help me! (New PC build/upgrade)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me! (New PC build/upgrade)

well im gona buy a new computer soon so i can play battlefield 2/do other things.. but allot of people are saying how they have problems with battlefield 2... so i dont know if i should get a new computer anymore...

(im willing to spend around 1000$ canadian just for the pc)

Re: help me!

Haven't had ANY trouble with BF2.

When you purchase the computer ($1000 total) figure that no matter what CPU you pick up, you will need to bump up the ram to about 1 gig and get a non-OEM graphics card. Some will tell you to build your own, here would be my suggestion and of course assuming just a tower...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1117176782327
    AMD 64 bit with 1600 mhz front side bus
    1 gb 3200 DDR
    PCI Express card open (Buy a PCI Express Card)
    Also sports: DVD Burner, WIndows Media Center (built off of XP Pro, but no video inputs)

Recommended Video Card... Gforce 6800 256 mb Overclocked PCI Express...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1109234017954

That would be $650 + $400 =$1050... Well in that price range. If you do decide to go a little cheaper, then back down to the 6800 128 mb PCI Express which should be about $100 less. EA and Nvidia are strong supporters of one another and it's well worth going with Nvidia over ATI just for that reason.

I do not personally like Emachines, but PC World loves them and you can't pass on the specs for the money. Just my thoughts.

Lucky Shot

Comment

If you're in Canada, you might want to check out NCIX (http://www.ncix.com); I've had nothing but good experiences with them over the past several years, and their prices are excellent (also, they're in BC, so if you're not in BC, you don't pay the provincial sales tax).

For around $1,000, I recently put together a quality machine for a friend that runs BF2 acceptably well. For a bit more money (for an improved graphics card and possibly another GB of RAM...1GB is adequate for BF2 but 2GB is better), you could get a machine that runs BF2 very well.

FWIW:

PIONEER DVR-109 DVD-RW 16X6X16 DVD+RW 16X8X16 DUAL LAYER+-R 6X CDRW 40X24X40 INT IDE NO SW OEM BLACK $66.98
      CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB KIT PC3200 DDR CAS2.5 2X512MB $117.98
      AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ PROCESSOR S939 VENICE 1.8GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 90NM RETAIL BOX $189.98
      SAPPHIRE X600 PRO PCI-E 256MB DDR VGA DVI TV-OUT LITE RETAIL VIDEO CARD $119.98
      ASUS A8N-E MOTHERBOARD ATX S939 NFORCE4 ULTRA DDR PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID GBLAN SOUND $153.53
      ENERMAX EG495P-VE NOISETAKER 485W POWER SUPPLY ATX12V 24 PIN P4 & PCI-E READY $103.70
      MITSUMI FA404A-BK 7-IN-1 FLOPPY DRIVE & FLASH READER CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS BLACK $28.77
      WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR SE 200GB HARD DRIVE SATA 7200RPM 8MB CACHE OEM 3YR MFR WARRANTY $143.75
      LINKSYS WMP54GS WIRELESS-G PCI NETWORK CARD 802.11G 54MBPS 2.4GHZ W/ SPEEDBOOSTER $82.95
      Shipping & Handling: $28.98
      Shipping Insurance: $15.11
      SUBTOTAL: $1,051.71
      GST (7%): $73.62
      TOTAL: $1,125.33

You may need to add a case (if you don't already have one), but on the other hand you probably don't want the wireless NIC.

As far as a reasonably powerful but inexpensive video card goes, I've heard good things about the BFG GEFORCE 6600 GT OC PCI-E 128MB which goes for around $240 Canadian.
      |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Today I added another gig of RAM bumping it up to two gigs and BF2 runs awhole lot better....

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Well, you're not going to upgrade just for Battlefield 2 either. You'll be able to do other things with less slowdowns. You want to set yourself up for future games that'll be just as demanding as BF2.

Did you already buy BF2 or is it going to be the first game on the buy list once you upgrade?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

first game im gona buy... but this computer im gona use for school and stuff also..

