No announcement yet.

Micro Processor Upgrade Assistance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Processor Upgrade Assistance

Hello Techies, I require some assistance in making the right decision for a micro processor upgrade.

Currently I run Windows XP 32 bit, with an Nvidia GTX 260 Graphics Card (Soon to be 285). We've had to stick to micro processors that will run with our mother board, and here are the choices.
    Currently I use an Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz, the motherboard supports up to Intel Core2 Extreme Quad-Core Processors and I'm wondering if any of you know any information about particular 'Extreme' models that run on desktop PCs. Another choice would be an Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz, I am not sure on if these are stable and I'm conducting my own research for reviews, and benchmarks for the models.

Thought I'd ask you all since you're most likely a bit more tech savvy then me.

Thanks, Sushi.

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
    Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Re: Micro Processor Upgrade Assistance

Sounds like you have a Socket 775 motherboard. I think your best bet is to go with any of the newer 45nm Core 2 Quad processors like a Q9450, Q9550 or Q9650. You could also get one of the older Core 2 Quads like the QX6800 or QX6850, but I would only go for one of those if they were about the same price as a Q9550.

These processors are all very good quality and stable, they're just getting a bit long in the tooth compared to newer Intel Quad core processors.

Also, make sure your motherboard supports these newer Socket 775 CPU's as some of the older motherboards required a BIOS update.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed