Memory Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Recommendations

Ok all, I believe I am getting bottle necked at my memory spot as I am running some really old pc2700 memory.

I am looking to upgrade to either 2 or 3 gigs of memory that isn't to expensive and will give me a pretty good punch. Put your recommendations here and prices!

My specs currently are:
    Mobo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Current memory: 1.5 gig of (2 512 2700 sticks I believe, and 1 512 pc3200) Kingston all around
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    Video Cards: ATI x800xt and ATI Elite Wonder Tv Tuner
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live 24 bit
    Case: Lian Li
    Power supply: I don't remember, but will be upgrading to a 400 watt
    [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
    TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Re: Memory Recommendations

BF2 takes about 1,3Gb with all options at max so you should have enough if you don't run to many background applications.
    You may get lower loadtime and have a better chance of getting the CO position or cap a flag before the rest, but I don't think you need to. On the other hand, FEAR and some other new games this autum would love 2GB+ so fire at will..
    "That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on ... that rabbit's got a vicious streak. It's a killer"

Comment

This is what I ordered specifically to run BF2 with no issues:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...y_Code=DDR-PDP

Great memory for the price/performance. This is of course assuming you can use PC3200 at it's full speed.

Comment

Go to Pricewatch and place this in the search:

corsair CMX1024-3200

You'll get a listing of Corsair 1 GB 3200 memory modules starting around $130. Your best bet is probably newegg because they offer free 2nd day shipping.

Corsair is the best memory, in my opinion. I run 2 512 MB 3200 Corsairs myself.

And you will see a huge difference in performance, because with your current setting I suspect your dual memory channel is not working.
        Telorn

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Anymore would still be appreciated.

Marco, I do lots of video editing for my site and I also try to record using FRAPS while playing. So, I need as much memory as I can get. My mobo tops off at 3 GB i know for sure.

I have never heard of Patriot, is it a decent brand?

Comment

Patriot is sound mate, that's a nice bargian if you ask me, half the price of what we pay in the UK. 2x1GB is enough for anything and being as you've got 2 stick, (not 4x512), you don't have to worry about you mobo defaulting to 2T.

Good choice im my opinion.

AMD64 3500+ | Abit AV8 3rd Eye | 2x512 PC3200 Ballistix 2-2-2-5 | X800XTPE

Comment

3GB memory will actually lower your performance because your MB won't be able to run in dual channel mode, effectively cutting your memory access speed in half.
              Telorn

Comment

Well, then it looks like I'll go with the 2 GB patriot. WHy won't it run dual channel with that extra stick? I am not a hardware expert.

Comment

It's not just dual channel that causes issues. The Socket A line mobo's can't transmit data fast enough to efficiently utalize chips larger than 512mb. They also have problems if you're using more than 2 ram slots on your motherboard. If you're using 1GB ram modules, or several modules there is latency generated from the mobo that hurts your performance. Get 1GB of good PC3200 (2x512) and remove the slower stuff. Remember, ram only runs at the speed of the slowest module. So having pc2700 in with pc3200 means all memory is running at pc2700.

And, Contrary to popular belief, you can run ultra quality settings with 1 GB, provided you're playing at a sane resolution (1024x constitutes a sane resolution). The only reason you need 3GB of ram is because you're trying to play at 16xx+ resolutions. The higher the res, the more ram your PC needs.

In order to run in dual channel all your memory needs to be in pairs (2 sticks of 512, two sticks of 1gb, etc.), and most mobo's only have dual channel support on the first two ram slots.

And also, don't go cheap with your PSU. Buy a quality Namebrand like Antec (which I highly highly recommend) You might be surprised at how much your PSU is effecting your PC's performance as well.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

So spyder, you believe that 2, 512 sticks in the right slots will be better than 2, 1 GB sticks?

Comment

I believe it can be based on your setup. If you like playing in really high resolutions, then by all means get more ram. it causes latency, yes, but you won't notice it over the general power draw from running it that high anyway. If you only play in 1024x resolution anyway, then I don't see a point in getting more than 1GB. It's all about give and take based on your personal preference.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

I see, well i just upgraded my vidoe card from a 9500 pro. So, I have been running on low setting the whole time anyway, but let me tell you want I mainly you use my computer for.

#1, I do small amounts of video editing for my site just about everyday. It is mostly just encoding.

#2 I am also trying ot run FRAPS while playing to record videos. I don't play at any super high resolution and don't really care too just medium/high settings are nice.

So, these are the two main things I use my computer for. Based on this what would you or anyone else that wants to chime in suggest. All, I want to know is if I get 2, 1 GB sticks they will at least run better than 2, 512 sticks with what I want to do.

Comment

With video editing and especially rendering, I would deffinantly suggest the more ram the better. FRAPS is also very ram-intensive. If it's not a big deal in your gaming, Then I'd say go with the 1GB sticks, as they will make a difference in your rendering times, and as an added bonus you can play in higher resolutions if you want :D.

Comment

Thats what I figured, 2 GB it is, and I will leave the third slow open of course.

Now to choose the brand, it seems the patriots seem to have pretty good reviews and best bang for buck, so I guess I'll stick with those.

Comment

ive never heard of that brand, im looking for some new sticks myself, currently running x4 512 value with its obvious faults and require some quality stuff,

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X