What video card?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What video card?????

I'm looking at spending $300-$400 range and was wondering what video cards i should be looking at in that range.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: What video card?????

Nvidia GTX 670 O/C or the Radeon 7970 3GB if the price is still reduced (as a result of the release of the Nvidia 680).

Would be helpful to know what games you intend to play and at what resolution, however either of those cards is outstanding.

Comment

Yeah, $300-$400 will get you just about any graphics card on the market. I'm more particular to AMD cards, so I would go with a 7970 or a 7950.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
        Nvidia GTX 670 O/C or the Radeon 7970 3GB if the price is still reduced (as a result of the release of the Nvidia 680).

Would be helpful to know what games you intend to play and at what resolution, however either of those cards is outstanding.

Sorry i should have said that at the start... BF2, BF3, COD's, and racing games. maybe some ghost recon as well with hi res if possible.

Comment

Lol np, but what rez is your monitor today.

Comment

I am still in the building stage and don't have a monitor yet...just trying to finish up a list so i know what my final cost's are to finish my build.

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...9999,2968.html
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20600%20series
              sigpic

Comment

I am only going to talk about Nvidia because that is what I know and love. :row__593:

Low: GTX 560 (For the budget minded gamer)
                Mid: GTX 670 (Great standalone card, when in SLI they put out extreme performance)
                High: GTX 690 (The latest and greatest dual pcb card it's "SLI on the beach")
                Envy: GTX 6xx Hydro (Only if you plan on doing some extreme water cooling)
                sigpic

Comment

Def you crazy, the 690 is a beautiful piece of gear but ridiculous money wise (said with some degree of envy, nearly pulled the trigger on that monster and thought, "no I'm not certain my other half would be impressed" lol.

EVGA 680 SC+ owner here, very happy with it, but probably a little outside the stated budget. At present the bang for buck champion is looking like the 670, of which we are starting to see factory overclocked versions which push the reference 680 pretty close. Does great in SLI as Def says. ATI 7970 3GB does very well in Arma but Nvidia edges it in most other titles, though the Nividia 670 and 680 have forced a considerable price drop on it.

You could also hang on till Nvidia drop their GK104 range in soon. This range will supposedly contain a single GPU card that bests the reference 680 but isn't quite as extreme as the 690. This of course will reshape the whole pricing structure of both series of cards.

Comment

You mean the new GK110 cards? Expected release is not till Q1 2013. GTX 670 is the card for you.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                      Def you crazy, the 690 is a beautiful piece of gear but ridiculous money wise (said with some degree of envy, nearly pulled the trigger on that monster and thought, "no I'm not certain my other half would be impressed" lol.
                      Well I labeled them for saneness; low = budget, med = you can afford it, high = go big or go home, envy = get ready for the drool coming through the screen. The thing with the GTX 690 is although it is super expensive it is like getting two 580's on one card. This is great for smaller cases that want beefy graphics or for those looking to create quad SLI setups. I admit that it is awfully expensive but it is a true feat of computer engineering. Then to put a cherry on top EVGA goes and creates one of the best water blocks on the market for it, ** Homer Simpson drool **.

All that being said my recommendation for the OP is the GTX 560 or GTX 670. Also please promise me that you will not go and SLI GTX 560's, it's a waste of your money. Buy a GTX 670 or 680 and wait for the price drop in Q1 2013.

Just for some performance specs in relation to a few games. I currently run GTX 285's in SLI. In BF3 on Ultra @ 1920x1080 I average 90+ fps. In ArmA 2:CO (ACE) maxed out settings no post-processing, and high AA I average 100+ fps at 6000m on Takistan and ~60 fps at 2000m within Fullajah (30+ while recording full res in PlayClaw).
                      sigpic

Comment

The guy at a local computer shop said the GTX570 would do me just fine for games right now and future proof me for a few years yet..... This sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by QuickShotSims View Post
                          The guy at a local computer shop said the GTX570 would do me just fine for games right now and future proof me for a few years yet..... This sound right?
                          If you are looking to save money or can't spend your original budget, yes, however with that in mind make sure you purchase a card with at least 2Gb of video memory. Also the computer shop guy sounds a little flaky saying future proof, unless he's talking about the latest card that came out otherwise he is just pushing old merchandise of the shelf (ask for special pricing). If your budget is really in the $300 - $400 range I would personally at this moment get a GTX 670 and wait till Q1 2013 to purchase a second for SLI.
                          Last edited by DeF; 07-31-2012, 04:28 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

What do people think of the 7950/7970? Sry, didnt want to make a 2nd thread if there is already one up.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickShotSims View Post
                              Lolzzzzz trying to sell you old stock by the sounds of it.

@KWALC
                              Yes both good cards once overclocked. What resolution you running?
                              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                              Former ARMA Admin
                              Former ARMA TGU instructor
                              Former TGU Headmaster
                              Current Noob
                              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse