Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mobo and CPU, Will W7 make me do a fresh intall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mobo and CPU, Will W7 make me do a fresh intall?

So i bought a new Mobo, CPU, and memory and am wondering if Windows 7 will force me to do a fresh install. The reason I am concerned is because I'm not sure where I put my Windows 7 cd...
    FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Re: New Mobo and CPU, Will W7 make me do a fresh intall?

You'll have to re-install, safest option.
    Your current windows 7 is installed to your motherboard and cpu settings,
    If you used the same installation on a new mobo and cpu it will blue screen every time you try booting

For the cd problem, get a Key Finder to grab your key and download the OEM version of windows from the net, Doing this isn't illegal and you aren't breaking any laws.
    "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
    "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
    "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

For the record, I didn't reinstall and I haven't had the first BSOD or crash since then.

This isn't an OEM version of Win7, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
        For the record, I didn't reinstall and I haven't had the first BSOD or crash since then.

This isn't an OEM version of Win7, right?
        A re-installation would be recommended for best performance because the first installation is done to your chipset etc
        "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
        "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
        "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Speaking from recent experience, just search threads I have started, I have come to this simple conclusion: If its not the same chipset i.e., old system and new system are Intel P67s, its best to do a fresh install. There are threads here that can assist you in how to do a sysprep that will remove all old drivers for motherboard but it can be as much trouble as just doing a fresh install. It could also take you longer, if your not familiar with it. When I went from a P45 to a P67 chipset, it went semi alright. There were some driver issues and it took some time to get the system to settle down. When I went from P67 to Z68, I was able to use a program called Paragon Adaptive Recovery to remove P67 drivers and install Z68. The system would not boot at all when I changed out just the motherboards.

You may also run into licensing issues with W7. It shouldnt take much more than calling Microsoft and having them re-accredit your license. Half hour phone call at best. This has just been my personal experience with the four motherboard swaps, three CPUs, three graphics cards, and can barely count on a single hand hard drives over the past three years(iirc) on two fresh installs of W7.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X