Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, HOW EXACTLY do I upgrade to 64 bit system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, HOW EXACTLY do I upgrade to 64 bit system?

So i've had 6GB memory for probably a year or two now. And just today as I got my new Radeon 6850 to help me play BF3 do I realize that only "2.75" is usable. All this time... all.. this.. time..

I am now looking to upgrading to 64 bit. But I have no clue and my Google searches show people who already know how it works. I don't really understand the process. With my current hardware - am I able to do it? Is it just a different iOS version? Don't I need some special CPU or something?

I currently have a GTX 8800, Radeon 6850, Intel Quad Core 2 6600, and an XFX Nforce 680i LT motherboard.
    [TP]Cavazos
    www.tigersplatoon.com

Re: Okay, HOW EXACTLY do I upgrade to 64 bit system?

Just install Windows 7 64 bit, preferably Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
    If your Motherboard is holding 6GB at the moment it's 64 bit compatible, otherwise you'd have issues.
    "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
    "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
    "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

The only requirements for running a 64-bit system is the CPU and the Operating System. Your Core 2 Quad 6600 supports 64-bit and is good to go. You just have to pick up a copy of Windows 7 64-bit and install it on your computer. Win 7 64-bit comes in Home, Professional and Ultimate versions. I'm going to disagree with Colin here and tell you that Ultimate is largely a waste of money for all but a few users. Just pick up a copy of Win 7 64 Home or Professional.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Ah thank you for the help. That was simple. Haha. Now.. to pony up another $100+ cash for another Windows 7. Damnit.

Hey, everything should be saved on my computer right? I mean I have an external hard drive I keep a lot of stuff in, but just curious.
        [TP]Cavazos
        www.tigersplatoon.com

Comment

No. New operating system will wipe and reformat your internal hard drive. You will start from scratch. Whatever you want saved you better back up to your external drive.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

^This

When doing 64 bit you are basically starting from scratch. Find the drive you want your OS on, remove everything you dont want to lose and keep it safe. Then put in the disk and go through the long (but no so long if you use SSD....yes that was a shameless plug) process of wiping and installing. Once thats done you will be all set. The only part that takes forever is changing all your crap over to 64 bit lol. I was thinking ahead and took all my install files and moved them to my new SSD thinking I was saving time. Turns out it was all 32 bit lmao. I spent all night downloading EVERYTHING!

Btw, are you a 68 Whiskey?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Wait, doesn't a single Windows 7 disc come in both flavors (32 and 64)? As in, any disc can install either type of install?

And yeah, it'll rewrite your disc. You MIGHT get a folder that says something like old.*** , that has all of your old files. But I wouldn't risk it-- just back your stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                Wait, doesn't a single Windows 7 disc come in both flavors (32 and 64)? As in, any disc can install either type of install?

And yeah, it'll rewrite your disc. You MIGHT get a folder that says something like old.*** , that has all of your old files. But I wouldn't risk it-- just back your stuff up.
                No, both do not come in the same disc.

Comment

I've heard that the CD-keys are usable by either form of windows 7. So if you could get a hold of some Windows 7 64 bit install media you could possibly avoid having to purchase another license by reusing your old CD-key. Anyone know for sure?
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I have done this. It did require a call into M$ tech support to activate over the phone, was pretty painless took about 10mins or so. They have/had a dedicated number to call for doing this.

@Kwalc, depends on the disc. I got the Family pack last year one disc 3 license's would do either 32 or 64bit.
                    sigpic

Comment

when you get a legit copy of Windows 7, you get a 32 bit Disc, and 64 bit Disc, in one box, which also contains the license on a piece of thin cardboard.
                      I think it's the same with Ultimate. the shop I worked in only had Upgrade packages for Ultimate and Professional.

Comment

I believe if you bought a retail copy of Windows 7, you have access to 32-bit or 64-bit versions. You should be able to call Microsoft and have them send you a 64-bit disc. If you bought an OEM copy of Windows 7, I think you only have access to whichever version you got.

If your computer only has one hard drive installed, you will need to take some important steps to back everything up because this data will get lost when you reformat and install the fresh copy of Windows. Your best bet is to either use a second hard drive or an external hard drive to store copies of important files. Here is a short list of things you probably want to make copies of:

-Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos. Typically everything in your My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc folders or wherever you store these types of files.

-Go to the Start Menu, All Programs - Read through that list of programs and write down everything that you will want on your fresh install of Windows. No matter what, you will have to re-download those apps or re-install them from the original install discs, but it helps to make this list so you remember everything you need.

-Now go through the folders on your hard drive through File Explorer and make copies of any other important files/folders that you would like to keep.

You have to assume that anything you did not make a copy of will be lost during your re-install of Windows.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

ok... everyone pay attention....

Windows license keys ARE VALID for x86 AND x64 bit versions. If you did not get a CD with both x64 and x86 versions on it (e.g. an oem copy...) then you CAN LEGALLY download a retail DVD for Windows 7 - which will have ALL flavors of windows, from starter to ultimate - and in both x86 and x64 - and simply enter your keycode. IF you have a hope premium keycode, it will ask if you want to install the 32bit or the 64bit version of HP.

PLEASE READ THIS! The only three things needed to be completely legal are:

A Valid keycode
                          a Certificate of Authenticity
                          media that included the EULA

since the keycode is on the COA sticker, and no one ever changes or removed the EULA from the install media - downloading the media is perfectly legal. You can also take a dell OEM DVD and install it with a retail keycode or a retail DVD with a dell oem keycode.

THERE ARE NOT RETAIL / OEM KEYCODES ANYMORE. only upgrade and full install. keys are valid for x64 and x86 versions of the same sku. all retail DVD's are the all in one - only the keycode determines the version. downloading the retail DVD is not against the therms of the EULA, and will not be an issue with Microsoft.

I have called and talked to many different ppl at MS, at the activation center, the CS desk for my MSDN Subscription, and tech support - and all tell me the same thing. They don't care about where the media comes from. They just care if the Eula is in tact, and that you have a legit COA sticker.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
                            when you get a legit copy of Windows 7, you get a 32 bit Disc, and 64 bit Disc, in one box, which also contains the license on a piece of thin cardboard.
                            I think it's the same with Ultimate. the shop I worked in only had Upgrade packages for Ultimate and Professional.
                            this only applies to upgrade discs. I have a retail HP upgrade and it was the same way (though if you do not put in the keycode, you get to choose the version from starter to ultimate. My HP retail full install was an all in one disc. I don't know why they bother splitting the upgrades....

and on upgrades, the old COA and keycode are considered part of the new OS, which is why upgrades only get the keycode on a piece of cardstock and no coa sticker.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                              this only applies to upgrade discs. I have a retail HP upgrade and it was the same way (though if you do not put in the keycode, you get to choose the version from starter to ultimate. My HP retail full install was an all in one disc. I don't know why they bother splitting the upgrades....

and on upgrades, the old COA and keycode are considered part of the new OS, which is why upgrades only get the keycode on a piece of cardstock and no coa sticker.
                              Not even upgrade discs. When I worked in Retail, as a technician I used to install both new copies AND upgrade versions of windows 7 for customers who wanted it, and both discs came in one box.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X