GeForce 6600 AGP help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 6600 AGP help

I'm having the problem of the game crashing back to the desktop from a black screen. I think it may have something to do with the fact that my GeForce 6600 w/ 256mb is AGP instead of PCIe. Is there anything I can do to skirt around the fact that I have an AGP card and make the game work? Thanks in advance.

Re: GeForce 6600 AGP help

Originally posted by Wubbman
    I'm having the problem of the game crashing back to the desktop from a black screen. I think it may have something to do with the fact that my GeForce 6600 w/ 256mb is AGP instead of PCIe. Is there anything I can do to skirt around the fact that I have an AGP card and make the game work? Thanks in advance.
    The fact that it is AGP shouldn't matter. Most of us have AGP cards, I'm sure...

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions other than to recommend that you've downloaded and installed the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I bought the card a few days ago and installed the drivers that came with it. I then installed the drivers that came w/ the game just to see if that would help. Unless there are some drivers that are newer than that I don't know what else to do really. I've checked the EA Help desk thing that game with the game and pretty much all my specs are up to date. One thing is that I haven't updated my sound card driver for quite sometime, but I can't imagine that that would make the game crash. Thanks for the quick response, CD.

Comment

I bought the card a few days ago and installed the drivers that came with it. I then installed the drivers that came w/ the game just to see if that would help. Unless there are some drivers that are newer than that I don't know what else to do really. I've checked the EA Help desk thing that game with the game and pretty much all my specs are up to date. One thing is that I haven't updated my sound card driver for quite sometime, but I can't imagine that that would make the game crash. Thanks for the quick response, CD.
        Yes, updated drivers are important. If you haven't updated your drivers in a while, I'd go update everything: video, motherboard, and sound drivers.
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I'm at home right now from college and don't have an internet connection. I will be moving back within a week though. Do you think it could really be just the drivers that are causing the problem? Where can I get a mother board driver? I have an Intel 850E. Thanks.

Comment

its probably the drivers....there are newer/better drivers than the ones the game came with...i suggest that you try those first...what are your other computer specs?

Comment

P4 2.4ghz
              512mb RDRAM
              80gb hard drive
              DirectX 9.0c
              Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
              aforementioned video card
              16x DVDR
              24x CDRW

I won't be back to school until next Sunday, so that will be the earliest I can d/l any new drivers. :( Thanks for the help.

Comment

the problems I see with your system is your RAM... See if you can boost it up at least till 1GB and preferably 2GB.

I have 6600 256MB AGP and I play just fine. Also as people said latest drivers are fatal.

Comment

1 gig RAM would do you fine. You don't need 2 gig unless you want the best graphics in the dorm running at the highest resolutions possible.

As far as CTDs, many people don't realize that often it is due to an overheating issue. Programs can act very strangely when the CPU/Video card is overheating, and a CTD is a common problem. If you run with your case lid on, take it off. Allow your system to breath and see if that helps. If you are overclocking anything, place everything back to default speeds.
                  Telorn

Comment

The graphics card I have isn't overclocked and I don't think anything is overheating (every other program works like normal). I'll get more RAM sooner or later (as soon as more funds come in). Hopefully I can make everything work once I get internet back at school. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

The graphics card I have isn't overclocked and I don't think anything is overheating (every other program works like normal). I'll get more RAM sooner or later (as soon as more funds come in). Hopefully I can make everything work once I get internet back at school. Thanks for all the help.
                      Just because every other program works fine doesn't mean you aren't overheating. It's an extremely odd situation and each program can deal with it differently. Try downloading a CPU/GPU temp sensor and see what it runs at. I have hardware thermal sensors, so I don't know of any software offhanded.

But I can tell you, that when I'd forget to crank up the CPU fan on BF2, it would work fine for 30-50 minutes and then all of a sudden CTD on me. After I turned the fan up, it stopped. When my wife was playing the SIMS and she wouldn't turn the fan up, it crashed and locked up on her too.

However, other programs work just fine when the CPU fan is on low.
                      Telorn

Comment

BF2 is more demanding on the cpu and gpu than most other programs. They will get hotter when you start playing the game.

Comment

Moved from BF2 forum.
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X