Headset Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headset Help

So after a long singleplayer dive I'm starting to surface back into MP gaming. Except my ridiculously comfortable Razer Characias headset has given up the ghost. Not the whole thing, just the mic. It must of dried up from lack of use. So I really need some suggestions for a new set. I will not pay more than $90.

I was really thinking about these but I have read some bad things about the microphone:
    http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Si.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

I've also read some good things about these but they don't look comfortable:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-C...3365769&sr=1-1

I'm not really looking for crazy audiophile level playback. I want a comfortable headset with decent playback for mainly gaming.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: Headset Help

Well Tritton's headsets (now owned by MadCatz) has pretty good all around headsets. I like surround headsets. I'm really interested in Razer's Tiamat but if you're looking for something under $100 try this Tritton headset. The design is quite comfortable and easily adjustable. The sound quality is good for both gaming and general entertainment (music, movies, etc...) but is by no means an audiophile setup if you ever are looking for that just search Sennheiser HD555.

http://amzn.com/B004W7PHVO
    sigpic

Comment

If you're looking at anything from Steelseries, they're pretty good overall. I had a 5Hv2 for a couple years and liked it a lot, except for the lack of bass. Right now I'm running an Audio Technica AD700 with a $10 clip-on mic. Ran me about $100, but was well worth it.

Why not replace the Characias with a new set? Just curious.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I'm not replacing my Characias because for the price, I might as well spend the extra $25 or so and get a better set up. Preferably one that one that won't break after a slight drop. I've been eying those Audio Technica AD700 all afternoon. I think I'll pick up the clip on mic to get me through next week (huray for Prime shipping!) then pick up the AD700's next paycheck. Are they comfortable and or durable?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
          I'm not replacing my Characias because for the price, I might as well spend the extra $25 or so and get a better set up. Preferably one that one that won't break after a slight drop. I've been eying those Audio Technica AD700 all afternoon. I think I'll pick up the clip on mic to get me through next week (huray for Prime shipping!) then pick up the AD700's next paycheck. Are they comfortable and or durable?
          The AD700's are beautiful. Very comfortable, and easily the best sound quality I've gotten out of a headset yet. I'd say they're on par with many recording headsets. Definitely worth it in my opinion if you can swing the price.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I've been looking for something new for weeks now too. I keep almost buying different ones from playtronics, steel series, turtle beach ........ and talk myself out of it at the last minute. I am using an older logitech set, I just have such a hard time deciding!

If you get the AD700's let us know what you think of them Spyder, I trust Lancer and everything but...... ;) two opinnions are better than one.
            sigpic

Comment

So I'm beginning to think that my aging Creative X-fi is on it's last legs as well. I know my microphone is bad as I tested it on another computer, but I was getting some odd playback in ME3 tonight and it frequently cuts down to only playing out of the front left channel.

I'm thinking I might have to replace the whole sound set up. What sort of sound cards is everyone running these days?

Comment

I have an inherent mistrust of Creative, as I've been screwed by them a couple times. I'd go for one of ASUS's Xonar series cards. I'm just using onboard on this machine, but I do have an ASUS Xonar DX in my secondary machine back home. No problems with it, sound is fine, but the interface is crap in my opinion.

My two cents.

Comment

I went from my Carcharias (left ear phone died) to a pair of Sennheisers 350, the only thing was is they hiked up the price from 100 to 175.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

The G35's are actually quite comfortable with a good level of playback as well.

Former TG-21st
                    Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Whatever you do...Stay away from Turtle Beach, comfortable, good sound, good mic but notoriously weak wiring. Mine lasted just over 45 days, enough to pass the stores return so I had to RMA to the mfgr. Got the new set today its still in the eggshell package, I will be trying to sell them (not to anyone here). I am now using these: http://goincase.com/products/detail/sonic-ec30003s, which are the most comfortable, best sounding headset I have ever owned. It has the mic in the cord and an iPod/IPhone type plug but I have a splitter so I can use it on my PC. Gaming!!?? you may laugh but the mic is clear and I am heard clearly while playing Arma and the sound quality is superb and I can play for hours with no discomfort. I didn't pay $149,I got them for $69 ($82 out the door)on Woot. They do not look like big ol gaming cans and are not advertised as such but I love them. They come in three colors, I have the black.
                      Last edited by ChiefBoatsRet; 04-20-2012, 03:25 AM.

Comment

One word for you......SENNHEISER.

Fantastic sound, very comfortable, outstanding quality.

Comment

How about the Arctic P531. I'm using it right now and is not bad at all actually. The reason I bought it was becuase it can vibrate during gaming. lol

Comment

He is looking for something under $100 Wickens... although you are right if he wants a headset Sennheiser is the way to go.

If you are looking into headphones (AD700), you should also read up on the Fostex T50RP. They are very good out of the box, but with a little, easy modding (felt and blu-tack) they apparently rival $800-1000 headphones (truly). I don't have that kind of money to compare myself but the T50RPs do sound amazing.

The AD700s have less bass which is good for gaming, but not so much for music and movies. I was debating between the AD700s and the T50RPs a year ago and I went with the T50RP since I do more than just gaming. I turn down the bass via my sound card's equalizer when playing games. I then run a flat EQ for everything else. I haven't compared the AD700 with the T50RP myself, but I absolutely love my headphones. My Sennhieser PC350s were king until I heard the T50RPs. They are much better than the Sennhieser PC350s and every other "gaming" headset I have used. I have read that the Senn PC360 are supposed to be better than the PC350s, but they are out of your price range. The T50RPs are a bit heavier than my PC350s were, but I got used to it within a week.

Fostex T50RP for $75 shipped - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eadphones.html

As far as sound cards go, look into ASUS and Auzentech.

PS: The Fostex T50RP is made to be plugged into an amp, so you may need an headphone adapter to plug into the 3.5mm jack on your sound card. I eventually went with a $15 one from Grado since the $2 ones kept breaking on me :(
                            Last edited by DaViking; 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM.
                            Viking

Comment

I would definitely go for Logitech. It looks so much better than steelseries

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X