Comment

would it be cheaper to buy the seperate parts and put it together, or would it be cheaper to do one of those pc builder things.. (but if i do a pc builder im gona have to upgrade allot of stuf..)

would u guys be able to "build" me a computer on here with everysingle computr parts (including fans and stuff)? i dont mind if it goes over budget by like 100$

Comment

Generally, it's cheaper to put it together yourself. You definitely learn a lot more and it really isn't hard to do. Definitely compare prices with pre-built and DIY. You never know if you will find a deal at Dell or some such place. If you get some place to build it, then you have a safety zone. If you have a problem, you just bring it back and let the dealer fix the problem.

One thing to note is getting BF2 will eat a lot of time. Your schoolwork may suffer! :p

- It's who you game with.

Comment

so can any one post parts that i should get to make a good computer?

Comment

Re: help me! (New PC build/upgrade)

anyone?

Comment

DFI NForce4 Socket 939 Motherboard

AMD Athlon64 3000+ Processor

1GB(2x512) Corsair DDR400(PC32000 RAM

GeForce6800

That will equate to a powerful system, more powerful than you really need, but it will play the coolest games for a while. No need to pay 100-200 dollars more for a tiny increase in performance. Newegg.com is a great site for searching for computer parts. Also, www.motherboards.org is good for learning about what computer parts do and how to put them together. They have a how-to walkthough of putting together a PC.

Comment

You mention build/upgrade... What components do you alreadyhave. Should we be assuming that you have the basics, mouse, keyboard, moniter..

What about Hard drives? Optical drives etc...

For schooling do you need anything special?

Where are you located and is buying local important to you?

Comment

Case (I prefer full size towers)

ThermalRock RH-F030-2SW(Silver) Circle Case Elegant Aluminum front door with acrylic panel and exchangeable CD storage $169.00

Power supply (not brand name but lots of power and cheap)

585 Watt ATX PS w/SATA & 24 PIN Adapter (OEM) $39.00

Motherboard (basic ASUS board but socket 939 for upgradeability)

Asus A8NE-FM Socket 939 nForce 4 Micro-ATX Dual-Ch DDR400 1 x PCI-Express x16 6-Ch Audio 10/100 Lan IEEE 1394 (Bulk Pack) $111.00

Optical drive (I bought this identical drive and love it, does EVERYTHING)

LG GSA-4163 Beige DVD +/-R/RW/RAM 16x16x4x4x5 Dual layer IDE OEM $55.99

Memory (Single 1 GB stick for future upgrade to MOBO's max of 2 GB)

Kingmax PC3200 DDR400 1024MB 184-pin DIMM $144.00

Hard drive (Good name S-ATA for future RAID upgrade)

Western Digital Caviar SATA (WD1600JD) 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer (OEM) $102.00

Video (6800 GT 128 card. not the biggest and greatest but will do BF2 nicely)

XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 PCI-Express SLI Ready w/ Dual DVI, TV-Out (Retail Box) $209.99

CPU

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz Socket 939 (Retail Box) $182.99

Total is 1,013.97 before taxes. Their prices are 2% cash discounted as well. So you will need to add 2% if paying by credit.
                          Shipping to any province is a simple $10 handling fee.

This is the store i am now exclusivly dealing with. They are local to me so I can just walk into their store.

And finally the link to the store... Canada Computers

Comment

i live in toronto... and i dont need anything too special.. just stuff like microsft word and such....and i have all the "regular" components (mouse/keyboard/monitor..) and one of my friends dad is a computer enious.. and he told me - "don't ever go with AMD processors for compatibility and other reasons. Go Intel. 2.8 or 3ghz would do a killer job. " ..so i would like to stick with intel..

Comment

Originally posted by adonis
                              i live in toronto... and i dont need anything too special.. just stuff like microsft word and such....and i have all the "regular" components (mouse/keyboard/monitor..) and one of my friends dad is a computer enious.. and he told me - "don't ever go with AMD processors for compatibility and other reasons. Go Intel. 2.8 or 3ghz would do a killer job. " ..so i would like to stick with intel..
                              your dad's friend is an idiot.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X