OSx86

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSx86

Who else is installing OSx on thier regular PC?
    We can join a TS and work on it together.
    also, join #OSx86 and #OSx86.deep on irc.osbetaarchive.com .

My laptop plans:

Tri-boot with windows, mac os, and linux.
    Grub as the bootloader is the only way to dual boot with OSx86, but it is possible now to install on a seperate partition, instead of the previously needed seperate hard drive.

If you are going to get this working type the following:

Computer: The only specs should be the name/model, processor and SSE3 or SSE2, the memory, video card, and hard drive.
    Method: How are you doing it? is it a vmware install? native? Dual-Boot?
    Progress: How far into it are you?
    Tips: What small things did you need to change?
    Other: How well does it run, any issues?

I will start.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 9300 | 1.6Ghz P4M (sse3) | 1gb DDR2 533mhz | 80gb 5400rpm hd | geforce 6800 go
    Method: I am taking this and modifying it to set up a tri-boot between WinXP nLited, Mac OSx86, and Arch Linux.
    Progress: I have all the necessary install files, and the tutorial changes ready. All i need is the time to install.
    Tips: None so far.
    Other: None so far.

Re: OSx86

OSx?

As in OS 10 for the Mac? For the PC?

Hmmm..... Is it commercial or something I can download?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

It's semi-warez, available via bit torrent.

What they are doing is taking the OSX and hacking it to run on PCs. They are rewriting and bypassing the processor specific code, TDM, and whatever other locks Apple put on the OS using the code from the last ADC.

There is a good piece on it over at wired.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125...w=wn_tophead_1

That said, I'm interested. If I can find a link, I'll test it.

Computers: Compaq Presario 6400NX (PC), Presario 2100US (Laptop)
      Method: multi-boot (XP, Linux (Tactical OS Base), OSX)
      Progress: Loking for a link.

Comment

Ahh, so this is essentially hacked code for the new Mac x86 platforms and not really for PC x86 platforms? There are no official plans for Apple to release this as a Windows-alternative OS?
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
          Ahh, so this is essentially hacked code for the new Mac x86 platforms and not really for PC x86 platforms? There are no official plans for Apple to release this as a Windows-alternative OS?
          The underlying OSX code doesn't really need the CPU specific code. BSD, the unix code they start with, runs on 22 architectures (NetBSD figures). So that part can't be that difficult. Getting the interface, or third party apps, ported might be the major hurdle.

Odd that Apple has not stepped in to shut this down: in fact, they are lurking in the IRC channel to see what the team is doing. They might be gaging how much interest there is, how hard it is for a third party to do, etc....

I'm really hoping they do release this as an alternative OS.

Comment

^^^^I highly doubt it but in a way it is. The x86 Macs should let you dual boot with no problem. Anyway if anyone can make a link or find a link post it. I wouldn't mind seeing why a good portion of the people I have meet online are like OSX>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>XP.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm
              Who else is installing OSx on thier regular PC?
              We can join a TS and work on it together.
              also, join #OSx86 and #OSx86.deep on irc.osbetaarchive.com .

My laptop plans:

Tri-boot with windows, mac os, and linux.
              Grub as the bootloader is the only way to dual boot with OSx86, but it is possible now to install on a seperate partition, instead of the previously needed seperate hard drive.

If you are going to get this working type the following:

Computer: The only specs should be the name/model, processor and SSE3 or SSE2, the memory, video card, and hard drive.
              Method: How are you doing it? is it a vmware install? native? Dual-Boot?
              Progress: How far into it are you?
              Tips: What small things did you need to change?
              Other: How well does it run, any issues?

I will start.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 9300 | 1.6Ghz P4M (sse3) | 1gb DDR2 533mhz | 80gb 5400rpm hd | geforce 6800 go
              Method: I am taking this and modifying it to set up a tri-boot between WinXP nLited, Mac OSx86, and Arch Linux.
              Progress: I have all the necessary install files, and the tutorial changes ready. All i need is the time to install.
              Tips: None so far.
              Other: None so far.
              Why do you need to run 3 os? For fun sake?

Comment

Originally posted by T_BEAR
                Why do you need to run 3 os? For fun sake?
                That's nothing. Last month, testing distros for Tactical OS, I have 4 live linux partitions, plus one XP partition, and a linux swap partition.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_GEEK
                  That's nothing. Last month, testing distros for Tactical OS, I have 4 live linux partitions, plus one XP partition, and a linux swap partition.
                  And next month he's going to show you how to build your very own cray supercomputer using toilet roll, tin foil, egg cartons and some sticky backed plastic ;)

Root
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo

most OS'es ever for me I think was 16.

dos 6.22 (40 meg)
                    win 3.11 (100 meg)
                    win 95 (250 meg)
                    win 98se (500 meg)
                    winme (1 gig)
                    win nt4 (500 meg)
                    win 2k pro (1.5 gig)
                    win 2k sbs (3 gig)
                    win xp home (3 gig)
                    win xp mce (3 gig)
                    win 2k3 beta (3 gig)
                    linux mandrake 10 (4 gig)
                    linux rh9 (4 gig)
                    FreeBSD (4 gig)
                    Solaris (4 gig)
                    BeOS (4 gig)

plus swap partitons, data partitions, etc. all on one hard drive.

this was on my old athlon system. I did it 1) just to see how it was done 2) bragging rights 3) I was bored

I could have done a lot of redundant stuff, like win 95 b,c,d, win 98, 2k server, advanced server, xp pro, 50 linux versions, etc, but I tried to get as many different os'es as possible. I am about to go for a winxp home, BeOS, FC3 x64 triboot.

also with vmware, I have 40 different os'es installed... the coolest thing about vmware is that the installs are portable.

It was an interesting project, I suggest everyone do something like this at some point... you will learn a lot.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                      most OS'es ever for me I think was 16.

dos 6.22 (40 meg)
                      win 3.11 (100 meg)
                      win 95 (250 meg)
                      win 98se (500 meg)
                      winme (1 gig)
                      win nt4 (500 meg)
                      win 2k pro (1.5 gig)
                      win 2k sbs (3 gig)
                      win xp home (3 gig)
                      win xp mce (3 gig)
                      win 2k3 beta (3 gig)
                      linux mandrake 10 (4 gig)
                      linux rh9 (4 gig)
                      FreeBSD (4 gig)
                      Solaris (4 gig)
                      BeOS (4 gig)

plus swap partitons, data partitions, etc. all on one hard drive.

this was on my old athlon system. I did it 1) just to see how it was done 2) bragging rights 3) I was bored

I could have done a lot of redundant stuff, like win 95 b,c,d, win 98, 2k server, advanced server, xp pro, 50 linux versions, etc, but I tried to get as many different os'es as possible. I am about to go for a winxp home, BeOS, FC3 x64 triboot.

also with vmware, I have 40 different os'es installed... the coolest thing about vmware is that the installs are portable.

It was an interesting project, I suggest everyone do something like this at some point... you will learn a lot.

nerd. ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X