need some input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some input

OK, my son is building a budget gamer....he wants to play with the big boys at TG :)

He will be using a 3.3 ghz phenom II quad core and 8 gigs of memory. My question is this. He will game at 1440X900 on a 19" monitor....what vid card will give him some decent performance at say medium settings.
    I'm seeing guys on newegg with 6770's saying they can run the game decently with that card? How abouit the 550TI. I think he wants to use that.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: need some input

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127666

For $80 plays Skyrim, MW3, and BF3. You could always spend more but this would do the job with little to no sacrifice.

(Could be a help as well, since power requirements are minimal, a good 450 watt psu should suffice)
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

my 550ti is not as powerful as my 4870. you would probably need a 560 to do the job well if you wanted nvidia.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

On the NVIDIA side the GTX 550 Ti will be your best option. This one from EVGA would be my first choice. Cost $140, and has a rebate that'll knock that down to $120. Keep in mind that the GTX 600 series is expected to launch this month, however they'll roll out the flagship cards before they get to the budget card you'd be looking for.

As for AMD, they just rolled out the HD7000 series of cards and the HD7770 GHz Edition cards seem to be doing quite well in BF3. Here's the BF3 benchmarks from tomshardware.com's review of the 7770. They'll run you about $160 price-wise.
        The cheaper option for AMD is the HD6000 series cards, specifically the 6770 or 6790. The 6790's cost around $130, and the 6770's are scattered around $110-$140. I'd lean towards the 6790, which should be on par with or even slightly better than the GTX 550.

My preference in descending order, GTX 550 > HD7770 > HD6790 > HD6770

What kind of budget do you have to work off of Ven?

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Thats just it....he's 16. To his credit he does have a job as a cook at ponderosa resturaunt. So in a nutshell money is tight to say the least. I am trying to scrounge parts from past builds. I have:

250 gb HD
          CDRW drive

I think I can get him a case for free from my IT guy at work who is also a gamer, so I need a CPU, MOBO, and vid card solution. Memory is cheap so thats not a big deal.
          I figure 125$ for the processor
          $80 for a decent MOBO
          $70 for a decent PSU
          I just need a decent card for BF3. I would hate for him to put money into this only to be disappointed.

I'm a little surprised that dog says the 550TI is not as powerful as the older 4870.....I had a 4890 and cant imagine trying to play bf3 on that card.....
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Interesting article I found while doing some searching around this topic:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21982/4
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

I have this card. Usually goes on sale for 135.99 + free shipping jsut bought every other week. Runs BF3 on all High with no stuttering, I can see what the avg. fps are tommorow evening. Hell, I have been working on convincing my wife to let me upgrade to a newer card for fun and if that is ok'd by the boss lady I will be offering up my card for sale for $80. It's only 5.5 months old.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                I think I can get him a case for free from my IT guy at work who is also a gamer, so I need a CPU, MOBO, and vid card solution. Memory is cheap so thats not a big deal.
                I figure 125$ for the processor
                $80 for a decent MOBO
                $70 for a decent PSU
                I just need a decent card for BF3. I would hate for him to put money into this only to be disappointed.
                I thought you said hes got a processor already? Regardless, ATI's 6 series is pretty good. A buddy of mine was running a 6850 on highs in his rig and it held up quite well. He moved to 2 6850s later on but he gets wicked deals on stuff through work so he kind of just got it for the hell of it.
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                  Interesting article I found while doing some searching around this topic:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21982/4
                  Good find namebot :D
                  I just wish I could find benches at 1440x900

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Still nice to see my "budget" card (I have a GTX460 I payed $100) do as well as it does and I have no game issues @1440 x 900.
                    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Hows it do in bf3 bronco?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

It does great. Didn't really think I'd see as much improvement when I moved from my GTX9800 but the gain was exponential. They have the frames right in the article linked above as I see a solid 40's no matter what (1440x900, high). I never see stuttering and lately have very few lag issues as well.

ps I've also seen some performance charts that compare it to the GTX560 and it wins in some of the bench marks esp. Crysis and FarCry2.
                        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I am coming from video editing and day to day tasks, not heavy gaming. The geforce stutters and freezes - especially when doing full screen on the secondary screen. My radeon had half the ram and was silk smooth across the board. maybe I am missing something.... Windows agrees though, putting the wie score for my 4870 at 7.6 where the 550 comes in at 7.4. I just feel like I am sacrificing performance to have the cuda cores.

Maybe I just need to do some tinkering.....

EDIT: http://www.hwcompare.com/9753/geforc...hd-4870-512mb/

looks like I was not crazy afterall.......
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Well pulled the trigger and parts are on order. here is my sons budget gamer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157280

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103995

I have a case my buddy gave me......custom paint job is in progress :)

had a cooler, dvd drive, and hdd as well

I'll let you know If I get the cpu to unlock to hexcore....right now it looks like 80% of them do :)

I will post up pics as this is a father son thing.
                            Last edited by Ven; 03-09-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Awesome, I was just about to post that you might be able to find a ati HD 6870 for around $150-160 on sale. But the 6850 will do the job, just give it a slight overclock and it will run as good as a 6870.(I've used both cards now own a 6950) I'm sure at 1440X900 he won't be disappointed by the purchase even at 1600X900 or 1680X1050 if you plan on an upgrade for the monitor. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to the custom paint job pictures. (:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X