What Do You Think (Build Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Think (Build Thread)

My last build I went towards the middle of the road. However now with a new job and hunger for more performance I am looking towards creating a heavy weight contender. Right now I am fairly comfortable with my choices and my target price is less than $3000. This build is meant for a triple screen 2D surround setup running 5760x1080. Please voice any opinions or suggestions.

Case: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper
    PSU:* Corsair HX1000 (from previous build)
    Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
    FAN: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
    MEM:* Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB 1600MHz (already purchased)
    GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 580 3GB (I will probably buy Classifieds)
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200RPM SATA III
    BLU: ASUS Blu-ray Burner
    OS:* Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Free copy I got at a developer's conference)

Total: $2712.83
    After Rebates: $2,652.83

* Not reflected in total cost.
    sigpic

Re: What Do You Think (Build Thread)

Since this is basically a money is no object build, I would recommend getting an even better SSD. Intel 520 series 240GB can be had for around $500. It's a sandforce based SSD produced by Intel. It has gone through Intel's thorough validation process so it's basically the best of both worlds: top performance and reliability.

Other than that, I think one area you might be able to save some money is the motherboard. I know the Asus RoG line of boards are extravagantly awesome, but quite frankly half those features typically go unused in my experience. An Asus P8Z68-V Pro or Deluxe probably has everything you need.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
      Other than that, I think one area you might be able to save some money is the motherboard. I know the Asus RoG line of boards are extravagantly awesome, but quite frankly half those features typically go unused in my experience. An Asus P8Z68-V Pro or Deluxe probably has everything you need.
      I feel what your saying and I have been looking at some of the less extravagant models. I have even been taking a look at Asrock and Gigabyte. Currently I run an EVGA now but their new boards just are not as impressive. The support although is amazing especially with their step-up and extended warranty stuff. I had a defective card and had it RMA'd in about 3 days with their cross ship.

Should I possibly looking at boards with PCI-e 3.0 compatibility?
      sigpic

Comment

Pci-e 2.0 bandwidth is nowhere near being saturated yet . . . Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I looked at the asus when I was building my computer. It was a toss up between the Asrock extreme7 gen3 and the asus maximus iv extreme-z. I went with the as rock because it offered more expansion and future proofing than the asus did, looked better, and was a few bucks cheaper - not that the last one was a big deal, but it didn't hurt. also, the as rock offers true x16 pci-e on to both cards instead of x8

I would suggest you look into a corsair case since you will be using the h100. the r500, r650, and r800 are all designed around the h80 and h100 cooling solutions. It looks like the cooler master has the top fans you would need, having the radiator plus fans might not fit.... I didn't dig very hard for the info - you may have already... just something to verify before you buy.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have that Asrock MB also. First one I had to RMA because of bad ram slots. Second one is working great. Had 2 XFX 6970's that were good, but have since moved on to 2 MSI 580 Lightnings. Now to just get my waterblocks for these 580's and time to build my water loop. Good luck with your build.

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
              Should I possibly looking at boards with PCI-e 3.0 compatibility?
              Like Ven said, current graphics cards aren't completely saturating the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth, but at the same time it never hurts to future proof your system by getting those cutting edge features. I built my PC 2.5 years ago, right before features like USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps debuted. At the time it wasn't a big deal, but man do I wish I had those features today.

The easiest way to select a motherboard is to start by picking whatever manufacturer you're comfortable with and then selecting a model from their lineup that has all of the features that are important to you. The reason why I pointed out the RoG board as being possibly unnecessary is because I've built computers in the past with the absolute highest end motherboard from Asus and most of the features that came exclusively with the RoG board were simply never used. Pro and Deluxe versions already have the features that 95% of buyers would ever need. All I'm saying is, look closely at the differences between Pro/Deluxe versions and RoG versions and ask yourself if you think you'll even use them.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                Like Ven said, current graphics cards aren't completely saturating the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth, but at the same time it never hurts to future proof your system by getting those cutting edge features. I built my PC 2.5 years ago, right before features like USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps debuted. At the time it wasn't a big deal, but man do I wish I had those features today.

The easiest way to select a motherboard is to start by picking whatever manufacturer you're comfortable with and then selecting a model from their lineup that has all of the features that are important to you. The reason why I pointed out the RoG board as being possibly unnecessary is because I've built computers in the past with the absolute highest end motherboard from Asus and most of the features that came exclusively with the RoG board were simply never used. Pro and Deluxe versions already have the features that 95% of buyers would ever need. All I'm saying is, look closely at the differences between Pro/Deluxe versions and RoG versions and ask yourself if you think you'll even use them.
                I support this view point. I can not count the number of times I have bought mobo thinking "this will be the build I do (insert SLI, RAID, etc...). I stopped doing this by and large, but I did buy a RoG board this time cause I am finally going to do SLI.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Ok here's my updated build. I am going to go with the ASRock Extreme7 as overall I think it will be a better fit for what I need and really I don't consider myself an "Extreme Overclocker" so the RoG boards do in the end include a lot of things I would never use. I still like the Trooper case for its interior and exterior; my only gripe is no quick detach side panel. The 800D interior is great but little things like the backplane compatibility, thin paint, and other little details are just turning me off at that price (loved the nifty button detach for the side panel). One case I did gawk at a lot, I hugged it at the store, was the Cosmos II but the price is out of this world as well (awesome hinged door with a latch). The easy choice was the SSD as the Samsung 830 is dependable and beats the most of competition including the Crucial M4 series in real world applications.

