Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need pc required to run BF3, Crysis2, ARMA3 (to be released)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need pc required to run BF3, Crysis2, ARMA3 (to be released)

Hi,
    to make it short: I need a new PC but don't have a clue of hardware.
    Up to now I always only had prebuilt PCs. My current PC barely runs BF3 (at 17 - 15 fps | low settings). Now I want to buy a new one. As my previous PCs as well as my current one never were actually good ones, I now want to get the first computer that got some power. Requirements on that PC are:

1) to run current and games upcoming in the near future (2012) on maximum settings, specifically: BF 3, Crysis 2, Supreme Commander (no fancy graphics but a lot of units on the maps), Dawn of War 2 and ARMA 3 (yet to be released). In addition I would like to work with Crytek'S Sandbox 3 (editor for Crysis 2). Map editors tend to consume a lot of resources, but still I would like to run it smoothly.
    2) I also would like to record gameplay footage, whilst games still run nicely on maximum settings (not less than 40 fps while recording)
    3) SSD for OS and other programs, 1 TB storage for data. So 2 hard drives. I thought like 120 GB for the SSD (?)
    4) to be capable of fluent image manipulation
    5) running two screens. I got a pretty old flat screen (768*576) and I would like to sometimes run it parallel to my flat screen (1920*1080), for having server control panel (procon) open while playing to overwatch the server (when admining one of our clan's (nDT) servers)

In addition:
    6) I don't like water cooling... do you consider it necessary for a PC that is powerful enough to fulfill the tasks mentioned above?
    7) I have heard aluminum cases are better for transition of heat that steel cases. Is that true? And if so, do you use aluminum cases as well?

These are my requirements on that computer. The problem is I don't have the slightest clue of hardware when it goes into detail (I now what each component does and so on, but that doesn't help choosing the right components for a new rig).
    So far I have saved 900 € (1,209 US-$... if the calculator I found is adequate). So, do you have any advice how I could spend that money most efficiently to get a system that lives up to what I expect from it?

Thank you so far!

Re: need pc required to run BF3, Crysis2, ARMA3 (to be released)

Originally posted by Evilhardt View Post
    1) to run current and games upcoming in the near future (2012) on maximum settings, specifically: BF 3, Crysis 2, Supreme Commander (no fancy graphics but a lot of units on the maps), Dawn of War 2 and ARMA 3 (yet to be released). In addition I would like to work with Crytek'S Sandbox 3 (editor for Crysis 2). Map editors tend to consume a lot of resources, but still I would like to run it smoothly.
    2) I also would like to record gameplay footage, whilst games still run nicely on maximum settings (not less than 40 fps while recording)
    The games listed are pretty heavy on ultra and with requirement #2 I don think this will be possible with your budget below.

If we were just talking about running BF3 on max setting without recording I think you would be ok.

So far I have saved 900 € (1,209 US-$... if the calculator I found is adequate). So, do you have any advice how I could spend that money most efficiently to get a system that lives up to what I expect from it?

Thank you so far!
    sigpic

Comment

So, that implies Crysis 2 would not run smoothely on max settings (no recording) with that budget?

Comment

They are now talking about late 2012 early 2013 for ARMA III I heard.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

6) Watercooling - Not a requirement for the parameters you outlined. Air cooling is fine and will save you some money.
          7) I'm not sure if Aluminum will transfer heat more efficiently than Steel, but I do know that cases made of Aluminum are lighter in weight. I wouldn't worry about it's heat transfer capabilities though. Cooling is much more reliant on how the case is actually designed and the placement/number of fans rather than the material it is constructed from.

Gameplay footage recording speed is almost entirely based on how fast your storage is. Any good modern CPU will be adequate for using FRAPS, but it is the hard drive or SSD that will be the bottleneck. With your budget and with the way computer parts tend to be more expensive in Europe, I'm not sure that an SSD is even an option. I would say with your budget, you could satisfy all of your requirements with the exception of smooth gameplay recording.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

SSD not an option? why? You get SSD for like 130 € (~170 US-$) here. Or why do you mean it might not be an option?

Comment

So, that implies Crysis 2 would not run smoothely on max settings (no recording) with that budget?
              Crysis 2 is a cakewalk to max out compared to bf3 and arma

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

SSD not an option? why? You get SSD for like 130 (~170 US-$) here. Or why do you mean it might not be an option?
                Because what you want the pc to do and what your budget is do not line up. Add in the additional cost of an ssd and it eats even more of your budget

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Oh well, I can effort 300 more dollar if I wait a little longer... Do you think that would be worth it? Let me summarize what I have understood so far:

My budget would be sufficient for running the games mentioned on max settings, but not while recording. Right? Okay, not too bad. Would my budget be sufficient for running games on high settings whilst recording? If not: Do you think investing a little more for getting an SSD would make recording on high settings possible? Or would it even make recoding on max settings possible?

To that cakewalk thing: I am surprised, as Cryengine3 is more powerful than FB2 as far as I have heard... oO I am talking about the DX11 physics and graphics patch for Crysis 2, did you consider that?

Comment

To be honest, for what you are looking for, you might want to get your budget up to the next $1000 mark. Many of the things you are looking for are high dollar items.

I made a build for about 600 and it runs BF3 on medium and I bought good parts, but if I bought high end parts that would get me to what you are asking, I would have spent around 1900 to 2200...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Okay, but you are now contradicting each other... as long as I dindn't missunderstand what Def and Voodoo said.

Comment

SSD not an option? why? You get SSD for like 130 € (~170 US-$) here. Or why do you mean it might not be an option?
                        That SSD is almost 15% of your budget. About 40% of your current budget is going to go towards graphics which will net a system that can play ultra. And then you need a CPU like 2500k and Mobo Asus Pro Gen3 which will take another 35%.

15% + 40% + 35% = 90% so that only leaves a small portion to get a case, psu, and memory. This is by no means to the dollar accurate but for the computer you're looking to build I think you may need to work up to it. Possibly purchase the core components and get things like the SSD and a second graphics card later. Also if you don't plan on overclocking you can just by a locked CPU.

Okay, but you are now contradicting each other... as long as I dindn't missunderstand what Def and Voodoo said.
                        You want a BF3 Ultra rig that records for $1209 or less.

BeSiege82 says he has a rig for $600 that runs BF3 on medium settings.

We are all saying you're budget is too low to for your requirements. Inject another $600 to 800 dollars and then you would probably be able to build it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Okay, then I will approach that goal successively as you proposed.

So you say as CPU 2500k and as Motherboard Asus Pro Gen3. Any advice on graphics card?

Comment

I bought a 6770 for ~$130, but you would probably be looking for something more than that though...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Here is the thread about the parts I ultimately bought for my build. Some prices are different now since I bought on Black Friday sales.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...-computer.html

I also bought one of these keyboards: oddly enough, I spent atleast $20 less than msrp...
                              http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/4740

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X