Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old programmer looking to get back involved with programming again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old programmer looking to get back involved with programming again.

Just some basics. After high school I went to school for computer programming + other related type courses. I learned to use 5 or 6 different languages most of which were pretty much dead already but it gave me a good basis for understanding. After graduating I was never able to get a job as a programmer but a friend had a book and compiler for Turbo Pascal that I used to play around with since I had access to it. After awhile I had other things to do so stopped.

Jump forward 20+ yrs and I've started feeling the bug to write some of my own programs again but don't know where to start.

I'm not looking for anything fancy just looking for something versitle to write some programs and maybe throw down some basic game ideas I started but never finished 20 yrs ago.

I was thinking c++ but I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you for any input you may have.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Re: Old programmer looking to get back involved with programming again.

Well with C++ you're going to end up writing a lot of things from scratch and there are a lot more concepts to understand to get something off the ground. You might want to take a look at Java, C# or Python. All three are pretty versatile featuring object oriented approaches, automatic garbage collection and stellar communities. However don't get me wrong C++ is a powerful language and also an industry standard in AAA titles.

If you're looking to prototype games there are a lot of libraries to get you up and running quick.

C++ = Allegro, Irrlicht, Open Game Engine
    Java = Lightweight Java Game Library
    C# = MonoGame, XNA
    Python = Pygame, Blender Game Engine

There's a lot more out there and really it just comes down to your project goals. Also after you figure this out you'll want to get your pipeline set up. IDE, complier, tools (image/sound editing, 3d modeler, etc...), file structure, programming conventions and the list goes on.
    sigpic

Comment

What's this "Bash" that I'm hearing about lately. It sounded like it was a new programming language, but I'm not sure.

Comment

I could use the week off. Head on down to the AZ Mexican border and do my programming for the week.

Its visual logic. You'll figgure it out.

sent from the phone using magic
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I'm just a student, but I've used Java before and liked it. It is relatively simple, but I used Eclipse Galileo when I had to do the programming work...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Actually, I've heard from many sources that Java is a bad place to go to, simply due to its verbosity. I'd say stick with C++ or C#.

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
              What's this "Bash" that I'm hearing about lately. It sounded like it was a new programming language, but I'm not sure.
              http://breckyunits.com/code/the_bash...mming_language

The bash language is the scripting language that goes along with the Linux/Unix bash shell.

Unless there is another bash that I have not heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                Unless there is another bash that I have not heard of.
                I'm sure there's one type of bashing that many here have never heard before. At least not in real life...

Comment

What about visual basic?

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X