Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I have a power supply that has too much power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have a power supply that has too much power?

I am in the process of building a new computer. I built a computer for a friend a while ago and his Corsair Professional 1000 watt power supply had gone bad. I sent it off for repairs and put a new system together. Corsair sends back the PSU here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128514

He sold it to me for about 1/2 of what it sells for on newegg.

Here are the things I am looking at buying for my computer:

CPU - Intel 3770K, Intel 3570K, or AMD 8150(already have motherboard for it)
    MB - will figure this out when I buy the CPU
    Video - Nvidia GTX 670, AMD 7970, or AMD 7870 crossfired (bought at 7870 for $225)

The following have already been purchased:
    Antec DF 85
    Corsair H100
    G.SKill 2 x 4GB ram
    Plextor M2S 128GB ssd
    WD Black 640GB hd
    Asus blu ray burner

I currently have a TX750, but I am thinking the Corsair Professional AX 1200 will future proof me forever.

Please let me know what you think.

Re: Can I have a power supply that has too much power?

If you got the funds to buy a 1200w power supply..then why not? Only thing though is that make sure it has lots of plugs for PCI-E stuff like graphics cards, 6 pin and 8 pin alike. When i got my 1000w i didnt really pay close enough attention and i dont have very many graphics card plugs.

Im sure a 750w would do it, but like i said..if you got the funds and it wont hurt your wallet too much then there is no reason why not to buy it.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

It does not make much sense to grossly over purchase on a power supply. It also doesn't hurt anything other than your wallet at the time of purchase. You will spend slightly more on power since it'll run a bit less efficiently than one with appropriate output, but not enough to bother worrying about.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

pay for quality first. get in the wattage range you think you will need in the next few years (650 to 1000 seems to be holding steady) then buy the best quality psu you can afford in that wattage range.

I spent 220 dollars on a seasonic 860ap platinum power supply after more than 30 hours of research. the clean power and rock steady performance - not to mention build quality and craftsmanship - is worth it.

Ask yourself if you really want to risk your 1000 computer to 30 bucks in power delivery. (its kind of like buying a porsche 911 gt and putting the cheapest tires you can on it. sure... they will work, but it only takes one thunderstorm and your new toy will be a pile of scrap metal.)

conclusion: buy quality before quantity.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

The link is a MOBO....so that won't work LOL

One thing to remember is like any power supply utilizing capacitors....they degrade over time.

if brand new = 1000W

2yrs later = 850W

power supply caps seem to degrade faster than normal high voltage caps.....not sure why. I never buy a PS hoping to get more than 2-3 yrs out of it, by then I am usually ready to upgrade again and require more power anyway.
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Ven u could jsut fully submered your system and then you wont have the heat degrade your caps as fast :) turn a 2-3 yr PS into a 4-6 yr

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

Oopsy. The power supply is a Corsair AX-1200 and he sold it to me for $150 so for the money I do not think I can do much better. Thanks for all the help folks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X