New video card cooler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New video card cooler?

I posted a couple weeks ago about getting some artifacting issues with my video card. It seems that my card is just overheating, and that I should upgrade the cooler on it. I've got zero experience replacing these, but I'm sure it's not hard. Just got a couple questions before I head to newegg:

Any recommendations for a good/cheap cooler for my 9700 Pro All in Wonder?

Do I need to worry about thermal grease or anything? Pretty sure that's just for cpu's but I wanted to check.

Thanks!
    Beatnik

Re: New video card cooler?

I had an Arctic Cooling VGA Cooler (revision 3?.. or 5?.. i forget) on my 9700, they should fit on your AIW I think. Large heatsink, with the exhaust going out of the case, instead of re-circulating inside. and quiet. My god, the difference from my stock ATI cooler was blissful.

I also bought RAMsinks for the memory, I don't think the VGA Coolers for the 9x00 series cover the memory chips... I could be wrong though.
    |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
      I posted a couple weeks ago about getting some artifacting issues with my video card. It seems that my card is just overheating, and that I should upgrade the cooler on it. I've got zero experience replacing these, but I'm sure it's not hard. Just got a couple questions before I head to newegg:

Any recommendations for a good/cheap cooler for my 9700 Pro All in Wonder?

Do I need to worry about thermal grease or anything? Pretty sure that's just for cpu's but I wanted to check.

Thanks!
      They are easy to change, just follow the instructions ;) And yes, GPU's run hot, in most cases hotter than today's CPU's. You definitely need thermal grease. Most GPU coolers will come with some.

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
        I had an Arctic Cooling VGA Cooler (revision 3?.. or 5?.. i forget) on my 9700, they should fit on your AIW I think. Large heatsink, with the exhaust going out of the case, instead of re-circulating inside. and quiet. My god, the difference from my stock ATI cooler was blissful.

I also bought RAMsinks for the memory, I don't think the VGA Coolers for the 9x00 series cover the memory chips... I could be wrong though.
        Same, works great!
        |TG-42nd|Lt James
        Please read our , , , .

Comment

You probley just need to blow the dusk off the cooler that is on there.

Comment

Yeah I cleaned it out pretty well a couple weeks ago. It's still running hot though - I'll occassionally get the same artifacting on screen, at which point I know I need to turn off the PC and just let it cool.

Thx for the feedback so far - I'll definitely look at that AC one. It's worth the money to not have to worry about needing to replace the card. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too!
            Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
              Yeah I cleaned it out pretty well a couple weeks ago. It's still running hot though - I'll occassionally get the same artifacting on screen, at which point I know I need to turn off the PC and just let it cool.

Thx for the feedback so far - I'll definitely look at that AC one. It's worth the money to not have to worry about needing to replace the card. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too!
              Shoot Gary an email at www.sidewindercomputers.com. I have bought most of my cooling stuff from him, he is fast, top notch, and a damn nice guy. Ask him if he has the AC for your video card. He had the best price I could find on the AC, even better than newegg.com (by a decent amount).

Comment

IMO a 9700 doesen't need a new cooler (a cleaning maybe, depending on how clean you keep your computer :) )unless you are overclocking.Having an exhaust fan next to your vid card usually helps alot. My 6800gt was overheating alot a couple months back and i just bought some more powerful system fans and an exhaust right under the card on the side of the case and it fixed all my problems.
                Hope that helps.

---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...