R520 Ready for production

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R520 Ready for production

"X-bit Labs reports that ATI's new lineup of GPUs have passed PCI-SIG certification and are in production ready form:

According to the current PCI Express Integrators List, ATI's R520, R520 GL, RV515 XT and RV530 XT chips for desktops have successfully passed validation procedures. Additionally, the list indicates that there are new mobile products from ATI Technologies, which are presumably based on the new R520 architecture and are made using the same manufacturing process, on the pipeline: M52GL, M54GL, M56 and M58, which are also officially PCI Express compliant."

Got it from anandtech.com
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: R520 Ready for production

Can't wait, twice the power of my present card, although an expensive upgrade this time as I've got to go PCIe to keep her future proof...

AMD64 3500+ | Abit AV8 3rd Eye | 2x512 PC3200 Ballistix 2-2-2-5 | X800XTPE

Comment

twice the power of the x800 series? Got any links?
      |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by BadKarma
        Can't wait, twice the power of my present card, although an expensive upgrade this time as I've got to go PCIe to keep her future proof...
        twice the power.... omg that makes me cry.

All this pci-e talk and twice the power makes me cry becuase I have an agp slot. I guess the x850 pe will become really cheap though.

Comment

^^ you won't need to buy a PE, just get any XT and overclock that mofo. I'm still increasing my x850XT clocks, it's great :D

besides, AGP's still just as good for single card users, it's bandwidth threshholds have not been reached yet, but here we are, jumping into a new spec. I'm keepnig my AGP for a couple of years still. I kinda see it currently like PATA and SATA when it first came out. ntil cards really make use of that additional bandwidth, there's no point in me getting an SLI board.

BadKarma - One thing I've learned in my years in IT, is that nothing is futureproof ;)

Comment

Also the R520 will have an AGP version.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
              ^^ you won't need to buy a PE, just get any XT and overclock that mofo. I'm still increasing my x850XT clocks, it's great :D

besides, AGP's still just as good for single card users, it's bandwidth threshholds have not been reached yet, but here we are, jumping into a new spec. I'm keepnig my AGP for a couple of years still. I kinda see it currently like PATA and SATA when it first came out. ntil cards really make use of that additional bandwidth, there's no point in me getting an SLI board.

BadKarma - One thing I've learned in my years in IT, is that nothing is futureproof ;)
              Well I read on some forums that companies would no longer be making higher end agp cards. The new nvidia card (6900?) was PCI only so I figured they were right and that I was doomed.

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
              LEET. :D

Comment

I dont really have much of a clue with ATI cards, their naming convensions really confuse me :(

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by T_BEAR
                  Well I read on some forums that companies would no longer be making higher end agp cards. The new nvidia card (6900?) was PCI only so I figured they were right and that I was doomed.
                  That'd put a dent in potential profits for nVidia, the market is saturated with AGP motherboards, and only a small percentage of computer users are going to drop money on a new motherboard and power supply, to accomodate the graphics card upgrade they want. There must always be an interim period, even in the fast-paced computer industry.

ATI made the right move by developing a PCI-E-AGP bridge chip, there are far too many AGP systems out there to ignore. The games I'll be playing for the next few years will be based on Doom3 and Valve's Source engine - BF2 being the current exception, and my AGP x850 handles them all beautifully. I won't be jumping on PCI-E for a couple of years, minimum.

ps - that new nvidia card is the 7800 series

Comment

Just waiting to see how well thier minipci-e parts are. That's a true test of how far the companies have gone, not just "Up the pipes! Up the clockspeed!".

I am amazed at the performance of the GeForce 6800 Go

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
                      twice the power of the x800 series? Got any links?
                      http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23752

Ok, not twice but a single card out doing SLi 6800Us... :D

They are releasing an AGP version, but you can't run Crossfire when you've saved another £350... :D
                      Last edited by BadKarma; 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM.

AMD64 3500+ | Abit AV8 3rd Eye | 2x512 PC3200 Ballistix 2-2-2-5 | X800XTPE

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
                        I dont really have much of a clue with ATI cards, their naming convensions really confuse me :(
                        You should learn them. NVIDIA was better than Ati when they started the Geforce TI series, but ever since then they have been falling behind. NVIDIA cards run hotter, have much higher clock speeds and are more expensive than ati cards but they perform equal too or less than Ati cards. You may say that NVIDIA performs better on doom3 or bf2 but once you turn the resolution up and increase the AA and all that good stuff, NVIDIA cards suffer. This is what I have experienced and have seen with benchmarks. I don't understand why people buy nvidia cards =/

Comment

The ATI numbers for this gen are the R520 which is the high end, the R580 will be super high end (out next year), the R515 is the low end and the R530 is the mid range. The R500 is what is in the Xbox 360 and unfortunately we won't be getting anything that is better then that until the R600 series. I am sure though that dual R520/R580 will give you compareable preformance to it.

I wonder if the R580 will have an AGP version.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

The ATI numbers for this gen are the R520 which is the high end, the R580 will be super high end (out next year), the R515 is the low end and the R530 is the mid range. The R500 is what is in the Xbox 360 and unfortunately we won't be getting anything that is better then that until the R600 series. I am sure though that dual R520/R580 will give you compareable preformance to it.

I wonder if the R580 will have an AGP version.
                            XBOX 360 having a better graphics gpu than any current desktop gpu pc pisses me off. I find it lame that they won’t sell the same one to the pc market.

Comment

^^^^I agreed but then again it might be marketing hype. Ya know how Sony and MS love hyping things up. However I did read an article on anandtech so I think that might be true. Its supposed to have like 42 pipelines or something. I dunno why they don't release one for the PC market now hell they could even release a stronger card.

Also Nvidia has said the same thing granted they did mention a 7800GTX Sli is about as good as the RSX. ( I think thats what its called.)
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X