Case: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper
                  PSU:* Corsair HX1000 (from previous build)
                  Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 (Future-proof, better layout, cheaper)
                  CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
                  FAN: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
                  MEM:* Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB 1600MHz (already purchased)
                  GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 580 3GB
                  SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (Better performance, quality is on par with M4 series)
                  HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200RPM SATA III (frys has them for $109.99, probably an error)
                  BLU: ASUS Blu-ray Burner
                  OS:* Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Free copy I got at a developer's conference)

Cost has went down slightly but no more than $200 in total. If Frys sells me that HDD at their online price I will be quite happy. So far the board, cooler, and extra 120mm fans are on their way. As for the case, cpu, gpu's and sata drives those will be purchased locally. The goal is to assemble it this weekend. I'm only cannablizing the current PSU from this system and the new memory however I have the old memory plus my mint RMA Ultra 1000W ready to go to get this one back on it's feet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks really good. That PC will crush any game you throw at it.

Comment

awesome rig.... you should enjoy building and tweaking that monster.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Looks great. That system will rock.

If you have a Micro Center within driving distance, two locations in Illinois, their CPU prices are better then Newegg and Frys.

i7-2600k:

MC = 279.99

Frys = 319.99

Newegg = 329.99

Both Frys and MC will price match against each other. The difference is at MC you just talk to the sales clerk and show him Frys price, who looks it up and gets the manager's approval on the spot. Where as at Frys you have to buy the item first, then take your receipt with the MC ad (Circular free at MC store) to the customer service/return section and after confirmation they refund you the difference +110%. Since the CM Storm Trooper case you want is on sale at Frys now for $149 vs $179 at MC, you could take the MC ad to Frys, buy the Case on sale, and also buy the 2600k and have them price match it to the MC price of 279.99 + 110% of diff. = about $48.4 savings. May seem penny pinching, but that can go towards other accessories like high performance fans, more USB sticks, etc... I personally like MC service better, and would take the Frys sales ad of the CM Storm case to MC and just have them price match it and buy the 2600k there too for $279.99. Either way, you may want to call each store first as the managers attitudes and "policy" seem to vary from store to store.

Just a tip, -Zip

:icon_frow
                        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I bought some of the stuff at Fry's but after going over their return policy it truly sucks. If I open the product and it's defective I have to RMA it to the manufacturer. So I have used self control and kept everything in the shopping bags and I will be returning it on Saturday.

Does Micro Center have the same policy? How many days? Defective products?

If anything I will just go to the local CompUSA (converted Tiger Direct) and purchase all my stuff there. I know they offer a 30 day warranty on all purchases. If it's not open you can get a refund. If it's open and defective you can exchange it at the store. CPU's I think have a 15 day policy but it's understandable which such items. Nonetheless it is extremely handy during my last build as some of my memory was DoA.

My Asrock board and Corsair H100 have arrived from Amazon. Extremely well packed and even the retail boxes are pristine (i.e. no crushed corners).

Also Fry's will price match in store while you stand behind them. They even will match prices of most internet retailers including Newegg, Amazon, and probably MicroCenter. For retail stores they just need to be located in Illinois to qualify.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                            Well I bought some of the stuff at Fry's but after going over their return policy it truly sucks. If I open the product and it's defective I have to RMA it to the manufacturer. So I have used self control and kept everything in the shopping bags and I will be returning it on Saturday.
                            Ok well I cleared this up at the store and apparently I did not read to deep. Most products can be exchanged except with certain manufacturers like Intel. However my EVGA video cards can be returned open and/or defective 30 days from the date of purchase. Things like memory, hard drives, and optical drives can be exchanged 15 days from the date of purchase open and/or defective. They just don't want to see any melted parts or water damage. If CompUSA has a better policy on drives than I will re-purchase the drives just for some extra security.

Originally posted by Zippy-2-War View Post
                            Looks great. That system will rock.

If you have a Micro Center within driving distance, two locations in Illinois, their CPU prices are better then Newegg and Frys.

i7-2600k:

MC = 279.99

Frys = 319.99

Newegg = 329.99
                            I will be price matching this at CompUSA (their policy).
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the input. It was a blast building again even my dad chipped in helping me make sure I was Earth grounded. Anyways below is the finished product. I have an album up here that I will be updating over the next few weeks as I am overclocking and benchmarking. Hopefully by next weekend I will be enjoying some BF3 and/or Skyrim on it.

Check out the album here.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...