Nostromo and wrist pain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostromo and wrist pain

My search didn't turn up much specifically on this, I swore Brokeback made a comment in a thread somewhere:

Has the Nostromo helped anyone with wrist pain? I get some pain in my left wrist from time to time, surely from ASDF and probably pushing too hard (and too much gaming : )

Re: Nostromo and wrist pain

Wrist pain from too much gaming?.....so thats what the kids call it these days :icon25:

On a serious note, get a merc or zboard. Butterfly keys are awesome for gaming with no fatigue
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

If you have one on hand, try placing a gel mat or cushion bar of some sort like from some mousepads, on the left edge of your keyboard where your wrist would normally be. I did that for a little while and it worked out really well, though I can't say I've experienced wrist pain yet so it may or may not help you.

The nostromo/n52te (Razer or Belkin respectively) is a lovely piece of equipment, but I'm not sure about relieving wrist pain. I can attest that it feels more "natural" than a typical WASD sprawl. In my case it was certainly worth picking up a Nostromo though from a performance perspective. Once I got a control scheme layed out that I liked, it took me from being an average player in CoD Black Ops to being a pretty good player simply because my fingers could reach all the controls I needed faster and more easily.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Project you have old-man wrists
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

My Nostromo gave me mental pain trying to get used to the key mappings.
          It hurt too bad, I gave up. Now its sits idle.
          I have old man brain :(

|

Comment

I used a n52te for a few years. I'd say because it's more ergonomic than many keyboards it's a safe assumption it's going to help you with any pain. But I echo what Lancer said - definitely get a cushion for your wrists. I have a "bean bag" styled one that I use with my mouse hand.

Also consider arranging your desk/seating differently. Some people really benefit from having most of their forearm resting on their desk when they are using a computer. Sounds funky but it's worth trying. It may be muscle strain from a poor position.
            Skud

Comment

Agreed, my desk is arranged differently from when I game and when I type or forum whore. I also ensure my chair arms are atleast as high as my keyboard or desktop (depending on desk and whether or not there is a keyboard tray). This keeps my wrist straighter and reduces fatigue of the joint, muscles, and tendons/ligaments. I also use a gel pad for my mouse pad, but have found it to be a bit too solid. It has caused some wrist pain and finger pain. Not sure its allowing enough blood flow. I may have to look into a bean bag for my wrists.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Thanks Gents! <except for Voodoo>

I'll try out the quicker fixes too like the wrist cushion and chair height, I do have a new chair that won't go as high as the last one.

Comment

It's helped me. I have wrist pain and borderline tendinitis from music, and I echo the wrist cushion. I've been using the n52te for years with no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
                    If you have one on hand, try placing a gel mat or cushion bar of some sort like from some mousepads, on the left edge of your keyboard where your wrist would normally be. I did that for a little while and it worked out really well, though I can't say I've experienced wrist pain yet so it may or may not help you.

The nostromo/n52te (Razer or Belkin respectively) is a lovely piece of equipment, but I'm not sure about relieving wrist pain. I can attest that it feels more "natural" than a typical WASD sprawl. In my case it was certainly worth picking up a Nostromo though from a performance perspective. Once I got a control scheme layed out that I liked, it took me from being an average player in CoD Black Ops to being a pretty good player simply because my fingers could reach all the controls I needed faster and more easily.
                    I agree with the above. I have been using one for years and just love it.
                    The Old Guy
                    kin3
                    sigpic

Comment

I use one and cannot go back to using the keyboard, just so handy having all the keys you need in the palm of your hand.

Comment

Get some five pound dumb bells and hold both arms straight in in front of you while standing or sitting down, lift only wrists up and down as many times as you feel is a "work out for you" will give you stronger wrists and isn't too punishing of a workout for anyone young and old to do.

Comment

What button do N52TE users map to jump in FPS. I have one and the one thing I can't get used to is not having jump mapped to space bar (I have prone on caps lock, left cntrl is crouch and left shift is sprint). My hands are pretty beat up at my age, lots of broken fingers, scars etc and do suffer a bit since being able to use my N52 more often may help.

Perhaps people could post there layouts here.

Comment

Since this was posted I have been looking at getting one. I really wanted to see one in person before I lay out the cash for it though. I have been able to find it online but none of the local stores around here have anything in stock. Rather disapointed.

I still have an old PlayClaw, I really enjoyed using that, the change over was weird at first but was awesome once I got used to it. Has anyone used one of those? What would the comparison to a N52 be like?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                              What button do N52TE users map to jump in FPS. I have one and the one thing I can't get used to is not having jump mapped to space bar (I have prone on caps lock, left cntrl is crouch and left shift is sprint). My hands are pretty beat up at my age, lots of broken fingers, scars etc and do suffer a bit since being able to use my N52 more often may help.

Perhaps people could post there layouts here.
                              On my Black Ops and Bad Company 2 setups I had jump (spacebar) mapped to the D-Pad, on the axis facing towards the palm rest, as well as to far right button on the lowest row of the keypad. Worked really well for me.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X