Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a decent budget cpu for my sons gaming rig?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a decent budget cpu for my sons gaming rig?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-19103996-L0A

looking to run bf3 on med settings with a 6850 or 6870 card. Need some input before I pull the trigger
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: Is this a decent budget cpu for my sons gaming rig?

Yeah, that one will work fine. BF3 isn't too picky about CPU, as long as it's relatively current. The game is more GPU intensive than anything else.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3120-10.html

This article says you should go with intel. It shows the intel i3-2100 outperforming nearly all amd chips(i3-2120 is $110 @ newegg at the moment). The "pentium" branded sandybridge chips perform better than the FX-4100 for $20-30 less and would leave him with a better upgrade path to an sandy/ivy bridge quadcore that would be a bigger jump than any amd upgrade available on their current socket.

NOTE: the BF3 charts in that article show flat performance across almost all CPUs tested, but they tested single player which has much lower requirements on the CPU than multiplayer. In other words they didn't test it in a way that you care about.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Ven, this is the same CPU I've selected as a bridge to the next gen AMD processors. It tests and performs well enough and as long as you have an AM3+ socket you'll be in good shape (plus moving from the HD9750 at 2.4 it will be a significant performance gain) although I'm not really having any issue with what I'm running.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X