GFX Card with $200 budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFX Card with $200 budget

Hi guys, I've been talking with a friend who is looking for a graphics card for his computer. He has a $200 budget for a card and he is looking to get 2 years out of it.

His requirements:

1) 2Gb ram

2) will last him at least 2 years

3) will keep him "in the game" for those 2 years...

Basically, he is looking for a card that won't let him down 2 years from now, so he can play games on high now and still play the future games at least on medium two years from now... Can he find one for under $200?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: GFX Card with $200 budget

To get that kind of performance he'll have to dish out about $50-$60 more than $200. That would put him in the AMD 6950 range, which he can flash to a 6970. Other wise he'll have to settle on something like a 6850 or a 6870 which only have 1GB to keep under the $200 range. There's the XFX 6870 which has 2GB of onboard memory, but I'm unsure of how well it will be in 2 years. It's a good GPU, no doubt. But I doubt that in 2 years it will handle newly released games at even medium graphics based on how much the graphics of games have evolved in the past few years. I'm skeptical on my XFX Radeon 7970 being great in 2 years because of how fast technology evolves.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150563

Comment

Just got a 2 gig 560ti for a touch over 2 hundred.

Tigerdirect.com.

sent from the phone using magic
      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

These Guys never let me down

The HD 7850 and the GTX 560 Ti are very closely priced but the 7850 outperforms the 560 by about 10%

Also need to make sure your power supply can handle the GPU upgrade check the power requirements for the 12V rail and make sure it can handle the current

If you go the AMD route stick with XFX and if you go the NVIDIA route try EVGA

The 560Ti prices should keep dropping with the 670's hitting the shelves it should be below 200 in the next 6-8 weeks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-4.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ance,2968.html
        sigpic

Comment

I find it interesting that the 7970 Ghz edition now claims to be edging out the 680 so do you think a price drop will be coming?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

A price drop where? Please be a little more specific.

Comment

a price drop on the rest of the 7000 series cards or will the rumored 8000 cards be coming out later in the year be what brings the price down? Hmmmm... time will tell...

Comment

I'd love to see the 7970s take another price drop. I really want to Crossfire, but another one (at $500 for XFX Radeon Double D Black Edition; I have the single fan version) is out of my price range right now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X