Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 vs AMD HD 7970 Ghz edition and a ram question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 vs AMD HD 7970 Ghz edition and a ram question

Hey all. I know this is similar to a previous thread, but I did not want to hijack the other thread so I started my own.
    Here is my system:

Intel i5-3570k
    Corsair H100 CPU cooler
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    DDR3 1600 8gb ram
    Corsair AX 1200 psu
    Antec DF85

I play BF3 and games like it mostly. I am currently using a 7870, but want more fps.

It is my understanding that the 670 and the 7970 are very similar in performance in games, but that the 7970 has some more things that make it a better all around card and thus a little more future proof. I will be using the system for Adobe CS, making movies, etc. so I am leaning towards the 7970, but I keep reading everything about the 670 being such an awesome card that I am a little hesitant on which one to go with.

Also I wanted to know if you guys think 16gb of ram is worth it or should I simply get 8gb of DDR3 2133 overclocked ram.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 vs AMD HD 7970 Ghz edition and a ram question

You can look it up at Tomshardware.com. I think I read there that the Gigabyte GTX 670 trumps the 7970, and is only surpassed by the GTX 680 *any brand* but only by a about 2 fps overall. However, the 7970 has 3gb ram vs 2gb. You could save some cash get a 670 now, and wait till the price goes down and pick up a 2nd one and not have to worry about micro stuttering with the amd's and have a bright and happy future with 2x 670's.

sigpic

*Proud to have served in the 11th Airborne Infantry*

Comment

monitor? resolution? multi monitor? it all matters now days when talking about graphics cards. Give us some more info
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
        monitor? resolution? multi monitor? it all matters now days when talking about graphics cards. Give us some more info
        I have a Samsung SyncMaster T240HD and it is 1920 x 1200. Most likely I will be staying with only that monitor for a while.

Comment

I went for the GTX670 and 16 gb of ram.
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

With a single monitor at that res 2gb is plenty of VRAM. As for system memory I would recommend 16 gb of the highest clock speed your MOBO can handle. Simply because memory is dirt cheap and you could carry it over if you upgrade your MOBO a few years down the road
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I bought a EVGA overclocked 670 with 4GB of VRAM and am getting about 78 FPS on BF3 with ultra on a Samsung 24inch running 1920x1080 90 degree FOV vsynch off and no tearing
              sigpic

Comment

if you are using Adobe software, AMD video cards should be off the table anyway. the cuda cores make premiere's mercury playback engine silk smooth.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

670 gets a higher performance score and a better value.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
                  http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
                  [TP]Cavazos
                  www.tigersplatoon.com

Comment

I just ordered me a Gigabyte 670 OC, looking forward to swapping out this GTX 470.

Comment

Assuming you haven't ordered yet, a GTX 660 Ti might be a better choice. From all the reviews I've read and charts I've looked at, it comes within spitting distance of a GTX 670 @ 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 (difference of 1 - 8 fps usually). Unless you plan on gaming across multiple monitors or gaming on a resolution higher than 1920 x 1200 (say a 30" LCD with 2560 x 1600), then the GTX 660 Ti would offer you a almost 670 performance without spending another $100 more.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have a 7970 and the performance from it is awesome. My preference is AMD as from the couple of Nvidia's that I've had have done nothing but pissed me off with the support programs for them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X