To Steam or not to Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Steam or not to Steam

Just about the time I almost start trusting Steam then another round of "..what the ..." starts again. Apparently during one of my last steam updates the steam.exe was deleted and I can't use the repair function to fix it. The directions on the steam forums require that you back up the steamapps folder and reinstall steam but how many of you have an extra 272 gbs to backup your steam games. All this will do is reinforce that procuring my games from anyone but steam will become my mantra.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Personally I've never had a problem with steam. It has always been reliable and keeps my games organized and easily accessible.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: To Steam or not to Steam

Originally posted by LpBronco View Post
      Just about the time I almost start trusting Steam then another round of "..what the ..." starts again. Apparently during one of my last steam updates the steam.exe was deleted and I can't use the repair function to fix it. The directions on the steam forums require that you back up the steamapps folder and reinstall steam but how many of you have an extra 272 gbs to backup your steam games. All this will do is reinforce that procuring my games from anyone but steam will become my mantra.
      Just move the steamapps folder outside your Steam Directory. Then uninstall Steam completely and delete anything remaining in the Steam directory. Then reinstall Steam and move your steamapps back inside the Steam directory.

There's really no need to backup in this case just move the directory so it is not subject to the uninstall. Hope this helps.
      sigpic

Comment

So I did both. I have a home server with enough room to capture the steamapps and I moved the folder and then moved it back but I'm still having to reinstall the games. Oh well :(
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

So I did both. I have a home server with enough room to capture the steamapps and I moved the folder and then moved it back but I'm still having to reinstall the games. Oh well :(
          Well yeah but you shouldn't have to re-download. Once you restart the Steam client it will run through the files to make sure everything is there, I assume that it's just checking with CRC's or another type of hash. I have over 200 games currently installed and it does take a while for it to sync back up but it's faster than re-downloading everything.
          sigpic

Comment

Then somethings not right because its redownloading as I select each game.

Yep, I moved the steamapps folder into the steamapps folder - no good. I had to delete the new steamapps and then move the folder back. Never would have seen the problem without your help, thanks.
            Last edited by LpBronco; 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM.
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Then somethings not right because its redownloading as I select each game.

Yep, I moved the steamapps folder into the steamapps folder - no good. I had to delete the new steamapps and then move the folder back. Never would have seen the problem without your help, thanks.
              EDIT: I just noticed your edit. :row__688:

Well it may show it as downloading but it's just checking and shouldn't take that long. If it's flat out downloading the game something has gone wrong. Below I've included Steam's official FAQ link.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129
              sigpic

Comment

Well, I guess there was a silver lining to the entire ordeal as Steam is reformatting some of the games to "improve" efficiency.
                Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X