Blue screen crashes :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue screen crashes :(

Last night I started getting blue screen crashes. My hard drives are cooking hot, but the case is open with a big fan blowing over them. How do I narrow down what is causing my crash? CPU going? Graphics going? System drive running out of space? (I deleted files this am) Bad hard drive about to fail?

The error message said something about a file named: dx???????.exe I don't know much but sounds like a direct x or graphical prob.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Blue screen crashes :(

When you say cooking hot, what is that in Celsius or Fahrenheit (or Kelvins if your into that kinda stuff)?

Also before I forget please get Speccy and upload a snapshot. Also please create a dxdiag and upload it.

If possible also take a snapshot of the bluescreen with your phone or a digital camera and upload it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
      When you say cooking hot, what is that in Celsius or Fahrenheit (or Kelvins if your into that kinda stuff)?

Also before I forget please get Speccy and upload a snapshot. Also please create a dxdiag and upload it.

If possible also take a snapshot of the bluescreen with your phone or a digital camera and upload it.
      Or go into your bios and make sure that the option to wait for keypress before restart on blue screen is on and just write down the stop code. Most of the time it will be something like

"0x0000*****randomnubersandletters"

Then google it!
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Ok just after perusing the info I would suggest updating to the latest video drivers. The temps look OK across the board.

Does the bluescreen happen under load or at random?
        sigpic

Comment

They happen once the computer heats up. Those temps were not taken right after a blue screen crash. I was able to turn my graphics down last night & keep ArmA running. So I'm inclined to think it's the graphic card heating up. I'll check I have the latest drivers & I've got a nice large steel blade fan blowing like mad on the open tower now.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Is the GPU fan running at 100%? If not try forceing it to run at 100% and see if it helps. Also I might suggest pointing the box fan blowing away from the computer if you have the side panel off. If you want it blowing across take off both side panels.

Also if you want to do a heat test grab something like FurMark or similar. Then monitor the GPU temp's, typically if the temps go above 85c I would end the test as that is pretty much the upper limit of most cards.
            sigpic

Comment

That sounds like graphics to me. Once a GPU reaches critical temp ~80C(no matter what the manual says, it's physics) then instability is a risk. Symptoms include the PC suddenly shutting off(If if has thermal protection built in and/or BSODS.

What gfx are you using? If it is an old card, it is possible that it needs to be hit with duster(canned air) as dust is among the top culprits, or its possible that the thermal conducting paste between the actual die on the GPU and the heat sink that absorbs the heat/energy has deteriorated. In which case, call to see if you have warranty on it, or replace it yourself.

This is just my two cents gleaned from what I have read about your post.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Unk post up some spcs ie GPU. You can grab GPU-Z here. Great little program for monitoring temps.

Moving on, illogical as it sounds taking off the side panel, even with an external fan blowing, can actually increase temps as it can mess with the designed air flow of your case. If you have the other panel on you could actually be trapping hot air in the case by blowing it back in rather than exhausting it.

To check this please check what the CPU and GPU temps are with case closed. You can also grab CPU-Z here. (Does the same thing as the GPU version, but for CPU's, obviously).

Pics of your case with the side panel off would be helpful. This will give us an idea of your air flow, number of fans, proximity to CPU and other gear that could generate heat or prevent proper air flow. In addition details of the ranges of temps you are seeing across the board, case closed, case open, idle (desktop) and under load.

As has been mentioned clean out the fan on the GPU. I do it by shutting down the system and leaving it for a while to ensure the GPU temp is all the way down to ambient. I then remove the gpu and use a combination of an air duster (can of compressed air) and a synthetic brush to gently flick the dust off the fan blades. When using compressed air be careful never to tilt the can, as this can lead to water spraying out the can rather than air (condensation) lol, I have learnt that to my near great cost. Leave the card for a bit after cleaning to get back up to ambient and ensure any condensation is gone and then reinstall. (apologies for the grandmother suck eggs explanation but I like to be thorough).

Let us know how you get on mate.

Comment

Wicks makes a good point, opening the case is not a good idea unless you do not have good airflow, the case needs to be closed with fans taking in air and extracting it, it is all about getting the heat out of the case, if you leave the case open air is just flowing around all over the place both cold and hot, with the case closed air is taken in and picks up the hot air in the case and extracts it, it can only do this if the case is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                    They happen once the computer heats up. Those temps were not taken right after a blue screen crash. I was able to turn my graphics down last night & keep ArmA running. So I'm inclined to think it's the graphic card heating up. I'll check I have the latest drivers & I've got a nice large steel blade fan blowing like mad on the open tower now.
                    Airflow Unkl, airflow. It's not all about how much air you are pushing onto the hardware. If you have more air flowing in then you are exhausting, then it'll cause problems same as if you did not have enough air flowing in.

[Edit] Ah Wicks already brought up airflow. Nice! :D

As for GPU temps and such, post them if you have them. And post your rig specs. Without knowing what hardware we are discussing, it's hard for us to say it's X or Y or Z.

@ Dimitrius,

Unless my info is way out of date, 80 C as a critical GPU temp is not correct. Last I recall most GPUs had a 125 C critical temp. So given that a generation or two ago some cards would run at 80 C to 95 C and be fine, I'd say GPU overheating may not be the problem (assuming that is what you guys established so far).

A sudden PC shutting down could be other problems as well. It is not exclusive to a overheating graphics card. It may also be a overheated CPU, failed HDD, OC and OV circuits kicking in in your PSU, PSU fried, motherboard died, power surge, etc.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      [Edit] Ah Wicks already brought up airflow. Nice! :D
                      Also I might suggest pointing the box fan blowing away from the computer if you have the side panel off. If you want it blowing across take off both side panels.
                      Good thing I brought it up 6 days before Wicks. :row__644:

Edit: When I last talked with Unkl regarding this he said he had sorted out the issues. I might ask him directly on TS.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good thing I brought it up 6 days before Wicks. :row__644:

Edit: When I last talked with Unkl regarding this he said he had sorted out the issues. I might ask him directly on TS.
                        :p

Yeah would be nice to know if he resolved his BSOD issue and what he did to resolve it. :)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The orob is solved. My case us an old one that was laying around & doesnt have any fans in it so ivw left the side panel open & have a couple fans on it one pushing air out and the other in. Investing in a good case wirh cooling may be mt next move.

To stop the crashes ive turned the graphics way down in ArmaA. I had post processing at high but thats off again and all my textures are down. The graphic card is a ati 5740. My hard drives were stacked on top of each other & getting them so hot I now have them outside the case in direct air flow.

Ill keep experementing with options like removing the other side panel to increase the flow.

Thanks for the help guys.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Hmm, so it sounds like you were overtaxing your graphics card and had overheating hard drives. :o Are you looking for cases now Unkl or later?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X