packet loss and lag issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• packet loss and lag issues

just wondering if anyone can help me with this situation, when ever i am on teamspeak, watching movies, or playing games it seems my video and audio start lagging every so often. when i'm on teamspeak and someone is talking on it, their voice starts to skip for 2 seconds then goes back to normal. or when i watch a video on my computer or on netflix instant the movie frames drop then continue. and with games my ping shoots up to 300 and fps drops to 10, then goes back to normal. when i flew a helicopter in bf3 i would crash to the ground every time this happens. just wondering if there is a way to fix that. now the computer i'm using is hooked up with a wire to the router, router i use is a Linksys. and i'm pretty sure i'm the only one on the internet cause it happens even when im playing games at 1am and im the only one up in the house. here is my system specs if u need it plus the windows os im using..

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz
    9GB DDR3 RAM
    4GB Geforce GTX 260
    Windows 7 64-bit
    1TB Hard Drive.

I've ran a defrag, checked my anti-virus & other programs that help with spyware and such, my drivers for everything is updated, windows updates are all upgraded as well, also cleaned up my pc. so if is able to help me with this i would appreciate it

Google for internet line test and try a multiple of them. It also doesn't hurt to start calling your ISP about it or just say you aren't getting the speed you are paying for, they won't do much but over the phone help, like run cmd prompt to ping their servers. After another phone call or two they will actually send out a technician to test.

are the drivers/firmware up to date for the modem/router/network card you are using?

Comment

Re: packet loss and lag issues

Are you connected to internet via wireless? If so, try using an ethernet cable instead. Also, as Scotty says, reinstall and/or update your ethernet port drivers.

If you are getting packet loss though, that my be your ISP's problem.

Comment

He's wired. Do a traceroute via command line to the server IP you wish to play on. That will show packet loss/bad hops. Do it a lot as evidence to show your ISP the 'quality' of your connection.

Worry about drivers later, Wicks' rule of IT, simple things first, one step at a time, process of elimination, learnt the hard way, believe me. If your connection seems to be the issue check that first as in 99% of these problems that is where the problem usually resides. If you have a near perfect connection, ie stable, minimal packet loss, minimal jitter, then look elsewhere.

Comment

Could also be your cat5 line... Try to use a friends. Does sound like an ISP issue

Comment

Start w/ the cable. Then try running directly to your ISP cable modem/router, I have had issues with home routers. If it still happens when running directly to ISP box, yes, check w/ your ISP. I was having random drops, turned out it was a splitter in the coax plant in the house.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X