need new anti-virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need new anti-virus

I an running AVG anti-virus free addition. Looking to get something else free. Suggestions please.

AVG is starting to crash a lot and wants to be my search engine etc.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: need new anti-virus

I've been really happy with Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't had a virus or any other hinky stuff on any of my systems since I started using it.

You have to be running Vista or Windows 7 in order to use it though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
      I've been really happy with Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't had a virus or any other hinky stuff on any of my systems since I started using it.

Yeah, Microsoft Security Essentials is really good from what I've heard. I use AVG in tandem with Ad-Aware (for it's anti-malware and anti-spyware). It does me really good as I've gotten 0 viruses on my laptop or desktop.

Comment

I just run AVG. As for anti-spyware/malware these days I just suggest equipping your browser with AdBlock, Ghostery (or similar), WOT (or AVG Link Scanner), and a keen mind. Also if you're tech savvy you can use a virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox) and test unknown problems on a sandbox OS install. Another recommended tool is CCleaner.

The best commercial solutions right now are ESET NOD32 or G DATA. Only other free solution I'd really recommend is Avast.
        sigpic

Comment

I use MSE as well, no problems now in 24 months.

Comment

If you go the free route, get malwarebytes antimalware (In addition to whatever AV you get). Run it every so often just as a check. Any antivirus can be circumvented. Your best bet is always proper backups, strong passwords, and a rescue disk if it happens.
            Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
            A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Panda cloud
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post

Ive been using this for quite a while now. Its excellent, free, and I have had zero problems with it.

Comment

Here's the funny thing about AV software;

Many users assume that because their AV software is not providing alerts to them about infections that their system is clean. This is absolutely 100% incorrect and a rather dangerous point of view to take. The lack of alerting does NOT equate to a lack of infection.

There are three primary factors I look for in "AV" solutions, the first of which is functionality far beyond simple "AV".

1) Rapid releases of signature based detections - covers known malware and known bad actors.
                  2) Reputation based engines - analysis of software based on the source of the software, popularity, and validation of hashes.
                  3) Integrated system protection - provides protection against system level changes not tied to a specific application but appear rogue.

Right now I'm running Norton Internet Security 2012 to satisfy those needs. The system overhead is quite low and you can see at any point exactly how much of your clock cycles and memory are being used by the software and how it effects the performance on your machine. Speaking of performance; one of the things it's great at doing is establishing baselines for what processes SHOULD be using and then providing alerts if something starts going crazy. I pay about $80/year for protection on three machines. I plan on sticking with NIS until something else comes along that does a better job more efficiently.

FWIW: Most people are infected with some sort of malware/adware and simply don't realize it or don't detect it.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post

FWIW: Most people are infected with some sort of malware/adware and simply don't realize it or don't detect it.
                    So it's like syphallis right?

:) :)
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

God I just hope that whoever infected my avg/mse "protected" computer is part of anonymous and uses my computer for some nice cyberactivism :p.

THanks for this info, Apophis, I learnt something there, altough paying for antivirus is not on my to do list, I will at least be less fooled by the "no infections detected" message.

Q to Apophis, what is the best free solution in your opinion?

Comment

My least favorite AV suite is Norton Internet Security. I have used it on two different occasions in the past, and the overhead for running was ridiculous. It slowed my system down all around. Maybe the newest version is better, sounds like it might be according to what the poster said above. However, I am still skeptical of it and probably will never use it in the future.

Comment

i use avast free , but i dont know theres something sketchy about this program... if only NOD 32 was free :(

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                            My least favorite AV suite is Norton Internet Security. I have used it on two different occasions in the past, and the overhead for running was ridiculous. It slowed my system down all around. Maybe the newest version is better, sounds like it might be according to what the poster said above. However, I am still skeptical of it and probably will never use it in the future.
                            It changed drastically 2 releases ago. They're using a new detection engine that's considerably more efficient. The new engine used in NIS2011 is also used in their enterprise products as of SEP12. It's good stuff.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I use Norton 360 on my business and norton 2012 Norton Internet Security on my home machines. 360 is overkill, but I use some of some of the features only it supports. If I was to go the free route, I would probably use the Ms defender or security essentials thing.

I also run anti malware bytes on occasion just in case...

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X