Computer Speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Speakers

Well after 5 years my computer speakers are starting to die...the system shuts off every 5 minutes and I can't take it anymore.

So I'm in the market for high-quality 5.1 computer speakers. Back in 2007 there were a dozen brands to choose from. Today? I found TWO BRANDS for good speakers, Logitech and Bose. The Bose I'm not even considering. The Logitech are the Z906, a 500-watt system that replaces the now-discontinued Z5500. They aren't a bad option, but have mixed reviews. I hate that they're my only choice. Sure, I could get some of the lower costing speakers, but I'm not looking for 9-watt satellite speakers that "sound good for what you paid for", I want an all-encompassing sound field with high fidelity sound. If i can spend over $1000 on the monitor and video card, I can splurge on the sound! Headphones bother me so I don't necessarily want to do that (plus how do I hear stuff going on behind me?).

Is this what the industry is coming to? Sound cards and MoBos are going from "sound out" to 5.1 and now 7.1 sound in just a few years while speaker brands are going from 5.1 systems to "left and right" speakers???

How is it that people are spending $1000's on 3 monitors and $1000's on video cards, and just throw together a $50 speaker system. Sound is just as important as video!

So what should I do? Settle for the Z906's? Should I be looking into a home theater system and hooking my X-Fi up to those with optical out? If so, any suggestions?

What are you all doing for sound?

Re: Computer Speakers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121044

I've got these ones (hooked into my $2700 tower with my $200 monitor :)) and they're extremely badass.

Otherwise, I guess you can settle on spending $375 on speakers. I mean, I know sound's important, but I couldn't justify paying that much on speakers when personally I'd rather put it elsewhere on my computer.

Comment

I have the same one as mangel.

Comment

Logitech X-530's, into my €2,320 tower :p
        "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
        "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
        "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

I've got my trusty, rusty Logitech Z-560's. They still rattle my neighbor's windows and blow out the light bulb in the ceiling of the room downstairs.

My brother recently bought the Logitech Z623's and he's pretty satisfied, but he doesn't need more than 2.1's.

I don't know that it'd be "settling" if you went with the Z906's. I've had very good luck with all of my Logitech products (mice and speakers) and highly recommend them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
            I've got my trusty, rusty Logitech Z-560's. They still rattle my neighbor's windows and blow out the light bulb in the ceiling of the room downstairs.

My brother recently bought the Logitech Z623's and he's pretty satisfied, but he doesn't need more than 2.1's.

I don't know that it'd be "settling" if you went with the Z906's. I've had very good luck with all of my Logitech products (mice and speakers) and highly recommend them.
            Would you recommend the Z-560's?

Thinking of upgrading from my X-530's sometime.

Comment

If Logitech still made the Z-560's, I'd recommend them all day, every day.. and twice on Sunday! They're the best 4.1 computer speakers I've ever owned. Unfortunately, I think they've been discontinued for a while and were replaced with the Z906's.

To the OP: I think that one reason as to why there are so few quality computer speaker manufacturers around is because of the plethora of 5.1 headsets (or similar) on the market. Which is a real shame.. I much prefer bass that rattles my bones instead of just my ears.

sigpic

Comment

I still have the X-530s hooked up to my system.

I have the Z623's on my TV and for 2.1's they sound exceptional.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                  I still have the X-530s hooked up to my system.

I have the Z623's on my TV and for 2.1's they sound exceptional.
                  How are you liking those 530's?
                  Mine sometimes pick up police radios through the cabling and deliver it through the speakers if I have the volume turned all the way down.

Good for music, and keeping up to date with current (police) affairs :p

Comment

I've never had that problem with my set, even when I had the 5ft extension cables attached to them. Then again my apartment is built like a bomb shelter.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I have Logitech 540's and they make my 2 story house boom/shake. Logitech computer speakers are some of the best out there. I have a couple stereo sets and the 5.1 540's in my room. If you wanted to go beyond and have a truly sensational setup pick-up a good home theater in a box (e.g. Denon, Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha) then use some optical connectors.
                      sigpic

Comment

I decided to take the plunge and get a good set of speakers (I hope) and a a/v receiver. I got the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe...sults;prodInfo

and a Denon AVR-1513

Amazon.com: Denon AVR-1513 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through Home Theater Receiver(): Electronics

Comment

I just bought myself a new Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 system. After hearing the quality of a real home theatre, I would never ever go back to those crappy Logitech speakers. Save yourself the hassle, for the same amount of money you could have a much better sound system.

Logitech z906 - $399

Onkyo HT-S3500 - $399 (This is Canadian pricing)

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i

Comment

I have the logitech x540's and I LOVE them. not as high wattage as the 906's but great, clear sound for 100 bucks.

Computer geeks has them for for 96 bucks. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...00149&cpc=RESX
                            and newegg has a $10 off coupon. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121053

here's some more reviews for you.
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121006

These have been in production for 6 years. There is a reason they haven't stopped selling them.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Oh. My. God. What a huge, fantastical, astounding difference! I just got all my speakers/receiver today, hooked it up....don't regret spending one cent on this.

Put it this way. For those of you who have home theaters, do you have better sound than you do for computer? If so, which do you spend more time using? Your computer? If so....you're doing it wrong. I have seen the light! And before you say that you watch movies on your tv, not your pc...well computer games have just as dynamic a range of sound as movies.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X