No announcement yet.

How to compare video card performance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to compare video card performance?

So I've finally bit the bullet and picked up a PNY XLR8 GTX 465. It should be a drastic improvement over my current, an XFX Radeon HD 4850. Normally, I just dive right in and replace the card so as to quicker marvel at my newfound game performance. This once I'd like to be more methodical, and actually quantify the improvement. So before I pull the plug on the computer, what measurements should I take of the "before" state?

Needless to say, I'll be tracking my fps readings in BF3 (where I'm currently riding the glorious wave of 28-34fps), but I'd like to get some synthetic benchmark values to go along with that. Any favourites y'all care to recommend?

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: How to compare video card performance?

Big upgrade. With some overclocking, it'll kill the 4850.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=631&card2=566

Comment

To clarify, I'm not looking for benchmarking sites: I want to test my actual card in my actual machine.

--BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      --Blackraven93

Comment

You could go to Futuremark and download the latest 3DMark. The free version has default settings that you can't change, but it would at least give you a numerical indication of how much your performance has improved. Honestly I think artificial benchmarks like these are useless.

Better option is to just run fraps in every game you play. Set each test to record FPS for a 5 minute interval and run 3 separate tests on each game.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

www.hwcompare.com
          "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
          "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
          "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Voodoo, thanks. I grabbed a copy of 3DMark Vantage, since the old card couldn't do DX11.
            Results were:
            4850: 8106 3DMarks
            GTX 465: 11039 3DMarks
            Supposedly only a 36% improvement. On the other hand, I saw roughly a doubling of my framerates in BF3, which is the only game where I was being limited by my video card. (From 32 to 60-65. Yes, I was playing at 32fps before.)

A question re: fraps: In games like BF3, where you can enable fps output internally, would fraps still be the better way?

--BlackMirror
            --Blackraven93

Comment

I would just use the in-game render.drawfps 1 command. For screen shots and fps fraps is ok but as soon as u record it makes your pc bow down to it's FPS reducing greatness.

Comment

fraps gives you the raw data for your fps averages. I don't believe the ingame command does, does it? You would just be guessing at your average FPS by looking at your screen from tim to time if so.

Comment

The easiest way is to check out the reviews in website. You should able to find all the information there.

Comment

Stick with fraps. What I do is install it on an external hard drive. When ever I record on games like ArmA 2 and DCS Black Shark, I only see fps loss of around 5.

Comment

Check out the review website. There are plenty. Just in the model you want like "HD6850 Review" and you will find a lot already.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X