New graphics card on an old systme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New graphics card on an old systme

It's been a long time since I've been on these forums...

My trusty 880gt has passed away and I was hoping to get a new card to take it's place. I'm on a budget so was thinking about getting the gtx 560. My problem is I'm worried that the rest of my system is so old and creaky that buying this would be pointless.

My current system:

Motherboard: P35-DS3L
    Graphics: 8800GT
    RAM: 4GB
    Processor: E8200 @2.66Ghz
    Display: 23inch @ 1920x1080

I'm not wanting to spend more than about 200 if I can avoid it ($313). Please let me know if you think adding this card to my system is worthwhile!

Thanks in advance.

Re: New graphics card on an old systme

You will be tipping the scales towards unbalanced. Depending on the games you play and you expectations it may be worth it. Have you considered upping the clock speed on that processor?
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

OK, if I was able to swap out my processor for an i-72600k would that balance things out properly?

Comment

I'm running an older AMD cpu and I've benefited from each GPU upgrade I've done. I'm presently using a GTX460 (that is similar in performance to the 560) with a HD9750 quad.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

your motherboard won't take an i7 I don't think... (have not researched it)

I think your quad core cpu would be a slight bottleneck, but something always is... the video card is a cheap intermediate upgrade that you can transfer over when you upgrade mobo and cpu. I say do it.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

E8200 is a dual core, Q8200 which looks very similar was a quad core of the same generation. If you have any specific games in mind it would help us give you better advice on whether to upgrade or not.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

well a 560 will bump up over the old 8800GT. however it will be somewhat limited due to a dual core bottle necking it. How much will it bump up???....not sure.
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Pretty sure the P35 boards are LGA 775 so any I-series cards wont be an options unless you bought a new mobo woth it.

When i had my old build, almost identical to yours; i put a gtx270 in from my old amd 2600xt. Made a huge difference in games like BF2, but very little in ARMA or any more taxing games.

So if i were you id buy a newer card and then start saving your pennies for a new rig all together.
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Obi View Post
                  OK, if I was able to swap out my processor for an i-72600k would that balance things out properly?
                  Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                  your motherboard won't take an i7 I don't think... (have not researched it)
                  You won't be able to just swap in a i7, different sockets. You'd have to buy a whole new motherboard and possibly RAM (assuming you are on DDR2 RAM). That alone would cost more than $200 just for the processor alone.

If you must have now, then you could get a GTX 560 (non-Ti) to hold you over until a new build. I would suggest a GTX 660 Ti so you can bring it over to the new build later, but that is rather pointless if you won't be building for another few years, it goes over your budget, and you'd be leaving your current rig without a video card.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                    E8200 is a dual core, Q8200 which looks very similar was a quad core of the same generation. If you have any specific games in mind it would help us give you better advice on whether to upgrade or not.
                    oops.. good call, I could have sworn I read q8200. In that case, get a q8200 or q9300. Those should be drop in upgrades and will give you a pretty decent performance boost. just pick one up off ebay, since this is an end of life upgrade anyway.

that would help a 660 perform now, and you could move the video card over when you get a new mobo / cpu / ram
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X