Good deal at Newegg on OCZ Vertex III

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good deal at Newegg on OCZ Vertex III

Just scored an OCZ Vertex III for less than $100. Almost 50% off. Thought I'd post it up and let anyone know who might be in the market.

The Vertex III has had some issues early on but from what I've read here and there firmware released at the tail end of 2011 fixed those issues.

Ive been running a Vertex II for a couple of years with zero issues. The Vertex III will allow me to finally use my Sata 6Gbps transfer rate on my Asus P6X58D motherboard. The Vertex II was not able to utilize those rates (did they fix it in a firmware update??)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227759
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Good deal at Newegg on OCZ Vertex III

still not sold on SS drives....there fast but I still see way to many failures in the ratings for the cost.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I hear you Ven. The price is right so I thought I'd take a calculated chance. My first OCZ has been rock solid so hopefully it will be the same story.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I have had 4 drives.. a corsair f60, 2 OCZ Solid3's and a corsair Force GT 120. All of them have been rock solid. Temp files wear out an SSD... pagefiles, cache... all the crap your OS likes to rewrite 100 times a second. keep that junk off there and make your SSD basically read only - and it will last for decades. My corsair f60 is set to die in July of 2021.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
          I have had 4 drives.. a corsair f60, 2 OCZ Solid3's and a corsair Force GT 120. All of them have been rock solid. Temp files wear out an SSD... pagefiles, cache... all the crap your OS likes to rewrite 100 times a second. keep that junk off there and make your SSD basically read only - and it will last for decades. My corsair f60 is set to die in July of 2021.
          Uh......how does one do that?
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I was going to keep my OS on my first SSD and migrate all my ARMA stuff and other games to the new SSD. Still, the OS lives on an SSD at any rate so we'll see.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I'll echo Ven's question, DdogG: How do you relocate the temp files and cache? Symlinking the directories, or is it more involved? (I'll google shortly, but feedback from someone who's got first-hand experience beats random google results 11 times out of 10)

I've had one of these in 60GB for over two years with no trouble. quite happy with its performance, but I'm not looking to get more than four years' life out of it. By then, I expect SSDs to improve enough that I might as well upgrade for the efficiency and capacity gains.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

My opinion is if you get an OCZ, do no put your OS on it. OCZ is a bit sketchy with their reliability right now. I have a 120GB Kingston Hyper X with my OS and a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 with my CPU intense games (ArmA 2 and DCS Black Shark). But right now I'd say to pay out the $140-$180 to get the Kingston or something like the Plextor M3, Samsung 830 or Crucial M4. I've heard too many stories about OCZs to trust putting my OS on it.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeface View Post
                  My opinion is if you get an OCZ, do no put your OS on it.
                  If you're not getting an SSD to use as the boot drive, why bother in the first place?

--BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                    If you're not getting an SSD to use as the boot drive, why bother in the first place?
                    Game and program load times???

Comment

I haven't noticed a significant improvement in those. Certainly not on the level of OS boot time improvement.

--BlackMirror
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                        Game and program load times???

This is the reason. My OS is already on an OCZ Vertex II. I'm happy with that and it's been rock solid for just about two years.

My Asus MB has 6Gbps capability. The Vertex II was unable to utilize that but according to specs the Vertex III can utilize that capability.

I'm an ARMA player big time and basically I'm buying this for my ARMA activity. I'll probably migrate some other games to it as well but it's all about the ARMA.

At under $100 even if it doesn't work out optimally I figured it was worth the opportunity.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                          I'm just saying dish out the extra $30 and get something like a Crucial M3, which has more space and more reliability. OCZ is to sketchy in my opinion to put my Windows on. I have games on mine, so if it crashes, I'm not sitting around for a month or so twiddling my thumbs while staring at a $3,000 desktop sitting in my room.

Comment

I've had Win 7 running on an OCZ Vertex II for 18+ months now.

I'd say it's been well worth the money (120 at the time). No problems to date. Will not be too upset when it inevitably dies...

If it dies I can just put Win 7 on the 1TB Western Digital drive I use for all my games/storage. Or just walk to a brick and mortar and get a cheap hard disk drive...

It's not like I'd be screwed for days upon days.
                            Skud

Comment

sorry it took so long to respond.

pearl, right click 'computer', properties, advanced system settings, environment variables, change "temp" and "tmp" to a HDD in the top "User variables for________" and again in the bottom "System variables" and click ok. go to settings under the performance box, advanced, virtual memory 'change', choose the "c:" drive, choose "no paging file", 'set', choose the same hdd as your temp directory, custom size, set to whatever (same in both boxes), 'set', ok, ok, ok, restart, delete all temp files from ssd. turn off hybernate (start, run, powercfg -h off)

you will still get some OS creep from the stupid winsxs folder, but keep an eye on the free space of your ssd, and when it goes down significantly, check the "downloaded program files", "installer", "softwaredistribution" and any hidden folders from windows update. delete if needed.

I have a dedicated 120gb sataii 32gb cache hdd just for temp, cache, and pagefile - half the drive is pagefile (48gb) and the rest is cache... and adobe wears the cache folder out.

You do have to make sure your programs are set to play nice with your settings. Premiere refuses to use the system settings, and must be set manually for each new project.

you will wind up with an almost stagnate and read only SSD (other than the winsxs folder, like I said earlier)

btw, my current OCZ solid 3 120gb is set to die in November of 2027, and has had 40gb of free space since I installed the os on it during the build of my current i5 rig - more than 5 months.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X