Recent HDD issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent HDD issues

So I'm a bit worried that I'm missing something here but I've had 2 HDDs die suddenly and I'm pretty sure a 3rd died as well. I've got a new Intel 520 SSD ready to put in but I would really rather not kill it if something is killing my drives. Any ideas? The only thing I can think is my PSU but I'm not sure what to test/do.

i5-750 with 8GB of 1333MHz
    GTX260
    OCZ Gamextreme 700W (refurbished I think, RMA replacement since the original died a bit ago)
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-gam...upply-eol.html

I'll be happy to post additional information and any help would be great, thanks.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Recent HDD issues

What happened to the other drives (i.e. burning smell, click of death, vibrations of doom)?

The three big killers besides electronics number one foe, water, is high voltage current, high speed impacts, and heat.
    sigpic

Comment

You could test the power supply voltage regulation with a multimeter if you wanted. Remember to test at idle and under load.

Post the model(s) of the dead hard drives. What were they used for? Do you have any monitoring information from them before they died?
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

In order of Death
        WD6400AAKS - main HDD for a while
        WD1600AAJS - previous main HDD, unpowered for a while but filled in as main after the 640 died
        WD10EARS - 1TB Storage drive

All of them died pretty suddenly, the 640 was a bit slower I think since I had a lot of performance issues in game at first. The 1TB drive was very sudden, backing things up to get ready to install new SSD on night, next morning I was having boot issues and I unplugged the drive and now its back to normal.

No obvious clicking, bad smells, no water damage. My dogs bump my case now and then so I can't say for sure it isn't impact related.

I've also recently replaced my RAM after the other set went bad after a year, all my other components run normally.

As for monitoring information, all the drives were recognized but my motherboard during boot up until they died and now they appear as if they are unconnected. I have nothing else.

Update: I got the 1TB HDD to connect again, seems to be ok for now. I plugged it into a different SATA power cable (different cable on all together not just a different plug). About to try the other drives, not sure why I didn't try this earlier. The main drive is still hooked up to the original SATA power line.
        Last edited by Reaperassault; 03-01-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

With the list of issues you have had, I would probably try a new PSU. Something by Corsair or Seasonic would be a decent choice. Best Buy sells Corsair at an inflated price but it makes it easy to return after using it to test with (you could use any brand to test with).

I have had issues with booting and "failing" hdds in the past (along with other weird things similar to you), and the problem turned out to be my PSU.

PS: Actually looks like Best Buys psu pricing has dropped some.
          Last edited by DaViking; 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM.
          Viking

Comment

Well I will head to BestBuy and either get a multimeter or a different PSU to test. I know that the 640GB drive still bluescreens during boot on my mom's HTPC so it may just be dead. I will try and update more tomorrow.

Thanks

Comment

Are u sure the drives died? Or did the mobo just stop recognizing them. Did you try them in other PC's? I wonder if its a mobo issue

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                Update: I got the 1TB HDD to connect again, seems to be ok for now. I plugged it into a different SATA power cable (different cable on all together not just a different plug). About to try the other drives, not sure why I didn't try this earlier. The main drive is still hooked up to the original SATA power line.
                The connectors on cable's can go bad. If you have a fresh set of SATA cables try replacing the ones you are currently using. As for the power I would do this as well but it is not as critical. If at all possible make sure to test these as a non bootable drive just to see if you can view the drive.
                sigpic

Comment

Sounds to me like a power issue. Each SATA power cable connecting from the PSU to the HDDs should not be connected to other components along the way. This ensures each HDD gets the power it needs.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

my first thought is bad cables. you say the one drive bluescreens, but that could just be data on the drive is now corrupt following a bad writeback (from a faulty cable). I would get a known good cable and test all the drives again.

next is the port on the mobo, then the sata controller on the mobo. test all the drives with a known good cable in a different system.

afterward, psu. The only thing that really makes me lean toward this as your #1 culprit is the ram going bad after a year... that is rare. bad ram is bad from the start usually. It doesnt just up and die one day. I still have sdram that works after 14 years. The only reason I put it as # 3 to try is because the others are cheaper to test - and can be done without a multimeter.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

So I've tested the drive more on my HTPC, different power supply and different SATA cable. The motherboard won't recognize the drive and says master boot error. I've also tried to reformat the drive with my vista DVD but it hangs forever.

Best buy did not have a power supply tester.

At this point I would also think that it is possible that the drives just died on their own even though it could be a bit unlikely.

I also feel like PSU damage would be a bit more telling and not so subtle.

Comment

I've noticed a new issue, when I access a file on the 1TB drive my system hangs, especially my sound (e.g. I open a screen shot on my 1TB drive and a video I am watching in chrome stutters and cracks for several seconds). Not sure how this factors in but more information can't hurt.

Even opening a folder on my 1TB drive causes some stuttering. One of my CPU cores goes to near full usage according to task manager while accessing files and folders on the 1TB drive.

Edit: switching SATA cables and SATA ports seems to fix the issue
                        Last edited by Reaperassault; 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

the voltage regulation on your mobo may be weak. ram and sata ports dying...... kinda hinky.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                            I've noticed a new issue, when I access a file on the 1TB drive my system hangs, especially my sound (e.g. I open a screen shot on my 1TB drive and a video I am watching in chrome stutters and cracks for several seconds). Not sure how this factors in but more information can't hurt.

Even opening a folder on my 1TB drive causes some stuttering. One of my CPU cores goes to near full usage according to task manager while accessing files and folders on the 1TB drive.

Edit: switching SATA cables and SATA ports seems to fix the issue
                            Any noise from your hard drive when your system hangs on accessing these files/folders on the 1 TB drive? For example, rapid or repeated clicking?

First thought would be bad clusters on the platters, thus the head seeking back-and-forth unable to read from those sectors, thus causing your system to hang while it seeks to read uselessly. If this is the case, time to RMA those drives or buy new ones. They are toast.

Considering your tried these drives on other computers and boards, I think we can rule out power issues.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So just to update I went a head and installed my SSD and wow it is true that is a huge upgrade. Now to just get one of those new GTX680s...

I haven't had any issues since reinstalling, I went a head and took everything out of the case, cleaned it and put stuff back in.

Still no clicking noises or other issues, I guess it could have just been chance. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X