CASE: CM Storm Trooper

MoBo: Asus Maximus V Gene

CPU: Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4 ghz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 "Windforce" 2GB

RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 1600

CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900Max-B

Extra case fans: Scythe "Ultra Kraze"

Flight Control System: Logitech G940

Hard drives will be pulled from my current system, 1TB hard disk and 1 60GB SSD

monitors will be 3 23" 1920X1080 16:9 LCDs

Main gaming will be flight sims and ArmA3

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Nice build.

Not knowing anything about the Zalman cooler, did you consider a H80 for 20 bucks more?

EVGA just released there 4gb GTX 670 FTW edition. Might help out if you plan on 5760x1080.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: Charles Darwin "Tumbler" Build

Holy cow...nice build. Love the dreamy triple monitor setup you already have. :D

Didn't see it in the list, but what about a PSU? Are you re-using the old one or buying a new one?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

First off nice case choice, I can't say enough about how nice this case is for such a little investment.

Ok now a few suggestions. The MOBO you picked is great but just as another choice you might consider this one.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

As for the RAM I strongly advise that you get a 2x8GB set so you can utilize the maximum memory capacity if you upgrade down the road. Also memory is dirt cheap now.

Now that CPU cooler is fine but you should really consider getting a closed loop cooler like the ones Corsair or Thermaltake now sells.
        sigpic

Comment

I am reluctant to use a water cooler because I move my pc a few times a year with the air cooler I just place some bubble packing around it to support the weight and I am good to go with water cooling I would be very worried, also I don't really want the pain in the butt of a water system with cleaning the water and what not

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
            I am reluctant to use a water cooler because I move my pc a few times a year with the air cooler I just place some bubble packing around it to support the weight and I am good to go with water cooling I would be very worried, also I don't really want the pain in the butt of a water system with cleaning the water and what not
            Well Charles you are in luck because these are closed loop systems. No cleaning, safe to move anytime (any orientation) and they are usually warrantied for 2 to 3 years but should last 5 or more. As for support when moving you don't need to as the pump and water block are compact thus are extremely secure.
            sigpic

Comment

There's a ton of options for closed loop liquid CPU coolers now. When I got mine it was either Corsair or Antec. Now Zalman and Thermaltake make them. Can't really go wrong with a Corsair though, they have great products and support. I have the H100, but an H80 would be more than sufficient for gaming.

Comment

So the cooler comes all ready good to go? no need to add water/clean water and the guarantee it against leaks(assuming there is nothing sharp against the hoses I am assuming)

Comment

So the cooler comes all ready good to go? no need to add water/clean water and the guarantee it against leaks(assuming there is nothing sharp against the hoses I am assuming)
                  Nope, they are already sealed and pre-filled with special water. Just mount the backplate, screw in the cooler and heatsink portion, plug in the fans, and you're good to go. You shouldn't need to refill the water for many years (probably > 5 years).

Personally I just bought a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme. It is very similar to the Corsair H100, but costs a bit more. I've read the hoses are bit more flexible than the H100's stiff ones and from reviews, in a push-pull config, even outperforms the H100.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

it is possible to refill though? If i were to keep the cooler or the PC for more than 5 years?

Comment

it is possible to refill though? If i were to keep the cooler or the PC for more than 5 years?
                      You probably could but once you do that the loop would be open to any number of things. As for the pump and radiator both could most likely be reused in a custom loop but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also it shouldn't be necessary to refill the system as it is considered fully sealed.
                      sigpic

Comment

I heard from a few friends that when they contacted their closed loop manufacturers' tech support, they suggested that if and when the cooler needed more water that they send it in to get it refilled (this was with Corsair and Antec units).

I'll admit it's a concern even for me, but in my case, I don't know if Thermaltake would even offer that kind of service considering by that time, my Water 2.0 Extreme cooler would most likely be years out of warranty and probably also discontinued.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think I'll go with corsair if I get a closed loop, ran across a few threads where people had bad units that leaked and corsair replaced the unit and sent checks to replace any fried components, which says a lot to me. I don't know thermaltake might do the same but I couldn't find any threads documenting it.

As far as refiling I am not super worried about because I usually replace coolers when I get a new PC anyways since they usually don't fit onto the latest CPU sockets after 5-6 years, but it would be nice if I decide to sell the PC with the water block in place to know that I wont be selling something that is going to fry in a few months after I sell it

Comment

Well you are not going to find any threads about Tt's Extreme leaking for a while. The cooler is pretty new and only came out a couple of months ago. You probably won't have any issues like that. It's rare to get a new closed loop and have it leak on you. Just as long as you don't play Twister with the hoses, you should be fine.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Just as long as you don't play Twister with the hoses, you should be fine.
                              Pretty much the best advice. If you get one and install it, make sure the hoses aren't kinked or twisted and are clear of any interferences like case fans. When I installed my H100, I barely caught that one of my hoses were sitting against the rear exhaust fan before turning it on. Probably won't do anything immediately, the hoses are thick and well protected, but could've been a disaster in the long run.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X