Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Starting out and need help

Hey guys im new here.
    I want to start off with a decent computer for PC gaming, particularly for Arma 2 and Arma 3 when it comes out.
    Would this be a good one to start with: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/300305...7Cprd:30030518

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Just Starting out and need help

No the video card that comes with that computer is one of the lowest end parts. To enjoy ARMA you would need something at least in the mid range.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

This page has a chart that shows video cards performance relative to one another. The closer to the top of the chart the better.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Well, if you want my opinion I say to stay away from the AMD FX CPUs. I had the 8150 and it's performance wasn't what I expected out of it. I say either go with an AMD Phenom II or an Intel. What kind of budget do you have to buy or build one? Depending on what you want, building your own computer can be a lot cheaper than buying one. I saved around $500 by building my own rig.

Comment

If you are dead set on getting an AMD computer, I suggest waiting a little while, since I think Piledriver comes out sometime between June and September... They say it will be better than BullDozer...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Cheers guys as I looked into it more i realized I would have to spend more to better quality, especially for a game like arma, just found this bundle, seems pretty good to me: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=BU-080-OE
          could you recommend anything to go with it?
          and my budget at the moment is only about 400 so i just want the minimum for high quality games like arma, and then i should be able to upgrade when i have more money.

Comment

Welcome to TG Havoc. I'm glad you found our corner of the interwebs.

My advice is to go with at least 6GBs of RAM and also current generation SSD. An SSD is pretty much a must upgrade amongst the ARMA community these days. The in game world is huge and the SSD does make a significant difference. Some folks have SSD's that only have ARMA stuff load on to them. Think big however. What you may not know is the ARMA updates and add ons and maps make for a huge folder. I think my ARMA folder is in excess of 20 GB's as it stands now and will likely get bigger.

Get the best Vid card you can but also remember that ARMA is very CPU intensive. There are lots of scripts running and lots of some missions have lots of background stuff going on. ARMA 2 has been optimised by the game developers greatly and game engine will be similar for ARMA III but still it's a beast and requires significant hardware to run very well.

I think the overclocked I5 chip will serve you well.

My rig

I7 960 overclocked @ 3.75
            6 GBs Corsair Dominator Ram DDR3 @ 1600
            OCZ Vertex II SSD
            EVGA GTX 470 1.25 GB Video Card
            Corsair 750 Modular PSU

For the most part I'm running on high in ARMA and experience good FPS across the board. Occasionally I will experience a lag on FPS depending on the mission and the scenario at hand. This will be my rig for ARMA III, at least initially.....
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thank you Grunt 70 you've been a huge help :)
              I think i am just going to purchase the bundle to start with and find a few other things to add to it.

Comment

That bundle looks okay considering I do not know the prices of hardware in pounds. You will need a number of other components to go with it though. Enclosure, hard drive, power supply, video card. Considering that the bundle is going to eat most of your budget I do not think you would be able to complete the build to adequately play the games you are interested in.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yea i know im going to need to wait until i have more money i also have a 1tb external hard drive i could probably use for memory, the price of the bundle in dollars is about $550, i will just continue to look for deals until my budget has increased.

Comment

This is the list i have come up with so far:

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.40GHz Sandybridge CPU
                    Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68
                    Corsair vengeance blue low profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz C9
                    Corsair A50 CPU Cooler
                    Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
                    OCZ PSU 650W
                    1TB external HDD
                    Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
                    this will cost about 530 or $840
                    could anybody please recommend a case for this & am i missing anything else?

Comment

Cases are really a big time personal preference item. Take some time at a site like newegg.com to review the many many options. Not sure you can order from them but it is a great site to gather information as there are many user reviews.

I like a big case that allows ample air flow. For me this is more important than noise. Currently I have a Coolermaster Cosmos. It's a higher end case that may not fit your budget and it's no longer available...but I'd recommend Coolermaster to anyone.

Here is a page of lesser priced Coolermaster cases at Newegg. like I said you may need to order them somewhere else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&srchInDesc=

I also have a Thermaltake Shark from my first build. This was also a higher end case. Love it still to this day and would recommend a Thermaltake case to anyone as well.

Here is a page of lower priced Thermaltake cases from newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...me=Thermaltake

Save up for a higher end vid card. 260 will suffice, barely, IMO, for ARMA.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

OK thanks very much.
                        Will save for a higher end video card since that seems like an important part of quality.
                        Also those coolermaster cases seem like a good deal will see if i can purchase one :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X