HD Prices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Prices.

Just some news about the price of hard drives due to the flooding in Thailand.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...could-reverse/

Re: HD Prices.

Eh, it's been quite a few months and HDD prices are still pretty high. Still holding off building a new system until it comes back down to pre-flood pricing. I thought the article was pretty speculative. I haven't found any news on the status of those hard drive production facilities at all, so unless we know those factories are back at full swing, I don't see how price hike could reverse anytime soon if demand is still outstripping production (much less stocking up on reserves).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ehh, I'm still holding out on buying HDDs again, but I'm in dire need of one soon. My storage drives are all on their last 10 gigs or so.

Does anyone remember the average price of a 3TB WD Green drive pre-flood?

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

I also am holding off on hard drives. Im not sure if SSDs are affected by this at all,assuming they are though. Im going to wait until they are around $1/Gig.
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
          I also am holding off on hard drives. Im not sure if SSDs are affected by this at all,assuming they are though. Im going to wait until they are around $1/Gig.
          SSD's were not affected by the flooding. In fact, many tech sites began recommending SSD's more as the HD prices inflated to 2-3x their normal prices because at that point the SSD value proposition was much more appealing.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Even users recommend SSD's more, they're just better, more reliable.

One of my colleagues once had a customer where I used to work who had a hard drive with 10 years worth of work on it, just gone, like that.
            Faulty Hard Drive.
            "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
            "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
            "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

I'm not sure on SSD reliability. Don't they require charges to retain their data?

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

Originally posted by louis0415 View Post
                I'm not sure on SSD reliability. Don't they require charges to retain their data?
                "According to Anandtech, SSDs lose their charge (and their data) after roughly 10 years regardless, so with an SSD tuned for maximum data retention you could keep data intact for 10 years."

Whilst a hard drive could be purchased one day, and fail the next day.
                Back on the topic of customers, we once issued a customer an exchange laptop.
                We unboxed a brand spanking new laptop to set up for her,
                5 minutes after usage the hard drive began the "click of death", the spinning blade was bouncing off the center piece.
                "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
                "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
                "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

My research says SSDs hold a worse failure rate than hard disks mainly due to the onboard disk controllers' growing pains. The key to not losing your data is not to choose between a HD or a SSD, but to duplicate your data on more than one device and depending on how paranoid you are in more than one geographic location or even keeping versions of the data. From most of the reports SSD's are good for specific tasks but resistance to failure caused by normal usage is not one that they beat hard disks in.

As for the price of a 3TB 5400rpm drive before the price hike. I seem to recall it being ~$120.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X