.

Corsair H80 - 96.00

The case needs to work well with the water cooling solution, so corsair it is. just as I am shopping, an extra 20.00 off on top of the 15 rebate drops. Sold.

Corsair Carbide 500R black - 105.00

So, what to plug all this in to? I want plugs, ports, and slots. only 2 options really, and Asus mobo for 340.00 buck, or a sweet little Asrock z68 Extreme7 Gen3 for 250.00. Yes please.

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 - 250.00

Add in my Bluray burner, wireless N, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, Radeon 4870, 2 23" Dell ultrasharp's, and a Soyo 24", Soundblaster x-Fi extreme, logitech x-540 5.1 speakers, and a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, and I believe I have a winner.

1237.00 total cost - without the 40.00 in mail in rebates.

Selling my old computer for 550, an asus transformer for 550, and an ipod classic 160gb for 180, this build cost me a grand total of........

sweet.

So, what did I get right? What did I screw the pooch on? What do I still need?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Re: DdogG's latest build

Everything looks pretty solid but fair warning on the ssd setup since trim isn't available for raid 0 yet. Hope to hear how nice your overclock is going to be.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

well, I have gotten the 2500k up to 4.8 completely stable at 1.36v. The temp under 100% load under the watch of the Corsair h80 was only 63c.

Idle voltage is currently .85v and 29c.

I did not know about raid and trim... YIKES. I need to do some research.

My biggest mistake was win7HP with 32gb ram. never hit that ceiling before. I have win7 pro coming early next week to fix it.

WEI score - 7.8 cpu, 7.8 ram, 7.9 hhd, 7.5 and 7.5 video. (the video is no biggie as #of cuda cores does not directly scale w/ performance in Premiere, but would love to be sitting on a 570 instead of the 550.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Nice build. support is coming soon http://m.tomshardware.com/news/Intel...AID,14048.html

The alpha for RST 11.5 is out but it doesn't yet support trim in raid 0. Shouldn't be too much longer until final release.
        http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

nice work! yeah that max memory for home will getcha, glad to see you got pro on its way. You gonna post any pics of the nice insides?
          sigpicBF3

...That's a big twinkie

Comment

www.rethink24.com/ddogg <-image gallery.

I still have some work to do, like getting the radeon installed - or a second GTX 550 ti. (mostly to drive the 3rd monitor.) The problem is that the radeon is red and the 550 is blue. wasn't color coordinating when I got either of those.

I am considering selling my h80 for a h100. The h80 does an amazing job, but the 100 would fit in the top tray of my case and disappear more.
            I also would like to get a second bluray burner and a 4TB hdd. My drobo houses 5 2TB's... and there is no way I can afford the 2 grand to upgrade all of them. but a single 4TB drive would be a great way to run backups until the price starts coming down again.

currently, I have the 2x 120gb solid 3's, a 2.5" 320gb, a 1.5TB 3.5" and a 1TB 3.5" installed. I have retired (read filled with redundant data as backup and stuck in a drawer in static bags) 2 3.5" 750's, 5 3.5" 1TB's, 2 2.5" 250's and have also reallocated several others. I have a 1TB 2.5" drive, 2 usb 2TB drives, and an esata 1TB drive. (now you see why my old board with 5 sata ports was so frustrating lol.)

I have not installed the x-fi. I don't know that I'm going to either. I may upgrade to an MAudio 1010LT or even an asus Xonar or omega HT.

and of course, I am going to step up to an Ivy bridge i7 when they show up.

so, all in all - not done yet, but very functional in the meantime.
            Last edited by =DdogG=; 02-14-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Looks good. Nice colour combo.
              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
              Former ARMA Admin
              Former ARMA TGU instructor
              Former TGU Headmaster
              Current Noob
              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Connect