Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclock became unstable

Hello everyone,

I've been running my stable i7 920 overclock at 4ghz for quite some time (9 months?) now with big watercooling. Last night, the system locked up on BF3. Upon reboot, my HT Omega Claro sound card was no longer present. Bouncing the machine a few times had no luck, so I returned to "Auto" in the bios and finally the sound card came back. I had tried to re-seat it, with no luck.

Now I know overclocks degrade overtime. The only other anomaly I've seen is the USB bus becomes unstable and my USB keyboard gets the M key stuck. This is always the same key, always after a heavy gaming session.

Suggestions on what to tweak? The mobo is an Asus P6T.
    i7 920 @ 4ghz | GTX 590 | 12gb Ram | Lots of Watercooling | Triple Screen 3D | Simcraft Vertex 3 GT Full Motion Cockpit
    iRacing | Battlefield 3

Re: Overclock became unstable

Here are my settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
    Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech - Enabled
    Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled
    BCLK freq: 190
    PCI freq: 100
    DRAM freq: 1523
    CPU Voltage - VCORE: 1.275
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    QPI/DRAM Voltage (uncore): 1.3
    IOH Voltage: Auto
    ICH Voltage: Auto
    VRAM Bus Voltage - VDIMM: 1.66
    Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

Top four Dram Timings - 7-7-7-24
    i7 920 @ 4ghz | GTX 590 | 12gb Ram | Lots of Watercooling | Triple Screen 3D | Simcraft Vertex 3 GT Full Motion Cockpit
    iRacing | Battlefield 3

Comment

You should also disable and uninstall ASUS's EPU software if you have that running on your machine. It makes overclocks unstable and is known to crash a OC'd system. If you're overclocking, you should be disabling Turbo Mode unless you have dynamic vcore enabled (assuming your mobo has such a feature).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks Acreao. I typically don't have any of Asus's software running, so I'll just make sure it is uninstalled.

I'll kill Turbo as well. I've been reading that spread spectrum should be disabled as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/gu...-930-to-4-0ghz

I'll let you know what I find. My watercooling is much more capable now compared to when I did the overclocking, so I was expecting to stay stable. Perhaps I'll just go through the entire process again, maybe I can get 4.4!
        iRacing | Battlefield 3

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X