Maximum PC Dream Machine 05

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum PC Dream Machine 05

The newest issue of Maximum PC features the 10th annual Dream Machine. This version is called Dream Machine X (roman numeral) or DMX for short. The cover reads Dual Everythign and they tried to live up to it.

Specs:
    Dual AMD Opteron 275s (Dual Core processor)
    Tyan K8WE mobo
    Silverstone Tj07 case
    8GB of RAM (8x 1GB Corsair DDR 400 RAM registered)
    SLi 7800GTX
    2 Dell 2405FPWs widescreen 24in LCD
    2 Plextor PX-716SA
    an 800watt power supply
    5 Hitachi 500GB HDD in a RAID 3 array
    and for the sound they managed to get a Sound Blaster X-Fi

Total Cost: 12,870 and that number doesn't include the cost of the Sound Blaster.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Maximum PC Dream Machine 05

that a pretty sick set-up, any ideas at what the sound blaster x-fi is gonna retail at later this month?

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Redundant Power supply or no?
      There are going to be three models of the x-fi, an extreme gamer, mid range, and 'casual' card.
      If i remember correctly there is a $130, $200, $250, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

thanks for the info, that doesnt sound too bad considering sound advances dont come all that often, im running a 6600 gt sli setup and cant use both monitors with it enabled, so whats the stance with the 7800's? did nvidia fix that issue?

Comment

What is the x-fi, I never really got into sound stuff.
          [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
          TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
            that a pretty sick set-up, any ideas at what the sound blaster x-fi is gonna retail at later this month?
            I read four models of X-Fi.
            "The Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro, priced at US$399.99, the Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS, priced at US$279.99, the Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum, priced at US$199.99 and the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, priced at US$129.99." Ripped from FiringSquad.com.

Release date is supposedly August 22nd.

FiringSquad Link

Herse

Comment

next generation of soundcards from creative, they boast their own onboard ram much like video cards and use a whole new processing system (apparently) though ill beleive it when i hear it

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
                thanks for the info, that doesnt sound too bad considering sound advances dont come all that often, im running a 6600 gt sli setup and cant use both monitors with it enabled, so whats the stance with the 7800's? did nvidia fix that issue?
                I think they did the article didn't mention anything about the dual monitors not working.

I forgot to mention that it dual boots Windows XP pro and Pro 64.
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

For any who might be interested you can get the X-Fi Fatality version directly from Creative for $199.99 if you pre-order before August 14th. This seems like a good version as it comes with the on-board RAM. 8-10 weeks for shipping, which is a bit ridiculous, and shipping was $3.00 UPS Ground for my ZIP. I get the feeling that there will be some deals to be had rather quickly with these cards. Source:Techbargains

X-Fi from Creative

In other news the 7800GT graphics card was released today and MonarchComputer.com (who is a reputable seller) has the eVGA version for $399. Source: Fatwallet.
                  7800GT

Happy shopping.

Herse

Comment

Someone explain to me why my sound card needs on board ram? Is the X-FI series replacing the audigy series of sound cards? Do audigy cards come with on board ram? My audigy2 sound card is working quite well right now with my 5.1 setup so I see no need to upgrade :)

Comment

Your audigy still uses the CPU for some help and it doesn't have on board RAM. THe X-Fi is an attempt to make the sound card not use CPU cycles and from what i have read it is very successful at that.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Yeah. From what I've read, the sound difference will be mostly minor (better support for 7.1 etc, slightly better quality) but the CPU drain will be significantly improved. It's not a huge difference for today's power computers, but hardcore OC'ers will tell you that 5-10% can make a monster of a difference, so *shrugs*. I have heard that the new headphone setup is supposed to be sweet though. I personaly am just going to stick with my audigy2, because I don't need to spend $200 on a new sound card for a performance boost that I don't need, thank you much.
                        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

sounds like nice technology, but i'll wait until someone other than creative is using it.

every creative pc component or external peripheral i've ever owned has died. i don't care if they have developed god-like quality control, hundreds of dollars in broken crap is enough to make me never buy from them again.
                          [TG]epheneh

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X