Temperatures.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperatures.

Hi guys, i recently resat my GTX 560 into the 16x PCIE slot, re-installed all drivers etc. Since then, temperatures have rocketed (idle @ 45c) aswell as everything else going haywire, BSOD's, CPU temp rocketing, and i also noticed bizarre jumps in voltage with the VCore and DRAM.
    I'm contemplating a full wipe, and new set-up including new thermal paste, and air flow redesign, however there were no problems before this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Temperatures.

Well, let's first get some specs on the rest of your computer. What CPU, MOBO, RAM, case, PSU and HDDs/SSDs you are using. Also the OS.

Comment

Would make sense wouldn't it?
      AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Knight @3.6Ghz
      Asus Crosshair IV Formula
      8Gb Kingston @ 1600
      Coolermaster Advanced 690 ii
      800w
      3x 500Gb Hitatchi DeskStar
      Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Comment

Oh, AMD theres your problem right there. JK

Just out of curiosity, where was your graphics card before you moved it and why did you move it? Was it acting up before and you moved it or just because?

As for your GTX560 temp...45 isnt overly high. My GTX570 currently running at 40 on idle with all case fans running at lowest values so 45 isnt too high, as long as its not hitting into like the 70s or 80s under load there isnt much to worry about there. Also could be because if the PCIE slot you moved it to is any closer to the CPU/ cooler it would restrict some airflow across it and keep it next to another heat releasing component.

As for BSODs, what are the stop codes? Make sure in your BIOS you have it set so that it waits for you to press a key before restarting on a BSOD. That way you get to write down the code. What the code says or post it on here and someone may be able to give you a better idea.

Also, when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your computer? Dust can have a HUGE impact on computer performance.

However, if i had to guess what was wrong I would have to say your mobo is probably dying. I only say that because I had similar issues with a MSI board on my last computer. For no apparent reason it would BSOD from a thousand different reasons. I wasnt once able to get a stop code to come up twice, it was a different BSOD every time. So hopefully for you, only one or two stop codes repeatedly show up so you can narrow down to what it might be.
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
          However, if i had to guess what was wrong I would have to say your mobo is probably dying. I only say that because I had similar issues with a MSI board on my last computer. For no apparent reason it would BSOD from a thousand different reasons. I wasnt once able to get a stop code to come up twice, it was a different BSOD every time. So hopefully for you, only one or two stop codes repeatedly show up so you can narrow down to what it might be.
          I would agree with this and I wouldn't rule out the power supply either. If it's putting out to much voltage it could definitely lead to problems system wide and overheating.
          sigpic

Comment

Well the MOBO is 7 months old, so i hope not!
            Yes dust i cleaned out every month, and yes the GPU got moved up a slot; which is closer to the CPU heatsink, i would have thought that the 2x2000RPM fans would dissipate the temperature. But apparently not, all seems well at the moment, no freezing, or anything along those lines. Today i shall order a closed system water cooler for the CPU (it'll give me more space as opposed to the CM V6) and hopefully help the airflow in the case aswell.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by B2ZMarine View Post
              Yes dust i cleaned out every month, and yes the GPU got moved up a slot; which is closer to the CPU heatsink, i would have thought that the 2x2000RPM fans would dissipate the temperature. But apparently not, all seems well at the moment, no freezing, or anything along those lines. Today i shall order a closed system water cooler for the CPU (it'll give me more space as opposed to the CM V6) and hopefully help the airflow in the case aswell.

Thanks guys!
              What is you case fan setup (i.e. front, rear, side, top and bottom)?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                If it's putting out to much voltage it could definitely lead to problems system wide and overheating.
                Well, depending on how many other things he has I'm sure he has plenty of room in voltage with his PSU. 800w is a lot.
                The mobo I had on my original setup died after 2 months. Very possible.

But it does sound like the mobo is dying. Try some of the steps gijoe suggested before buying a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeface View Post
                  Originally posted by DeF View Post
                  I would agree with this and I wouldn't rule out the power supply either. If it's putting out to much voltage it could definitely lead to problems system wide and overheating.
                  Well, depending on how many other things he has I'm sure he has plenty of room in voltage with his PSU. 800w is a lot.
                  This shouldn't need clarification but I was not talking about if the power supply could supply enough power (amperage). I was stating that if the PSU is supplying higher voltages than is expected it could be over-volting his entire system. This would cause almost every device in the computer to heat up and also has the potential to cause severe errors. As an example if the +12 volt rail(s) is supplying more than 12v, lets say 12.5v that would have a large effect on the mobo and cpu.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, had a clean today, replaced thermal paste, and re-did the airflow as-well-as a fresh install of windows and everything is back to normal. :)
                    Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Well, had a clean today, replaced thermal paste...
                      I would have been nice to see some before and after photos. I'm just imagining a fat cat licking crusty thermal grease off the processor dies. :row__632:
                      sigpic

Comment

Damn!
                        I was thinking about it, i just wanted to get it down though.
                        I'll document my next problem i encounter :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X